Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 13,763 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm Jess and I live in the south west of the UK.
I have a huge phobia of flying insects, grass hoppers, cockroachesand moths I know its stupid!! I can cope withe the english insects and I'm not afraid of the bee's and wasps (yeah I know they can hurt!!)
Anyway My family and I would like to move over to Rochester, I love the snow and only need to check out the summer bugs, If you can help I'd be so grateful
How much snow d'you guys get over there and which are the good and not so good places to live?
Thanks so much
Love Jess x x x x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,974,596 times
The south seems to have more cockroaches, the north seems to have more flies. I have lived in both parts of the country. Grasshoppers show up mid to late summer in NYS. Moths show up by your lights. I'd like to say there arn't any. But up north at least they have a shorter season.
As usual you get a whole lot more in the country then in the city. I don't think we really see any misquitoes where we live.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:21 PM

131 posts, read 790,371 times
Default Bugs

Well, we live in Brighton (a suburb on Rochester's east side) and I really can't recall an overabundance of bugs. We certainly haven't seen any cockroaches since we moved in about a year and a half ago (loud knocking on wood here!) :-)
We do have moths flying around the porch light during the summer, but they are small ones, not large scary ones.
And we do get our share of mosquitoes, but nothing out of the ordinary. I mean, you're not assaulted with swarms of mosquitoes (or any other flying insect) when you walk out of the house. It's not like the Adirondacks, where the black flies are really a nuisance for much of the summer.
I guess the most prevalent "nuisance insect" is the yellowjacket wasp. We do have those in the cracks and crevices of the wall in front of our porch, and they also come around if we're eating outside. I hate those (but you say they don't bother you much, so there you go!)
Oh, we also have cicadas in the summer--I don't know if you have them over there--they are very large flying insects that make a loud noise in the trees at night. You don't often see them but every once in a while one will fall in front of you--I do not like them!
Regarding snow: I think we average about 100" of snow a season, sometimes more. Fortunately, it doesn't all fall at once :-) The city and towns are pretty good about keeping the streets passable, but you do have to employ sensible winter driving methods. Are you used to driving in snow at all?
As to where to live, I wouldn't want to comment until I knew more about your family, whether there will be kids in school, etc.
Hope this helps!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,675,773 times
You will get house centipedes and silverfish sometimes. I hate them.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,370,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJessM View Post
Hi I'm Jess and I live in the south west of the UK.
I have a huge phobia of flying insects, grass hoppers, cockroachesand moths I know its stupid!! I can cope withe the english insects and I'm not afraid of the bee's and wasps (yeah I know they can hurt!!)
Anyway My family and I would like to move over to Rochester, I love the snow and only need to check out the summer bugs, If you can help I'd be so grateful
How much snow d'you guys get over there and which are the good and not so good places to live?
Thanks so much
Love Jess x x x x
I too have a cockroach phobia, which factored into my moving from the Deep South US to the Northeast US many years ago. I am much happier here. We do sometimes have ants in the spring but no big deal. The nice thing about bugs up here is that it is possible to leave food (like fruit in a bowl) out for a while & not worry about bugs. In the South if food was left out the bugs would be all over it.

I think you would like it here. I am partial to Fairport, a Rochester suburb. If I can adjust to the snow, moving from a place that never had it then you will be fine coming from the UK, especially if you love it. Another plus the Rochester area has is that you can get almost anywhere without having to drive for long periods of time.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 13,763 times
thanks so much, How do you cope with your phobia and does it present itself much, ie do you see roaches? I am trying to find a hypnotherapist in the uk that can try and cure me of it, i can't tell you how much it bothers me. Oh tell me about cicadas?
Thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,370,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJessM View Post
thanks so much, How do you cope with your phobia and does it present itself much, ie do you see roaches? I am trying to find a hypnotherapist in the uk that can try and cure me of it, i can't tell you how much it bothers me. Oh tell me about cicadas?
Thanks

I just avoid them like the plague. And if you live in a place that is too cold for them to survive, it's pretty easy to avoid them. Now, I am referring to the big, flying ones that live in Louisiana, where I am from originally. The little ones creep me out too but I only very rarely see them here when I go to others' homes. In those instances, I can usually hold it together until I can leave.

To be honest, I don't run into cicadas very often up here in the Rochester area. I live in the suburbs and keep the doors CLOSED. Bugs are not a big deal here.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:30 PM

99 posts, read 287,520 times
Oh, you mean locusts! We have them all over the place in the mid-summer but they are harmless, just sit on a tree and buzz. You rarely see them. **** roaches may be dependent upon the neighborhood you frequent. I have yet to personally see one outside the city proper but certainly given the right circumstances, they will move in.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:04 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,557,933 times
Honestly the only bug infestation in Upstate NY that I consider to be icky is the annual tent caterpillar swarm, but that only lasts for a few weeks from late May to the end of June. Then they turn into moths and you don't see them for another year.

I don't know if Rochester gets them too bad but they can be kind of disgusting particularly when they get squashed.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,829,217 times
I live near the sticks... so I get a lot of spiders, lady bugs, caterpillers, butterflies, moths, grasshoppers!!!!, crickets, these black thin beetles with an orange stripe on its back (don't know the name), praying mantas, flies, bees,wasps, mosquitos!!!!!, japanese beetles!!!!!!...... These are my avereage every summer infestation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area