U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:29 AM

150 posts, read 267,955 times
Default Is there anyone moving from Rochester, NY?

*I searched for similar threads but didn't find anything specific on this topic

Hi to all,

I'm planning to move for economic reasons. I was wondering if anyone is planning to move from the Rochester area? If so, why? List three reasons. Where would you like to move to?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 AM

1,293 posts, read 2,736,292 times
I don't know of anyone specifically who has moved from Rochester. I know the county had a small population gain and it is the second largest economy in the state. I know a whole lot more people who moved to Rochester from other parts of the state, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Long Island. A couple people I know from other states.

Most people I know who moved from upstate NY moved because they were teachers and there are not enough positions. If I were single I would rather live in Buffalo, farthest would be NYC. I'm not moving south again, we have family upstate and the monthly commute is a royal pain, not to mention the heat/humidity and housing prices down there.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,133,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I don't know of anyone specifically who has moved from Rochester. I know the county had a small population gain and it is the second largest economy in the state. I know a whole lot more people who moved to Rochester from other parts of the state, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Long Island. A couple people I know from other states.

Most people I know who moved from upstate NY moved because they were teachers and there are not enough positions. If I were single I would rather live in Buffalo, farthest would be NYC. I'm not moving south again, we have family upstate and the monthly commute is a royal pain, not to mention the heat/humidity and housing prices down there.

Same here. I lived in NC for 13 years and am now very happy to be back in Rochester. Most people who I've heard of leaving Rochester for the south (atleast the large southern metros like Raleigh, Charlotte, and Atlanta) leave because of the taxes; only to find out that even with considerably lower property taxes the cost of living in the south is still higher than it is in Rochester. The job market used to be better down there but not anymore, not for now atleast. Understandably there are a lot of people who don't like our winter weather in Rochester and winter is definitely much milder in the south; but that also comes with a much more brutal summer. Not saying that most people who move down there do or will return; but it definitly isn't unheard of for some people to come back. Myself and Cheese are living proof of that.

Now I'm awaitng a certain "small dog" troll to leave a really long post on this forum telling me how wrong I am and how everyone and their mother is leaving.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 22 days ago)

30,329 posts, read 35,071,992 times
Well, as for places to check out, I would say Charlotte or the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA(Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Potrsmouth, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, etc.).

Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM

258 posts, read 458,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annken View Post
*I searched for similar threads but didn't find anything specific on this topic

Hi to all,

I'm planning to move for economic reasons. I was wondering if anyone is planning to move from the Rochester area? If so, why? List three reasons. Where would you like to move to?

Thanks for your input.
We moved from Rochester to the Charlotte metro area in August 2007. Our main reasons were that we had retired, had no family left in Rochester, had a son in Charlotte who was expecting his first child and we really did not want to deal with the winters anymore.

We ended up renting for one year and building a home in York County, SC which is just south of the Charlotte, NC border. It is really considered the southern suburbs of Charlotte.

We picked SC over NC because the income taxes, property taxes and gasoline prices are all lower in SC than NC. Car insurance is slightly higher, though! Food, by the way, costs more here than in NY. I do not know why.

Our property taxes in SC are less than 1/2 of Rochester's taxes for twice the size house!

We experienced a very warm month when we got here, but the mild winter was extraordinary!! The trees and flowers were coming out by March 1st!

This past summer was not as warm and so far, the fall/winter is cooler than last year. But, we are still really pleased with the weather. I think it was in the low 60's today!

Most people we meet are transplants from other states... NY, Connecticut, Michigan, California, Texas, Washington, etc. Everyone is very friendly.

The economy has slowed down but was booming until this summer. Depending on your line of work, this may or may not be a good area to consider.

I know that others have moved to this area and moved back. Every one has their own reasons for where they want to live. We are hopeful we have made the right choice for us. So far, so good!!

There are forums on here for Charlotte and York county, SC. Check them out.

I hope this helped! Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:36 PM

150 posts, read 267,955 times
Hi,

Thanks to all for taking the time for your input so far. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,872,485 times
Not to fly in the face of most of my posts, but hubbie and I have wanted to move to Roanoke Va. for 16 years (absolutely fell in love with the area when family lived there) but decided to wait until our then baby graduated wfrom hs which is 2011....so the reaosns why:

1) the weather: we are outdoor people and the cold and snow that covers the area (especially this winter) is just not our cup of tea anymore (and hubbie is a ski baby )

2) the lack of sun: months of cloudiness is tiring and draining and the older I get, the more I miss the sun shining throughout the house for long stretches at a time (built my house with windows galore so I could enjoy sun shining in every room)

3) the cost of living: NYS is expensive and the lastest state proposed budget seems to have taken the cap off of it so things should get even scarier around here IMO.....we just hope we haven't waited too long

House paid for and being groomed for selling in 2 years...after that, we will consider the direction we take....

Again, raising a family and the schooling were the reasons we stayed this long and the expense of living here and lack of outdoor activities when snow/cold isn't your thing from Nov to March gets harder to take each year...I realize why snowbirds exist and wish we had the option of coming and going as upstate does have gorgeous summers

Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 AM

9 posts, read 24,786 times
I moved from Rochester (my home town) 3 years ago. The reasons (simple): high crime, high taxes, real nasty winters. Hope I never go back!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:21 AM

57 posts, read 120,340 times
High crime? Unless you live in a bad neighborhood in the city, what's the difference? 90% of Rochester and the surrounding regions are very safe.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 24,712 times
We moved from Rochester (Brighton) five and a half years ago to San Antonio, TX.

Have never regretted it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area