U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM

56,060 posts, read 80,134,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Using that logic, then pretty much you don't have anything unique about any US city.
I was thinking the same thing. Most US cities are similar, but with a variation in terms of volume. I think geography and proximity means something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:44 PM

726 posts, read 1,862,358 times
most US cities are not similar. Sometimes ones have similar features, in the same geographic area or its residents have similar attitudes. Meaning Buffalo, Rochester,Syracuse all similar. Seattle, Portland are similar. But Rochester would not be considered similar to Austin or Savannah. What draws people or keeps people in an area is what I'm talking about. The specifics. The MOMA is a draw, great shopping, unique nightlife, amazing climate, friendly people, plentiful jobs, natural beauty, unique architecture, culture these are the things I'm talking about. The area just doesn't excel at any of these things. Sure it has some in small degrees but nothing on the scale of many other cities.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:50 PM

56,060 posts, read 80,134,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
most US cities are not similar. Sometimes ones have similar features, in the same geographic area or its residents have similar attitudes. Meaning Buffalo, Rochester,Syracuse all similar. Seattle, Portland are similar. But Rochester would not be considered similar to Austin or Savannah. What draws people or keeps people in an area is what I'm talking about. The specifics. The MOMA is a draw, great shopping, unique nightlife, amazing climate, friendly people, plentiful jobs, natural beauty, unique architecture, culture these are the things I'm talking about. The area just doesn't excel at any of these things. Sure it has some in small degrees but nothing on the scale of many other cities.
but you can't compare all cities when they aren't of the same size and of course those cities have those thing snow. I think the point is that Rochester and other cities similar to it have things as well. Every place shouldn't have a MOMA and what one might have another might not. Same goes for Rochester.

You also have to think about the history, location, size and other factors as well.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,598,228 times
Quote:
as far as jobs, other cities will beat out the area. As far as nightlife, people, beauty, architecture, culture, Rochester holds its own when comparing it to similar sized metros..... Of course a bigger place will have more for obvious reasons.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,856,388 times
Quote:
Name one area that excells at "all of those things". Well for one thing, the fact that no city anywhere right now has "plentiful jobs" automatically means you can't; so I'll let that one slide. There is no "perfect city" and no city that would suit everyone. But believe me, despite what you may want to believe; there are people who like living in Rochester and find it suits them just fine and can appreciate the things that do make the area unique. Jut as there are for any city.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 PM

726 posts, read 1,862,358 times
Once again let me break this down for you all:

I didn't say a city had to have all those things maybe one or two special things. A city in Florida let's call it "NOWHEREVILLE" so you all don't start pointing out flaws. If you asked them what they liked they might say I love the weather, I love the beach. If you ask someone in Austin they might say I love the weather, the job opportunities, the music scene, if you ask someone in Portland they might say the outdoor offerings, nightlife, great people, ocean. Rochester doesn't offer anything special that people couldn't find in these other places that offset the negatives.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,598,228 times
well for one many people like the food in the area. Lots of visitors to the area will rave about the amount of outstanding mom and pop type food places compared to other areas of the country.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:

I didn't say a city had to have all those things maybe one or two special things. A city in Florida let's call it "NOWHEREVILLE" so you all don't start pointing out flaws. If you asked them what they liked they might say I love the weather, I love the beach. If you ask someone in Austin they might say I love the weather, the job opportunities, the music scene, if you ask someone in Portland they might say the outdoor offerings, nightlife, great people, ocean. Rochester doesn't offer anything special that people couldn't find in these other places that offset the negatives.
Depends on the type of person. A suburban-type family would probably not be happy with most of the school districts in Florida; and many people would be unhappy with how hot it gets in both Texas and Florida, Your close-mindedness is truly being highlighted in your posts. I (and i believe most other posters on this forum) can understand why some people don't like Rochester and would be much happier someplace else. And don't view them as any "less" than myself or anyone else who is happy living here. BUT you seem to be incapable of accepting the fact that there are people who like things about living in Rochester and are happier here than they would be in other places. I lived in the south for almost 13 years and liked it just fine, but brought my family back up here in 2007 and it feels great to be back home. Does this make us less cultured? Less intelligent? Because judging by the tone of your posts that's what it seems like you insinuate. Different strokes for different folks...it's that simple.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM

200 posts, read 528,784 times
Quote:

Wegmans and Garbage Plates ain't in any of those places (and they're both very special.)
Seriously, though, it's not one or two specific things about Rochester that make it where I choose to live, but a combination of factors. For one, the size. The city, to me, is sized perfectly. I grew up in a much larger metro, and at first hated this city, but after I found things to do and where to go I did fine. It was small enough to know everyone if you wanted to, but large enough that you could stay anonymous if you chose. Being 22, however, I left after two years here to seek greener pastures.
Two, as lame as it sounds, commuting here is awesome. Moved to "nowhereville", FL, and hated it. You couldn't get anywhere, at anytime. It took me an hour and a half to get to work 20 miles away. Tourists everywhere, people at a dead stop in the middle of the street with a map open, everyday. No soul, either, as no one I worked with or hung out with was from there, and most of the locals I did meet referred to us as yankees or transplants, so I guess so much for southern hospitality. The nice weather was not enough to offset those "negatives."
Three, the cost of living in a good, safe neighborhood. After the whole Florida debacle, I thought "go west, young man" and moved to NoCal with my then girlfriend (now my lovely and patient wife), but we couldn't afford to live in a good neighborhood, and we were both young professionals. Two decent incomes coming in, you'd think we'd be able to live somewhere fairly nice, right? After 8 months of sirens, shootings and robberies, when our favorite guy who worked at the 7-11 across the street was shot, we figured we'd had enough. Enough that we broke our lease and moved back. I guess you could say the nice weather and the abundance of activities (we're not drunks, but we lived very near the Napa Valley - Finger Lakes are great, but man....) were not enough to offset the negatives. She was from P'burgh, and we couldn't find jobs there. So, on a whim, I said "how about Rochester?" looked, and sure enough, she was able to transfer and I was able to find a job when we got here. We'll be here 10 years in April. Now, after all of that, I get to my point. You often hear sportscasters speaking of a players "intangibles" - stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Rochester, for me, has intangibles - things that don't jump out at you as "special", but when you think about it, make it a pretty good place to live. Maybe I'm lame, and you can call me a cheerleader if you want. If liking where you live and wanting to tell people about it makes you a cheerleader, then "Rah rah" (awkward jump kick thingy) "Rochester!" (fat guy slowly sliding into a split)

Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM

uh...talk about lying. You completely made up those numbers...pathetic indeed. The population of Henrietta is over 45,000 first of all; and here is the beakdown of ethnicities for the town via right here on city-data.com

[LEFT]Races in Henrietta:[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
  • White Non-Hispanic (82.6%)
  • Black (6.9%)
  • Hispanic (3.0%)
  • Two or more races (2.0%)
  • Asian Indian (1.8%)
  • Chinese (1.5%)
  • Other race (1.0%)
  • Other Asian (0.9%)
  • American Indian (0.9%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Henrie...#ixzz0bsQ99Dgq
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area