U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,895,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
another negative poster making crap up and blowing things out of proportion.
3 months of nice weather is an extreme exaggeration. Its usually warm from may to september. Not to mention the lovely fall. We get it, you don't like winter. Your comment about the city is straight up stupid. The killings and drugs are located in a handful of specific neighborhoods, like with any city. And if you want to talk about drugs, the suburbs usually have more drug use than the city does. The bad attitude comment is completely unfounded. There is no shortage of nice persons in the city. Maybe you bring on bad attitudes because of your crappy attitude.
The comment about the area being boring is also pretty stupid. Outside of the summer there are still festivals, concerts, restaurants, plays, performances, art galleries, sports, etc
Garmin:

Keep up the good "fight" ....

And when put in the context of the world at hand and all the troulble and heartache so many suffer around the globe just trying to exist, harping about a city because it's boring or gloomy or cold seems so insignificant and only exaggerates how truly spoiled we all in this US of A ....

Just think of we all took some our leisurely time spent comparing sunshine hours to entertainment options and put it to bettering what IS bad in the world.......hmmmmm....

The man with no shoes bellowed loudly until he met the man with no feet.....

Apparently I channeled some Buddism in my sleep last night....

Back to ka-bitching....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,995,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Everyone, garmin is hopeless. No matter what statistics you present or observations you share, Rochester is still a very good place to live with little wrong with it compared to other cities. While Rochester may have some promise hidden deep beneath the layers of filth and grime, it will never reach a pinnacle thanks to the many minority ghetto scum inhabiting its streets. Go take a stroll downtown around lunch time some day and you'll see what I'm talking about. You want to see a blatant lack of respect for people and their surroundings? Check Main St out. Cops at every corner because that's the only way to keep the peace when you have a bunch of hapless wannabe thugs hanging out waiting for the buss who have no sense of self control.
Are you people capable of making an argument without putting words into my mouth? What statistics have been presented to me? I never stated that the are didn't have problems. I am saying that the crime issues are blown way out of proportion by people who obviously do not spend much time in the city. I am in the city every single day. There are not cops on every corner of main street. You have cops stationed in areas where there are large amounts of people, just like in any city of the United States. You really need to get out and travel to other cities.
Your racist unfounded rhetoric is growing old.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 AM

625 posts, read 739,305 times
Racist and unfounded? Ha! Hardly. Factual? Completely. I'm getting sick of the racist card being thrown about all the time by the ignorant folks like you that are afraid to admit what the biggest problem in Rochester is.

I too am in the city every single day, M-F. When I go on a lunch time walk, I usually make Main St part of my route, starting at State and going up to East. I see cops on every corner and near every bus stop, with the exception of a smaller side street.

Maybe I do need to travel more. I've only been to Boston, Miami, and Denver as my large city visits. And I didn't see the saturated police presence on street corners like I do here.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,995,638 times
yes racist and unfounded. The persons committing crime make up a very small percentage of said minorities. Making a blanket statement about a whole group based on the actions of a few is racist(in your case).
That would be like saying white people are nothing but child molesters since the largest group of molesters are whites.
I too travel along main street when I'm not working from home and there is not police on every street corner. The city does not have the funding to put police on every corner. If you have not seen a large police presence in places like Boston, you must have not spent much time there. I have spent extensive time working in Boston, using the red line. My main stops would be downtown crossing and park street and those areas have a very large police presence. If you go to places like NYC, they have a large police presence at the major transportation hub(you are even subject to random searches). Buffalo, Toronto, DC, Baltimore, Philly all have large amounts of police in the downtown areas. You really need to get out more.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:10 PM

60 posts, read 7,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Are you people capable of making an argument without putting words into my mouth? What statistics have been presented to me? I never stated that the are didn't have problems. I am saying that the crime issues are blown way out of proportion by people who obviously do not spend much time in the city. I am in the city every single day. There are not cops on every corner of main street. You have cops stationed in areas where there are large amounts of people, just like in any city of the United States. You really need to get out and travel to other cities.
Your racist unfounded rhetoric is growing old.

If anything, people in Rochester and the leaders there need to travel a little and see how much better other cities are of similar size and maybe learn a little so they can improve Rochester.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 PM

30,834 posts, read 35,900,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post
If anything, people in Rochester and the leaders there need to travel a little and see how much better other cities are of similar size and maybe learn a little so they can improve Rochester.
What cities would you suggest?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 PM

531 posts, read 599,578 times
I love the Roc as much as anybody, but some of you need to open your eyes!! I'd say 85% of the city LOOKS dangerous, run-down, and blighted; I am not saying that all parts of the city are dangerous--because they're not, but they sure as hell LOOK like it. There's no more than 2-5 aesthetically pleasing neighborhoods in the entire city! And like I said in a previous thread, although our city's crime is isolated into certain pockets--or the 'crescent' as they call it--these areas are literally some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the COUNTRY. It may sound ridiculous, but it's true--I've been all over the nation and I've only seen a few cities with neighborhoods that compare to our worst areas(detroit, flint, camden, new orleans, east st. lous, etc.)

Rochester is an incredible city with a lot to offer. But denying the obvious and irrefutable negative aspects of it just makes us look stupid.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What cities would you suggest?
How about Louisville, Pittsburgh, Madison and Minneapolis for starters?

Louisville annexed the county to add tax base to the inner city and the result is a thriving city. Given the fact that Rochester has a very small tax base (middle and upper class have fled the city) maybe that is the answer.

Madison has capitalized on the presence of U of Wisconsin and made itself a desirable city to live in.

Pittsburgh was literally the "pits" for awhile after the downfall of the steel industry and has revived itself.

Perhaps the leaders of Rochester should meet with these other city leaders for ideas.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
I love the Roc as much as anybody, but some of you need to open your eyes!! I'd say 85% of the city LOOKS dangerous, run-down, and blighted; I am not saying that all parts of the city are dangerous--because they're not, but they sure as hell LOOK like it. There's no more than 2-5 aesthetically pleasing neighborhoods in the entire city! And like I said in a previous thread, although our city's crime is isolated into certain pockets--or the 'crescent' as they call it--these areas are literally some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the COUNTRY. It may sound ridiculous, but it's true--I've been all over the nation and I've only seen a few cities with neighborhoods that compare to our worst areas(detroit, flint, camden, new orleans, east st. lous, etc.)

Rochester is an incredible city with a lot to offer. But denying the obvious and irrefutable negative aspects of it just makes us look stupid.
Yes, that was what I was saying. Particularly St Paul all the way over to almost Culver North of the Inner Loop, Mt Read over to Lake (from Ridgeway South to 490) and the Southwest side from downtown all the way to Thurston.

Heck, eeven the Southeast was starting to see the same thing along Alexander, Miegs and Union...

Look, I would love to see the city get back to its heyday (like when I was a kid growing up there in the 1970's) but many things need to improve. Too many suburbanites seem to want nothing to do with the city. They need to get involved as well

Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 AM

531 posts, read 599,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post
Yes, that was what I was saying. Particularly St Paul all the way over to almost Culver North of the Inner Loop, Mt Read over to Lake (from Ridgeway South to 490) and the Southwest side from downtown all the way to Thurston.

Heck, eeven the Southeast was starting to see the same thing along Alexander, Miegs and Union...

Look, I would love to see the city get back to its heyday (like when I was a kid growing up there in the 1970's) but many things need to improve. Too many suburbanites seem to want nothing to do with the city. They need to get involved as well

Exactly! It's nice to see I'm not the only one who can have pride in my city without being completely delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area