U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 AM

37 posts, read 118,629 times

Advertisements

The City isn't Gloomy and boring...but some of the residents are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,319,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Seiously.... no offense RottenChester... I know you don't enjoy living here. You have made it clear. But BORING is not Rochester. BORING is a small town in OKLAHOMA made up of 3500 people surrounded by nothing but dust and cotton fields. Where it takes 45 minutes or more to get to a decent grocery store (equal to what we see as let say a low end MARTINS). BORING is where the ONLY thing to do on a FRIDAY night is to go to a townie Footballball game even if you don't like the sport because the whole town shuts down at 4pm so they can go. BORING is having to invent car rides just to get OUT of the podunk town to shop, site see, dine, bowl, see a movie at least an hour away..... So, no Rochester is NOT boring. I know you enjoy coming onto the Rochester thread and putting it down and that is your right as a poster. But I don't think you have honestly experienced the rest of the country like some of the posters on here have.... Like I have..... Rochester is most definitely NOT boring.....there are so many things to do within walking distance that so many people in this country do not have available to them.... that so many people in Rochester take for granted.... It is a shame.
Funny you mention OK, my father in law grew up around Oaklahoma City and now lives in Rochester. I think I'll not mention this to him lol.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,778,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Funny you mention OK, my father in law grew up around Oaklahoma City and now lives in Rochester. I think I'll not mention this to him lol.
OKC is a bit (total sarcasm- we really only had 3500 people) more populated than the town I lived in....LOL.... I would drive a little over 2 hours to go shopping at a mall in OKC...... that is how dead the town was I lived in..... we would have to grocery shop in Texas..... we had grocery stores like ALDIs unless you wanted to go to TEXAS about 45 min away.... really Rochester is grand and exciting... Palmyra is grand and exciting!!!!!! Because there is an actual town TOUCHING the border.... LOL really I don't think people in Rochester realize what they have.... they should think about stepping outside of their borders and comfort zones and then come back and think about complaining.....

BTW Today is a nice sun shiny day

Yesterday was a nice sun shiny day

Sunday was a nice sun shiny day

Saturday was a nice sun shiny day

Friday.... well I can't think back that far but I am pretty sure it was a nice sun shiny day as well

Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,874,976 times
Quote:
Seiously.... no offense RottenChester... I know you don't enjoy living here. You have made it clear. But BORING is not Rochester. BORING is a small town in OKLAHOMA made up of 3500 people surrounded by nothing but dust and cotton fields. Where it takes 45 minutes or more to get to a decent grocery store (equal to what we see as let say a low end MARTINS). BORING is where the ONLY thing to do on a FRIDAY night is to go to a townie Footballball game even if you don't like the sport because the whole town shuts down at 4pm so they can go. BORING is having to invent car rides just to get OUT of the podunk town to shop, site see, dine, bowl, see a movie at least an hour away..... So, no Rochester is NOT boring. I know you enjoy coming onto the Rochester thread and putting it down and that is your right as a poster. But I don't think you have honestly experienced the rest of the country like some of the posters on here have.... Like I have..... Rochester is most definitely NOT boring.....there are so many things to do within walking distance that so many people in this country do not have available to them.... that so many people in Rochester take for granted.... It is a shame.
It's telling me that I can't give you any more rep points....but REALLY wish I could!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,201,352 times
Quote:
totally agree with the previous posters. But the city is what you make of it. IF you sit on your duff and come in with the IDEA that it is going to be boring you will make it be boring without giving it a chance. BUT if you come in with an open mind and ask the locals where to go and what to do.... you will find the MAG has a great selection of Art on display, Park Ave is quite a hip place to hang out on a warm spring day, Monroe Ave have some really cool stores, Alexander has hot spots you will want to hang out at on a Friday night if you are be it you are 21 or 35, Pittsford has cute shops and great dining along the canal, the fesitvals in the summer are more than enough to fill your agenda and keep you occupied..... the list goes on and on and I still haven't gotten to the wine tasting and skiing.... or the camping and hiking..... but I could be here all night with this list......
And after you finish skbs' list, just drive a short way and see Niagara Falls, Niagara-On-The-Lake and/or Toronto. This is a great place to live!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 PM

355 posts, read 760,329 times
Quote:
OKC is a bit (total sarcasm- we really only had 3500 people) more populated than the town I lived in....LOL.... I would drive a little over 2 hours to go shopping at a mall in OKC...... that is how dead the town was I lived in..... we would have to grocery shop in Texas..... we had grocery stores like ALDIs unless you wanted to go to TEXAS about 45 min away.... really Rochester is grand and exciting... Palmyra is grand and exciting!!!!!! Because there is an actual town TOUCHING the border.... LOL really I don't think people in Rochester realize what they have.... they should think about stepping outside of their borders and comfort zones and then come back and think about complaining.....

BTW Today is a nice sun shiny day

Yesterday was a nice sun shiny day

Sunday was a nice sun shiny day

Saturday was a nice sun shiny day

Friday.... well I can't think back that far but I am pretty sure it was a nice sun shiny day as well
Let me finish up your posting correctly:

BTW Today was a nice sun shiny and freezing cold day

Yesterday was a nice sun shiny and freezing cold day

Sunday was a nice sun shiny and freezing cold day

Saturday was a nice sun shiny and freezing cold day

Friday.... well I can't think back that far but I am pretty sure it was a nice sun shiny and freezing cold day as well

Rochester is boring. Sure it's more exciting than some blip on the radar town in Oklahoma, but really for a town of its size it ain't nothing special. Is comparing a metropolitan area of a million people the same as comparing a town with 3,500. I think not. What constitutes excitement in Rochester? Labatt Blue and Sabres hockey. I don't mind those things of course but please enlighten me as to why you all think Rochester is so exceptional. Enjoy the commute tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,778,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post

Friday.... well I can't think back that far but I am pretty sure it was a nice sun shiny and freezing cold day as well

Rochester is boring. Sure it's more exciting than some blip on the radar town in Oklahoma, but really for a town of its size it ain't nothing special. Is comparing a metropolitan area of a million people the same as comparing a town with 3,500. I think not. What constitutes excitement in Rochester? Labatt Blue and Sabres hockey. I don't mind those things of course but please enlighten me as to why you all think Rochester is so exceptional. Enjoy the commute tomorrow.
I haven't had a single problem with the commute.... I will tell you... DALLAS Texas! now there is a place where TRAFFIC is a problem! Holy bumper to bumper commute! I really don't think there is a problem with Rochester Traffic at all.... we have a very smooth transportation system And when the snow does come... those plows really are on top of things! OH, or the BAY AREA in San Fran...talk about bumper cars! I have never been so afraid to drive in my life! Oh I take that back....Orlando Florida....so glad I was driving a rental there....they are insane drivers....either that or just old..... Not afraid of commuting in this traffic.... nope.... great driving here in Rochester.... thumbs up .... really nothing to complain about But ya know what..... There really are a ton of things to do here..... but you only look at it as a sublet of Buffalo with blinders on.... There is more to Rochester than JUST Park/East/Monroe shops and bars....Beer and Hockey...And I am sorry but Canadian Beer doesn't make me think of Rochester- it makes me think of Canada.
http://www.rohrbachs.com/images/banners/rohrbachs_home.jpg (broken link)
This makes me think of Rochester.....or This....

If you want to talk BEER....

Not some cheesy Canadian brand.....

I think my fellow posters and I are doing a fine job with listing great places to visit and site see.... reasons Rochester is worthy of visiting..... but perhaps you just don't feel like reading.... that is your choice and you are welcome to make it....

There are MANY suburbs with amazing attractions that we haven't even touched on.... that are PART OF ROCHESTER and add to its amazing charm.... like Brockport...Fairport.... Pittsford....these charming towns.... that have so much to offer...but you probably will just put your nose up at them and I will just be wasting my time typing.... so what is the point? Right?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM

11 posts, read 35,279 times
Quote:

I have to concur with your assessment. I moved here about 6 months ago from a small town in Maine. Frankly Rochester is a blast compared to where I came from. My wife and I have found all kinds of things to do on weekends even in the "gloomy" winter. From sports to cultural activities, to shopping there's plenty to do in Rochester. Granted it's not New York City, but it's certainly not small town America either!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,319,845 times
There really are only a few days a month in the winter when the roads are so bad you have to drive 30mph. There may be side roads in the burbs that are bad, but not the city.

Some of the city side streets are not plowed that well, but you have to drive slow anyway because of kids and pedestrians.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,874,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post

Rochester is no NYC, Boston, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco etc...but for a city and metro its size; Rochester offers plenty. You have to compare apples to apples. Compare Rochester to many cities its size like Akron or Toledo, OH; Grand Rapids, MI; Tulsa, OK; Richmond, VA; etc...and you'll probably find we have more culture here than most other cities and metros our size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area