Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,850,967 times

Advertisements

I am watching the snowfall quite heavily where I am.... it is cold today... and I am thinking I might stay in..... BUT When I look out my window right now I do not feel GLOOMY or DEPRESSED... and it is my CHOICE that I am staying in today.... just one of those days where I feel like "hanging out" and I WANT TO..... But the view of the falling snow out my picture window is enough to make me realize- there isn't anything GLOOMY today- but there is real natural BEAUTY today.....

But come snow or rain.... this weekend I am going out on the town with my Husband.... to dinner and maybe a coffee shop downtown.... and Tomorrow I am heading out with a girlfriend of mine to spend the afternoon at little shops on Park Ave and lunch.... Saturday morning we will go to the Farmer's Market.....Friday night we are probably taking the kids to a movie.... Sunday, well.... yet to be determined but it will be spent out and about.....and probably some outside activity with the kids- sledding or snowmen....Saturday there is a free telescope viewing at the Planetarium- sounds interesting for the kids.... There is always the Strong Museum... and even the zoo- people don't often think about it in winter but it is a lot of fun to see the animals in the snow.....So, no I won't be bored..... I have too much to do this week.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,643 times
I have lived here a long time due to family... It is absolutely horrible. Wegman's does not a good city make. The taxes are OUTRAGEOUS, the weather is horrible, the city is a cesspool of crime which is worse than NYC proportionate to its size. If you like 5-6 months minimum of no sunshine, freezing temperatures, and high taxes this is the place to be! there are a few nice suburbs and pretty areas, but honestly it's gotten terrible here with crime, taxes, etc. Millions of dollars wasted on a non-existent Genesee Hospital, and a Ferry!! How about doing something about the taxes and the crime here?? the number of murders is insane! i know every city has their problems, but this is ridiculous!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,698,066 times
Uhhh the crime rate has gone down.
Every year since 2005 the number of murders has dropped.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM

726 posts, read 2,144,156 times
NYCTOROCHESTER: I am one of those people you mentioned in your post who never seem to have anything positive to say about Rochester or WNY. So to prove you wrong I asked myself if people asked me what I liked about living in WNY what would I say? Sadly I had a hard time coming up with anything that is significant (can't really say a Buffalo Ted's hotdog). I finally came up with some things but most had to do with the area's proximity to other things.
1) distance to Canada
2) Adirondacks
3) Catskills
4) NYC

What could change my opinion?
1) lower taxes across the board to get on par with other states
2) an emphasis on parks and recreation, Buffalo and Rochester need to tear down a lot of crappy buildings, plant a lot of trees, have waterfronts that can be safely used
3) once the above 2 are complete build industrial cores (through tax incentives, development grants) that are away from all areas of recreational/entertainment interest.
4) get rid of tolls
5) beautify streets, highways, downtowns, plazas. A great turn of the century building should be rejuvenated and maintained not allowed to crumble.

there's more but I'm sure you all have enough to rip apart for now.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM

92,742 posts, read 123,032,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
NYCTOROCHESTER: I am one of those people you mentioned in your post who never seem to have anything positive to say about Rochester or WNY. So to prove you wrong I asked myself if people asked me what I liked about living in WNY what would I say? Sadly I had a hard time coming up with anything that is significant (can't really say a Buffalo Ted's hotdog). I finally came up with some things but most had to do with the area's proximity to other things.
1) distance to Canada
2) Adirondacks
3) Catskills
4) NYC

What could change my opinion?
1) lower taxes across the board to get on par with other states
2) an emphasis on parks and recreation, Buffalo and Rochester need to tear down a lot of crappy buildings, plant a lot of trees, have waterfronts that can be safely used
3) once the above 2 are complete build industrial cores (through tax incentives, development grants) that are away from all areas of recreational/entertainment interest.
4) get rid of tolls
5) beautify streets, highways, downtowns, plazas. A great turn of the century building should be rejuvenated and maintained not allowed to crumble.

there's more but I'm sure you all have enough to rip apart for now.
I guess this is nothing: VisitRochester
VisitRochester
amerks.com: Home
rochester ny museums - Google Maps
rochester ny nightlife - Google Maps
Events - Rochester City Newspaper

Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM

You miss my point, it's nothing unique or special. I mean if someone from Florida said what did you like about Rochester I'm not going to say "It has the Susan B Anthony museum". Every city has museums that everyone goes to once or twice only (except maybe NYC, DC) has some nightlife, some good food. Buffalo does have the Sabres and Bills (for now).

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
You miss my point, it's nothing unique or special. I mean if someone from Florida said what did you like about Rochester I'm not going to say "It has the Susan B Anthony museum". Every city has museums that everyone goes to once or twice only (except maybe NYC, DC) has some nightlife, some good food. Buffalo does have the Sabres and Bills (for now).
Using that logic, then pretty much you don't have anything unique about any US city.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 PM

That's kind of sad if you think that.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:54 PM

I don't think that. I'm just trying to work with your logic. A place like the Susan B Anthony musuem is unique to the area, but apparently it's not good enough since other cities have museums.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM

92,742 posts, read 123,032,038 times
Quote:
OK....Where did anyone say anything about being "unique" or "special"? Again, if you only go to places once or twice, that doesn't mean that others don't frequent them more than that or that outsiders wouldn't go to those places.

Also, I believe there were more than just museums mentioned in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area