U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 AM

21 posts, read 61,811 times

Advertisements

Not long after moving here last year i went to the gay pride parade in the park ave area
and was surprised at the turn out apparently its second in ny only to new york city
even the chief of police and some churches were in the parade.

If you like to be close to the city the southeast area is were I live and so far its very nice
the cityofrochester.org website has lots of information, maps, housing studies I checked out before buying last year and I refer people to them in my business(realestate) now.

If your going to pay close to a thousand in rent its worth exploring buying.
For renting check rentrochester.com or newdigs.com(might not be up yet)
even craigslist.com

all the best
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM

7 posts, read 45,627 times
thank you, captain dusty.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM

169 posts, read 440,138 times
you may wish to consider the southwedge area (14620 zip code, especially streets between Mount Hope and South Clinton). Very trendy, hip, cool, accepting area that is cheaper than Park Ave area.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmember View Post
Hello everyone,
I heard a lot of different opinions about the Rochester.
Can anyone tell me if it is a gay friendly city? I would appreciate any information. Thank you.
[mod]inappropriate [/mod]

Just kidding... its seems friendly, we voted Obama in strong numbers.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-20-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 PM

71 posts, read 96,491 times
I think Rochester is generally a very liberal city, similar to NYC. I also think it depends on who you're talking to though. There are some people here that are homophobic, sure, but generally we have a typical liberal NY mentality.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,818,379 times
don't think Rochester is in any way similar to NYC, and I mean that in a very nice way.

NYC liberalism can be over the top and negative, plus a little "limousine liberal"-esque, whereas Rochester people tend to know what they're talking about.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,077 times
My husband and i are looking for a place to move to where we can start over in an area that is accepting and safe. We are currently living in Panama City Beach Florida and desparetly need to move somewhere that is not filled with hate, judgemental rednecks,and literally NO gay community. We have been togather for 18 years, are in our 40's and want to live where being gay isn't an issue. Is Rochester somewhere we may consider. Anyone have any info on where a good place to live is? It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help. We have been looking for a place for a year or so now.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 AM

65,580 posts, read 91,393,248 times
This should help: LGBT Community - Rochester Wiki

Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 PM

55 posts, read 116,862 times
As a gay man, I'd recommend anywhere in the Rochester area to you. If you want to live in the city, any of the southeast neighborhoods would be good. Plus Corn Hill, which has a great neighborhood association and lots of gay households.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:05 PM

36,764 posts, read 12,213,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
I would actually say it is an extremely gay friendly city. I am striaght and I have 4 close gay friends. I have never heard of any hate crimes and no problems in general.
You've never heard of hate crimes here? Huh? It wasn't that long ago that a few gay men were being harassed at a bar, reported it to the police, and were then arrested themselves. And that was in the city. The suburbs are far more conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area