U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 AM

199 posts, read 465,686 times

Advertisements

Now that I have a Hotel for my stay while finding an apartment;
please tell me, what is the overall quality of life like in Rochester?
I value education, museums, libraries, galleries, and parks.
My current locale does not; unfortunately, I was not given
much information on this city before moving here. Ignorance is bliss;
most residents of El Paso, TX are very happy because they know nothing
better. I know Boston, Washington, D.C., and some cities on the
West Coast. Rochester, NY came to mind when I started
to miss snow and cooler temperatures. El Paso is hot.
That said, many of the residents here are quite unhappy, it
shows on their faces. I don't need to live in "Wonderland," just
a place where you are greeted by a smile every on once in a while.
Maybe, I'm too happy for my current venue?
Question: Are Rochester residents generally happy or sad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,629,482 times
I don't think you can generalize about the happiness of residents in any area. People here are no more happy or unhappy than anywhere else.
If you are into parks, museums and galleries, this place is great. There are first Friday events this coming Friday you should check out. Many galleries will have something going on. Its not Boston or DC, but its pretty damn good.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,331,769 times
Give people enough time, they will find something to complain about. I think you will find that anywhere, even the rich complain. I think the quality of life is overall good. There are some variables, job, location in the city and how much you like snow.

There is plenty to do up here for summer or winter activites. There are alot of gallaries and libraries between Syracuse and Buffalo. There are hundreds of parks between the cities, camping, boating. NY has the thousand islands, adirondaks (spelling), Niagara Falls and Finger Lakes.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM

169 posts, read 424,029 times
You have picked one of the best kept secrets in the US. Your access to cultural activities in Rochester is vast (good quality museums, a world class art gallery, numerous historic exhibits and areas, especially from the 19th century, fun street festivals, world class parks (Highland, etc), decent beaches, world class leisure activities at the finger lakes) and you do not have to wait in traffic for hours and hours to get there (as you would in LA, SF, PX, DC, CH, NYC etc). All of this is coupled with a reasonable cost of living - meaning that people generally don't become feral from having to kill and eat every day as they tend to have to do in the cities mentioned above. The only problem I encounter is that many life-long residents have absolutely no idea of how good they have it and buy into the "Rochester is a dying rust belt city" stereotype.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Thanks, great information!

My current city, El Paso, is quite unhappy. Almost no green space, just a
few options for culture, most live in poverty. Very little to do here in
the best of weather.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,902,974 times
Yes.......I think Rochester would be a refreshing change if you live in el paso and don't like it. It is definitely much greener here with more trees and plenty of water (we are on one of the great lakes afteral!) The city offers plenty of the cultural aspects you are looking for. Our winters will probably be a big shock to your system but if you can brave through it we have a beautiful spring, summer, and fall!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM

3,144 posts, read 7,350,715 times
You will find that Rochesterians are real big on festivals too... Theres like one every week in the summer!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,203,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Yes.......I think Rochester would be a refreshing change if you live in el paso and don't like it. It is definitely much greener here with more trees and plenty of water (we are on one of the great lakes afteral!) The city offers plenty of the cultural aspects you are looking for. Our winters will probably be a big shock to your system but if you can brave through it we have a beautiful spring, summer, and fall!

I moved here from Louisiana 20 plus years ago and adjusted fine to the weather. You will too, from Texas. It is nice to have four, distinct seasons.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Default Snow? Ha! I love it...

I'm from the East was miss snow terribly. The year I moved to
San Francisco, there was snow at my office in Berkeley, they went into
panic mode. LOL Here, it doesn't really snow, but we get flurries
about twice a year; of course, the people panic. Honestly, I prefer
a cold climate; easier to warm up, rather that cool down.

Have a splendid evening.....

-s

Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 PM

34 posts, read 93,128 times
I moved here a month or so ago from PA and LOVE it! Great people, very nice and friendly, beautiful area, no traffic, excellent care of the roads when it snows (lacking in PA)! LOVE IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area