U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,017,991 times
Lightbulb Best company to work for in Rochester area

I'm considering leaving my job and only have an associates degree. I wanted to know what company in your opinion is the best to work for considering decent wages,and benefits and might have positions available?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 AM

8 posts, read 28,115 times
Wegmans grocery is always a top employer in the Rochester area.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 AM

5,265 posts, read 10,119,718 times
Wegmans is one of the top 5 companies to work for in the nation and has been in the top 5 for several years now (it was number 1 in 2002 I believe). Obviously most of the employees at wegmans are low-wage cashiers/baggers and such but if you could get a decent paying management or corprate possission (the corprate headquarters is in Rochester afterall) you'd be set! I've heard in the past that paetec is supposed to be a great place to work too but it seems they are having some pretty rough times right now.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 PM

99 posts, read 186,309 times
Job markets are a bit off but if you offer what they need, companies are hiring. Verizon has ads on Monster every week, try them, they are in Henrietta.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,732,941 times
There are many companies headquartered in the Rochester area. Wegmans, Eastman Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, Paychex, Genesse Brewery, Transcat, Paetec, Gleason and Monroe Muffler. Many other large corporations or entities have a large presence in the area, ITT, Delphi, Xerox, RIT, M&T, HSBC, Harris Communications, Johnson & Johnson, Alstom just to name a few.

It helps to know what kind of associates degree you have, and how much experience you have in your current field. Most of the corporations above are very different at what they make or do. You could try a headhunter, my wife got her job through one. It also helps if you know someone who works at a place you are applying for.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM

201 posts, read 316,453 times
Each year Wegman's is usually voted the # 1 company to work for, that being because Danny Wegman takes care of his employees and his customers. I've even seen them be # 1 before in national poll results. Over and over again the results win with Rochester as far as one of the best palces to live and as one of the best places to work. If you can get into Wegman's consider yourself to be among the best of the best. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 12,902 times
You can also try conserve in fairport. Its a debt collection agency. You have great oppertunity to expand and make some serious cash.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,806,436 times
all I can say is Wegmans!!! great co to work for my son dose and is moving up fast!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:18 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,707,538 times
Honestly, I have a NYS Cert to teach in TWO areas.... and I WANT to work at Wegmans. If you can get in there you would be secure and set for life. Teachers can't even say that anymore. The thing is you usually have to work from the bottom up unless you have an IN. You might want to keep your current job and get a weekend or night job at your local Wegmans and then work your way in.... Just a suggestion. If you can get into the Mgr Program you will be all set!!!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 27,455 times
Wegman's of course but also the University of Rochester just for the fact they are the largest employer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area