U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times

Advertisements

They had Whole Foods in NC when I lived there.....Wegmans is similar to Whole Foods only with more reasonable prices; and better prepared foods IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:03 PM

922 posts, read 3,491,558 times
We miss Wegmans as well! We're from Buffalo and live in Brooklyn. The nearest Wegmans is a 45-minute drive across Staten Island to Woodbridge, NJ and we make the trip about once a month. Our NYC friends can't believe that we'll travel so far for a grocery store, but they just don't understand!

As for the comparison to Whole Foods: Whole Foods is 100% organic. Of the great things about Wegmans is that it has all of the organic stuff that Whole Foods has, but you can also get a box of Cap'n Crunch if you like

The only place that remotely compares to Wegmans here in NYC is small chain called Fairway. Trader Joe's is great, but can't be compared to Wegmans because they specialize on their own private label specialty foods and semi-prepared frozen and heat-and-eat items.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 AM

79 posts, read 231,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
after reading NYgril's post I am now forced to stop work to run to Wegmans for some late lunch! hahaha
Please think of me while you eat your delicious lunch from Wegmans! Just know that I'm so jealous.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,805 times
Good old Wegmans. I grew in Rochester but have been living in Chicago for 4 years now. I miss Wegmans sooooooo much! Most other grocery stores are no match. I tell everyone here that Wegmans is like a Whole Foods/Dominick's hybrid. lol.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM

810 posts, read 1,229,890 times
Fairness Doctrine Mandatory Counterpoint (required by forthcoming federal law):

I appreciate Weggie's as much as anyone but they refuse to put stores in the city where there are all those unattractive colored people (like where I live). Tops will give us city folk grocery stores and just for that I'll shop at Tops wherever I am.

Besides, Tops' baked goods are better, unless you judge by gold-trimmed muffin cups and fou-fou squirts of frosting, in which case Wegmans wins.

S

Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM

11,042 posts, read 6,195,856 times
NYMD67, maybe Wegman's will come and build near where you live?
I fondly remember Wegman's from living up in/near Rochester. Have a brother who worked for them for awhile and he always seemed to enjoy working there. Family members would occasionally get me a package of the white hots or I'd be invited to a cookout where my Dad used to grill them for us. Now, miles away, in W.Virginia, I'm pleased that I can drive to a Wegman's [Chantilly, VA].

Old 05-31-2009, 04:09 AM

11 posts, read 37,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Fairness Doctrine Mandatory Counterpoint (required by forthcoming federal law):

I appreciate Weggie's as much as anyone but they refuse to put stores in the city where there are all those unattractive colored people (like where I live). Tops will give us city folk grocery stores and just for that I'll shop at Tops wherever I am.

Besides, Tops' baked goods are better, unless you judge by gold-trimmed muffin cups and fou-fou squirts of frosting, in which case Wegmans wins.

S
No offense to you but TOPS quality is poor. That is one reason why they can survive in these neighborhoods. The people are less concerned about quality of food and they get the food (or leftovers) at such cheap prices it makes up for any goods that may be stolen. People steal everywhere but more so in poorer neighborhoods

Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,330,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperityJoy View Post
No offense to you but TOPS quality is poor. That is one reason why they can survive in these neighborhoods. The people are less concerned about quality of food and they get the food (or leftovers) at such cheap prices it makes up for any goods that may be stolen. People steal everywhere but more so in poorer neighborhoods
I liked Tops about fifteen years ago when they started renovating their stores. Since then I really don't see much of a change, they have fallen far behind Wegmans.

The store on Winton rd by the 490 still has the 30 year old style. That store is almost empty most of the time. The Wegmans two blocks over has half the space, half the parking and is so full of people you can barley move. All Tops would have to do is build one of their newer supercenters and that location would have a huge surge in business. People want a good clean store with good product.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 AM

51 posts, read 152,641 times
I guess I'll never get it. Over hyped, over priced, and over crowded. I find them annoying to shop at.

The only one I ever actually liked going to was the old one on East Henrietta, then they closed it down and opened up a mega-wegs around the corner (even closer to the one across from Marketplace). I went twice and then started shopping elsewhere again...

I pop in for their Mango soda (forgive the pun) and their Green Apple soda is interesting in small doses, but I mostly avoid Wegmans as much as possible. And their new plastic bags rip from having just 2 bottles of soda in them, so I can't even reuse them to pick up dog doo.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,055,913 times
there's nothing like Wegmans in San Diego. Ralph's comes close but not really. Just doesn't have the same vibe and the employees aren't as nice as Wegmans. There are certain items that I can only find at Wegmans (when I visit Rochester), I've looked high and low but nowhere to be found in SoCal. Course out here we do have a much bigger variety of salsa to choose from My only complaint about Wegmans is that they hire high school kids who work a limited number of hours a week so they don't have to pay them benefits, etc. so they make ALOT of money that way. But it's good that these kids can get jobs there (at least they used to be able to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area