U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 AM

27 posts, read 51,066 times
Default Question about cedar houses

Hi, everyone,

In my search for Rochester homes, I've found a lot of them have either full or partial cedar siding. I am not familiar with this type of siding as most homes in Los Angeles have stucco. What is the maintenance like for this type of siding? Is cedar very durable? Is cedar a preferred type of siding over vinyl? Also, is the woodpecker population a problem for this type of homes? I've heard woodpeckers love cedar but wasn't sure if that's a problem in Rochester.

Thank you all again. Any info would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM

1,293 posts, read 2,734,060 times
Cedar will require more maintenance than vinal or the older asbestos shingles. But probably no more than wooded siding. Cedar requires a stain or clear coat every couple of years to keep it looking new. It will eventually turn grey, new stain may help some. You can keep the wood peckers away by using windchimes. I have not seen any woodpeckers within the city, but I have out in the country.
Personally I prefer a siding that I don't have to paint or stain, it is very time consuming either way. If you buy a house with cedar it will have a very nice look to it, but will require more work. You could look into a maintenance service as well. Usually I will start my stripping and painting early in April so im not doing it in the summer heat.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Cedar will require more maintenance than vinal or the older asbestos shingles. But probably no more than wooded siding. Cedar requires a stain or clear coat every couple of years to keep it looking new. It will eventually turn grey, new stain may help some. You can keep the wood peckers away by using windchimes. I have not seen any woodpeckers within the city, but I have out in the country.
Personally I prefer a siding that I don't have to paint or stain, it is very time consuming either way. If you buy a house with cedar it will have a very nice look to it, but will require more work. You could look into a maintenance service as well. Usually I will start my stripping and painting early in April so im not doing it in the summer heat.
We have Cedar around our windows and they played it off as a wonderful thing when we purchased our home. Well, we live in a very WINDY area with field behind our house. The wind and sun exposure are a KILLER to the wood. We are talking about having the wood ripped off and having it sided with an alternate method that would require less care. It is something we just didn't realize would age the wood as fast as it does. It is much more work than we want. We have a walkout in the back and are on a very high ladder painting.... we are kicking ourselves now... but if you don't mind the constant maint and are going to build in an area where sun and wind is not an issue... then go for it..... but that is just my own personal experience and opinion..... Good luck on the search it is a FUN process.... I enjoyed it....

Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM

27 posts, read 51,066 times
Thank you very much for the information! I'm glad I asked. Though cedar does look very majestic, it does sound like a lot of work. That might not be good for us because it's hard for me to get my husband even to mow the lawn sometimes let alone stain or paint anything. And, skbs, I didn't even think of the wind factor. I did notice that Rochester suburbs have a lot of open fields--something to think about! And I'm glad to hear woodpeckers may not be an issue in the city. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area