Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:03 PM

599 posts, read 1,649,608 times

Advertisements

Hi Rochester Locals!
Our family of 4 is moving to the area from California. We aren't CA natives. I am from PA and hubby is from Ireland. What are the best areas for education? His company is in Pittsford. Is this a good area? I miss the east coast so much and can't wait to move back.

Thanks,
Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM

5,599 posts, read 4,018,303 times
Hi Jenn, and welcome to Rochester. Pittsford is actually Rochester's most afluent town. It's schools are excellent. There are 2 high schools and are either within the top 100 high schools in the country (I forget the pole(s)) or close. Penfield, Perinton, Mendon, Brighton are all also close by and have excellent schools. I'd stay away from East Rochester, but other than that your good in any suburb. Sotheast Rochester is good too, but the schools leave a lot to be desired.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM

599 posts, read 1,649,608 times
Good To hear JWRocks. Anywhere in Pittsford to live then? Thanks for the welcome!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM

92,624 posts, read 122,930,315 times
Yeah, Pittsford is the area's most affluent community. Brighton is right up there too.

Is East Rochester bad or is it just more blue collar? I know it was a railroad town, but I never got the impression that it was "bad".

Old 07-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, Pittsford is the area's most affluent community. Brighton is right up there too.

Is East Rochester bad or is it just more blue collar? I know it was a railroad town, but I never got the impression that it was "bad".
Didn't mean to imply that East Rochester was "bad." I like ER myself. It's more of a village than a "town." Your description my be pretty close to describing it. Lot's of good food in ER. Pittsford and Perinton are suburban towns with very nice canal front villages.

Jenn, you may also want to check out Victor.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Good To hear JWRocks. Anywhere in Pittsford to live then? Thanks for the welcome!
What are you looking for? Pittsford has a charming village on the Erie Canal with quant shops and resturants and mostly older style single family homes. Just outside of the village are 60's (some are also brand new) homes with mature vegitation, and many private lanes. Some qualify as "mansions." Outside of that are the suburban parts of Pittsford.

Golf is huge in Pittsford. There are 4 country clubs in Pittsford, including Locust Hill that hosts a major LPGA championship every year, and Oak Hill that regularly hosts world class turnaments such as the Masters and the Rider Cup. There are also 2 colleges in town. Nazareth and St. John FIsher. The Buffalo Bills will be holding training camp there in the next 2 weeks.

Here's a link to the local real estae search engine.

http://www.homesteadnet.com/SiteCont...rtySearch.aspx

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,560,830 times
Pittsford is a beautiful town, it's a bit on the pricey side for Rochester, but coming from CA it will probably seem like a HUGE bargain. The schools are excellent and it's a very clean, quaint, family-oriented town. It can be a bit snobby at time as it is actually the most affluent town in the state outside of the NYC metro area; but it is hit or miss in that regard.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,083 times
If Pittsford is too pricey, try Fairport. Pretty similar.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,373,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebop2 View Post
If Pittsford is too pricey, try Fairport. Pretty similar.
Plus Fairport has Fairport Electric, which will keep your utility bills reasonable.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,471 times
Thumbs up Rochester Native

Hi Jenn,

We are looking forward to your comming to Rochester. I have lived in Pittsford 35 years and now live in Perinton (Fairport Schools). I am a mother of 3 and a realtor so I am very involved with school Districts. Pittsford, Fairport (Town of Perinton), Penfield schools are excellent in all aspects and probably the finest districts in the area. Their academics excell along with their sports, arts & music programs. It's a very beautiful - gentle rolling area with the Old Erie canal twinding through it with many, many friendly people. I thnk you would be proud to be part of these communtiies. I suggest to pick out the school districts you wish and find them on their prespective websites. If something is missing that you are specifically looking for, such as special needs, I would be happy to get you on the right tract.

Hope that you will be here by Autum ... It is outstanding here.

Cathy Barton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Hi Rochester Locals!
Our family of 4 is moving to the area from California. We aren't CA natives. I am from PA and hubby is from Ireland. What are the best areas for education? His company is in Pittsford. Is this a good area? I miss the east coast so much and can't wait to move back.

Thanks,
Jenn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area