U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM

226 posts, read 276,315 times

Advertisements

cold and cloudy for most of the year. Don't say it isn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:53 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,613,024 times
well, it isn't

Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,879,118 times
it isn't. Sorry to dissapoint?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,767,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx08 View Post

Compared to sunny and drought-like in the south/southwest? Hmmmm, my priorities lean towards living in an area that allows me bountiful drinking water, daily showers and flushing toilets over constantly sunny and dry conditions. And when it is warm and sunny here, it's heaven with water

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 PM

578 posts, read 2,831,413 times
I can't believe people are trying to spin the weather in Rochester as good. Too funny! And don't try to make it about the Northeast VS everyone else's weather. This is a Rochester weather thread.

I lived in Roch for many years. My wife her entire life. The fact is there is a distinct lack of sunshine in the winter due to constantly overcast skies. Come Feb/March you start wondering when you'll have consecutive days of clear skies and sunshine again. Or when winter will end in general. I'm looking on rnews.com at the 7 day forecast for this week doesn't look so good... unless you like clouds and precipitation.

Late spring through early fall are usually enjoyable weather wise. Summer is usually fan-freaking-tastic with the exception of a dozen scattered days of extreme humidity and heat. However, fantastic weather overall is a small fraction of the year in Rochester. Well, unless you happen to truly enjoy winter. I have one friend that genuinely does. But just one.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,767,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
I can't believe people are trying to spin the weather in Rochester as good. Too funny! And don't try to make it about the Northeast VS everyone else's weather. This is a Rochester weather thread.

I lived in Roch for many years. My wife her entire life. The fact is there is a distinct lack of sunshine in the winter due to constantly overcast skies. Come Feb/March you start wondering when you'll have consecutive days of clear skies and sunshine again. Or when winter will end in general. I'm looking on rnews.com at the 7 day forecast for this week doesn't look so good... unless you like clouds and precipitation.

Late spring through early fall are usually enjoyable weather wise. Summer is usually fan-freaking-tastic with the exception of a dozen scattered days of extreme humidity and heat. However, fantastic weather overall is a small fraction of the year in Rochester. Well, unless you happen to truly enjoy winter. I have one friend that genuinely does. But just one.

What people need to understand is Rochester is a Great Lake city and the clouds hover over the lake bringing gray winter days for weeks on end.....that said, the other 3 seasons are truly lovely and if you can get through the gray days, it's worth it....I personally am getting tired of the long term cold days as I get older but my kids ( who all live in the area) love it !

As for humidity, I absolutely hateeeeeeeee mugginess and buildings/homes with constantly running ac so I guess I should have moved to San Diego as a kid

Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 AM

897 posts, read 2,249,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx08 View Post
54% of the time it is cloudy and 39% of the year is at 32 degrees or lower.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,879,118 times
hahaha....not. 39% of the time the LOW is below freezing, that does not mean that it is below freazing 39% of the year here...that means that it GETS below freezing on 39% of the days, and on many of those days the HIGH temperature is well above 32.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,869,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post

I will take Rochester snow over the cold 51 degree or lower rainy winter days of Raleigh (avg high 47 avg low 29 in January wow really nice huh). North Carolina is not tropical like some people are led to believe it is! And come summer as well as fall Rochester has far far better weather than N Carolina which is humid hell!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM

897 posts, read 2,249,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
hahaha....not. 39% of the time the LOW is below freezing, that does not mean that it is below freazing 39% of the year here...that means that it GETS below freezing on 39% of the days, and on many of those days the HIGH temperature is well above 32.
okay, Then explain this : 2007 (just an example I could have picked any year)
Average month temps(not lows or highs)
jan 30.0
feb 20.3
March 35.3
Nov 38.5
Dec 29.3
average for the 5 month is 30.6. The total year was 49.3
So lets say 75% of those days were 32 or under that would be 113 days that it averaged 32 or less which would be 31% for the year. This is not including other months maybe like april or oct where we may get one or two days where it is 32 degrees.

So again 39% of the year average days are 32 degrees or lower.

NWS Buffalo Climate Information - Rochester Monthly Temperatures (2000s)

Last edited by shibainu; 02-28-2008 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area