U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 AM

2,785 posts, read 9,084,506 times

Advertisements

Every year on our children's birthdays we take them somewhere special for their birthdays.
Well since my soon to be 2 year old can't choose for herself I did some internet searching and came across Strong Museum.
I am from CT and it would be a 6 hour drive for me but she LOVES sesame street and Berenstein bears of which i see they BOTH have exhibits for.

Anyhow, I'm looking to see if you all think a 6 hour drive is worth it for this museum or not???
We dont have anything close to that large here or anything having to do with her favorite characters.

Anyone have reviews of this museum...ALSO we were planning on coming up on a thursday and staying overnight at a hotel and then going to the museum on FRIDAY. Is friday a BUSY day to go? It will be LATE June so school will be out so I'm not sure if we'd be better off going earlier in the month to avoid crowds.

Any opinions are welcome!! Thanks!

Last edited by KH02; 05-06-2009 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM

525 posts, read 1,641,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Every year on our children's birthdays we take them somewhere special for their birthdays.
Well since my soon to be 2 year old can't choose for herself I did some internet searching and came across Strong Museum.
I am from CT and it would be a 6 hour drive for me but she LOVES sesame street and Berenstein bears of which i see they BOTH have exhibits for.

Anyhow, I'm looking to see if you all think a 6 hour drive is worth it for this museum or not???
We dont have anything close to that large here or anything having to do with her favorite characters.

Anyone have reviews of this museum...ALSO we were planning on coming up on a thursday and staying overnight at a hotel and then going to the museum on FRIDAY. Is friday a BUSY day to go? It will be LATE June so school will be out so I'm not sure if we'd be better off going earlier in the month to avoid crowds.

Any opinions are welcome!! Thanks!
I think it would be a worthwhile drive. 2 might be a little young for some of the activities there, but the big hits will probably be Sesame Street exhibit (make sure you bring a blank VCR tape and you can record her on TV with Elmo and others -- kind of like the weather maps on TV but with Sesame Street characters projected on the TV instead of the map). There is also a grocery store where they can put groceries in a cart and then be the cashier and checkout and get a receipt. I'd make reservations for the butterfly exhibit too. The parents will probably love the toy hall of fame upstairs too with all the favorites from when you were kids. A Friday in late June probably won't be bad unless it is rainy. There are some reviews on the Strong Museum (cherry picked of course) at Strong National Museum of Play-Reviews. Here is a Frommer's Review...Strong Museum - Reviews and Ratings of Sights in Rochester - New York Times Travel

Old 05-06-2009, 02:56 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,378,857 times
It's lots of fun for kids and even adults will enjoy the exhibits upstairs. We spent the whole day there and it still wasn't enough. I highly recommend this museum.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,777,240 times
I've been a member since my kids were 2+.... they have been in love ever since.... There favorite thing at that age is the Wegmans shopping experience. It is a great place to take kids....

Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM

17 posts, read 41,282 times
You and your kids will love the museum. I have a one year old and a two and half year old and we go a lot. You can easily spend a few hours there. They also have stuff for all ages. I started bringing my kids before they could walk. Going on a week day is a good idea. Sometimes the weekends can get pretty busy. The place is huge though so if one area gets full or busy you can just check out something else. I have never been able to check the whole place out in one visit.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 AM

907 posts, read 1,782,286 times
All this is true..

The place is awesome.

They also have a train and a carousel to ride, a slanted room, huge aquariums, FOOD, and shopping too..
Which is great for picking up a last minute gift :-)

definitely worth the trip IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area