Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,374 times

Advertisements

Moving to Rochester 1st week of Aug for grad school. Just about to sign a lease on an apt and wondering if I am spending too much. It's got everything I want - 2 bdrm, separate dining room, wood trim on windows, hardwood floors, w/d inside apt., takes my dog, has a porch, gorgeous kitchen, fireplace, pkg space, 1st fl. in a beautiful historic Victorian House, close to shops and restaurants on Park (in the 200 block of Goodman), and includes hot water AND heat (critical since I anticipate being quite cold, coming from CA. et al). Rent is $950 (they tacked on $25 to the original $925 for my dog). Is this ridiculous? I've been combing Craigslist for months and been looking at $600-$700, but that doesn't always include heat. Any comments out there????? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times
The last time we rented we paid somewhere in the lower $700's, we had two dogs, heat included. The apartment was very nice, the kitchen could have used work, but thats it. We shared one side of a garage and had some storage space. Probably 800-1000sq/ft if I had to guess. Park ave is closer to amenities and is still a good section of town. If you want something cheaper, there are still alot of good areas around the city. I would say that is reasonable for the neighborhood, look around, check classifieds too. Most of us can tell you if it is in a good neighborhood or not.

Oh, they are always going to hit you up with the dog fee, for good reason too. Our dogs were not always so nice to the apartment when they got sick. ;-)

And welcome!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,987 times
If it's the apartment you want and you can pay for it, go for it.

That said, you could probably negotiate with them on the rent if you want to risk losing the place. Although I haven't rented in Rochester in a few years, that number seems a little high, especially if it fronts Goodman, which is a pretty busy street. I think most people would rather be off Goodman or off Park, so you should pay a little less if you're going to see cars doing 30 mph or better down your street on a regular basis. However, an updated kitchen is somewhat rare in a city apartment, as is a working fireplace and a dedicated parking space. These things could very well make it worth the money.

A couple of other things: Although it's nice, I'm not sure heat included is "critical," even if you want to be toasty. But, just fyi, if your apartment is good-sized (sounds like it) you're probably saving an average of $40-$70 a month (the heating bills over the winter would break $100 easy and some summer months would be free). I hate pet "fees," and I would be angry about that. A pet deposit is much more fair in my opinion.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiemine View Post
Moving to Rochester 1st week of Aug for grad school. Just about to sign a lease on an apt and wondering if I am spending too much. It's got everything I want - 2 bdrm, separate dining room, wood trim on windows, hardwood floors, w/d inside apt., takes my dog, has a porch, gorgeous kitchen, fireplace, pkg space, 1st fl. in a beautiful historic Victorian House, close to shops and restaurants on Park (in the 200 block of Goodman), and includes hot water AND heat (critical since I anticipate being quite cold, coming from CA. et al). Rent is $950 (they tacked on $25 to the original $925 for my dog). Is this ridiculous? I've been combing Craigslist for months and been looking at $600-$700, but that doesn't always include heat. Any comments out there????? Thanks!
Of the people I know living in the area now, a couple pay 1000 for a 3 bedroom. I know a couple people that rent two bedrooms. One pays around 700 and the apartment is just average. Heat & electric are not included. The people that pay 900 have their heat included and its a very nice, updated apartment which has two parking spaces.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
...especially if it fronts Goodman, which is a pretty busy street. I think most people would rather be off Goodman or off Park, so you should pay a little less if you're going to see cars doing 30 mph or better down your street on a regular basis...
just to revise this, the 200 block of Goodman should be a bit better. I was picturing Goodman near Monroe or the 490, it's busier down there.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I would say that is reasonable for the neighborhood, look around, check classifieds too.
This is good advice, I was also going to suggest walking the neighborhood you like and looking for "For Rent" signs. However, I did both of those before I rented my last three apartments and I ended up going with a craigslist ad every time.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:33 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
This is good advice, I was also going to suggest walking the neighborhood you like and looking for "For Rent" signs. However, I did both of those before I rented my last three apartments and I ended up going with a craigslist ad every time.
There was an apartment for rent on the corner of Culver and the 490 entrance, probably would be noisy, but may be cheaper. The place looks nice from the outside.

We used to use Rent.com, they give diagrams of the apartments, prices, pet policies, sq footage etc.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 PM

169 posts, read 476,199 times
Most nicer two bedroom apartments in the Park Avenue area run about $750-$800 without utilities, and most do not even allow dogs. $950 for the amenities you list seems pretty much the going market rate. You should be able to find a nice two bedroom in the southwedge for about $650-$700 (again, no heat included).

Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,240 times
Heat can be very expensive...especially for first floor (heat rises) and if the windows are drafty. I rented an older house like that and paid out the nose. 1000 sq ft can be really expensive to heat in the winter...even with new windows and insulation standards (think $150/month for non-energy star but efficient). The big downside is that when you are not paying for heat, often you do not have a thermostat to control the temperature, so if that is the case, make sure they are obligated to have it set to at least 65...probably preferably 67 until you get used to the cold and if it is a drafty house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area