U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,648,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
garmin--Check out the Rochester History journal. All issues are avaialble online, all the way back to 1939. Lots of very detailed articles about the early days of the city. Google "Rochester History". Fascinating reading. I especially enjoy the issues from the 40s and 50s where the authors speculate on what the city would be like in the future.
Good deal. The city's historian has written a lot about the place, in fact I think she may have written a few easy to read, short books. Can't find anything online (it's on here, though-might be available through the Rundell Library), but I remember her attention to detail is impeccable, and the interviews she did, as well as what others did going back many decades, are pretty cool.

Here's a Corn Hill link:

RochesterDowntown.com // Neighborhoods // Corn Hill

As I understand it the restorations of some the homes in Corn Hill took 20+ years. It started in the 60's, and the newer housing got rolling in the 80's. This article says the '64 riots resulted in much damage to buildings/houses around Clarissa and the western edge of Corn Hill. I guess this was the straw that broke the camel's back-the city went in and started tearing down structures shortly after the riots.* The stories I've heard jive with this article-the houses were mostly rented out, and there were problems with drugs, squatters, etc.

I think it's interesting how some of the neighborhoods in Rochester which are held in some semblance of esteem, were dumpy, for years. Folks with a whole lot more patience than I have cleaned things up, and there are several 'hoods which are jewels (unfortunately, much of the rest of the city hasn't fared as well/continues to decline).

*The '64 riots didn't start on Corn Hill/Clarissa St., but on the last night of the riots they'd spread to that area, which was known as the old 3rd Ward.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 AM

5,843 posts, read 14,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Good deal. The city's historian has written a lot about the place, in fact I think she may have written a few easy to read, short books. Can't find anything online (it's on here, though-might be available through the Rundell Library), but I remember her attention to detail is impeccable, and the interviews she did, as well as what others did going back many decades, are pretty cool.

Here's a Corn Hill link:

RochesterDowntown.com // Neighborhoods // Corn Hill

As I understand it the restorations of some the homes in Corn Hill took 20+ years. It started in the 60's, and the newer housing got rolling in the 80's. This article says the '64 riots resulted in much damage to buildings/houses around Clarissa and the western edge of Corn Hill. I guess this was the straw that broke the camel's back-the city went in and started tearing down structures shortly after the riots.* The stories I've heard jive with this article-the houses were mostly rented out, and there were problems with drugs, squatters, etc.

I think it's interesting how some of the neighborhoods in Rochester which are held in some semblance of esteem, were dumpy, for years. Folks with a whole lot more patience than I have cleaned things up, and there are several 'hoods which are jewels (unfortunately, much of the rest of the city hasn't fared as well/continues to decline).

*The '64 riots didn't start on Corn Hill/Clarissa St., but on the last night of the riots they'd spread to that area, which was known as the old 3rd Ward.

-
My grandmother lived in the senior high-rise on South Plymouth and we used to drive down Plymouth to get to her home. This was pre-riot. That stretch of S. Plymouth you mentioned really was a slum. I haven't been down there in years, but on the map, it looks like they rerouted S Plymouth, so I'm guessing all those shabby storefronts and houses were razed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area