U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,905,266 times

Advertisements

It will probably be around june or early july at the latest of next year. Originally wanted to go this summer, but my son is going to be a senior this year and we decided it would be best if he would finish highschool at the same place. He is planning on going to college in NY though!

Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM

161 posts, read 967,917 times
Mandy we made the move from Long Island to Syracuse last month. Aside from our concern of the children adjusting we love it up here!. The people are so friendly, over friendly, it's amazing. No traffic, no congestion, plenty of shopping. Beautiful homes and neighborhoods right out of storybooks. So far we are very happy yet we sometimes feel a bit uprooted after living in the same house for the past 18years and for my wife she had lived in that one Long Island town her whole life. So there are adjustments but so far it is so nice. PS we haven't experienced the winter yet so it will take a full year of living here to make accurate comments about our happiness with this move.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:24 PM

lol.... I'm sure you've been warned by just about all of your neighbors by now. But you still have yet to see upstate's (arguably) best season; Autumn.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,416 times
Aquaeny,

Please go home.

Then maybe I can get your job. I'm sure you have health insurance, benefits and make more than 18k per year. Btw, I'm a college grad. Thanks so much.

Not everyone in NYC is greedy. Some of us are born here and struggle to get by.

If anything, you are greedy. You're only in NY for work reasons. Right? You came to the city to make money and then take it back home.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaecny View Post
I live in NYC now, but I still prefer the upstate mentality. At least people in Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Saratoga, Ithaca, Buffalo are pleasant and very friendly. You can't necessarily say that about NYC! The quietest moments of my day are actually the morning commute on the subway. Everyone sticks to themselves, and are not at all 'accomodating'. I believe all of these cities that I have mentioned are "blue". There are quite a bit to do in all of the cities. The downside is, a majority of NYC people are greedy and want everything available when they want it. Yes, there are more options available in NYC, but to be honest, there are way too many options available. It is very overwhelming and actually makes it difficult to choose.

It comes down to this.... both Upstate/NYC have their advantages and disadvantages. You need to weigh what you really want. Is this more important than that?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 43,399 times
I grew up in Pittsford and I can only echo iminformed's statement that Yunas could not be any more WRONG. I have lived in the midwest, the pacific northwest and down south and I still have a place in my heart for Rochester. Pittsford is all that the first person posted, but Rochester was also named one of the top friendliest cities in a poll recently. I now live in NYC and agree the delis, etc that you find in this area do not exsist as they do there, but that's what makes NYC so unique. Wegmans, Tops and Brueggers are the closest things you'll find to the upscale markets and such in NYC/LI area.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,778 times
Default LI vs Rochester vs NYC

I'm originally from Long Island, I went to school in NYC, I moved to Amherst, a burb of Buffalo 16 years ago.

Some of these posts compare Rochester to NYC. LI is not NYC. Not the same thing. NYC has things to offer that you won't find any where else. LI as far as I can tell has very little to offer. Yes, the ocean. How often do you go there?

If you live 1/2 way out on the island it takes hours to get to NYC. From Rochester you can hop on Jet Blue and be in Queens in an hour.

For the person that said Wegman's and Tops are as good as a NYC market.... What NYC market is as good as a Wegman's? Please don't tell me Fairway... No, no, no. Love NYC, but grocery stores? No, no.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 AM

254 posts, read 964,073 times
I don't understand the comparision of rochester to NYC...they aren't even close (nor would I want rochester to be) I just find that a strange comparison. If people think Pittsford is uppity move to CT in Fairfield county..they would eat Pittsford people for breakfast! They may be uppity for Rochester (or perceived that way anyways) but in the grand scheme of things they aren't. Before I went to grad school I nannied for a family who was from that are in CT but lived in Brighton on Pelham..I didnt' understand their attitude until I moved to CT and then I could appreciate the way they were LOL and got a good laugh over it.

I agree with i'minformed..blech don't move south..we live in Charlotte and honestly my husband would take a pay cut just to move back to Rochester (and he literally would have to even if he didn't just want to do it by choice) He is a packaging engineer manager for a very large company here and went to RIT..the #1 school in the country for packaging science but there are NO jobs for him there..and he has been looking for 8 years

Rochester is a wonderful place to live and to raise a family

Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,778 times
Default NYC - Long Island - Rochester

[quote=melkat;302337]I don't understand the comparision of rochester to NYC...they aren't even close (nor would I want rochester to be) I just find that a strange comparison.

I believe the comparision came from the original question, someone from LI was considering relocating to Rochester. The replies tried to compare where the person was coming from to where they were going to. They made the common mistake of thinking Long Island is the same as NYC and it's not.

I agree Rochester is a fine place to raise a family. Superior to Long Island I'm sure. Mame

Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,063 times
Default trying to choose between Buffalo burbs and rochester burbs

Hello Everyone,

I've read the threads on this blog and they have all been very informative. My family is thinking of relocating to the WNY area and have decided that we need to choose between Buffalo and Rochester. We live in small college town right now and like this type of atmosphere such as diversity, culture, great place to raise a family, friendly people all around etc. We are contemplating on relocating to be closer to family.

Does anyone have any remarks/comments on comparing Buffalo and Rochester. Both my wife and I are in the health care field. My only real concern about both areas are the longterm predictions for both areas economies.

Are there any initiatives to increase or decrease property taxes in these areas?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM

Growing up in the Rochester suburbs obviously puts me in a bias category...but I will actually be the first to tell you that I would ratheer live in the City of Bufffalo than the City of Rochester....however, Rochester's suburbs are much nicer than Buffalos IMHO, and I think most people who have either lived in or visited both would agree. Taxes in WNY are high...there's no doubt about that. Newly elected governer Spitzer says that lowering upstate's tax burden, which is among the highest in the nation, is his top priority and from what I've heard and seen...he seems to be more sincere in this promise than many other NY State leaders have been in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area