Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,489 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Snyder a suburb of Buffalo for 16 years. I don't know Rochester all that well. Snyder has been a nice place to raise my children. Amherst Central a good school system. Taxes here are lower than Long Island. Mame

Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 451,947 times
Translation: The Albany Economy is expanding...you say not by much; what is much?? It is booming son. [/quote]

Much is being able to find a job easily. Places like DC and Boston are booming. Albany is not. One of the reasons why I left Albany was to take a new position in the NYC area because I could not advance in Albany. I left Rochester for a similar reason. With that said, both places are comming back , its just that Albany is comming back SLIGHTLY faster than others. According to the link you posted, Albany had a .97 job increase while Rochester had a -.93 decrease. Not that big of a difference. Besides, I'm not gonna put too much faith in a listing that has Camden NJ higher up that both Albany and Rochester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acnemaster View Post
Translation: You were right, albany is one of the 5 oldest settlements in the United States, It has a rich Dutch, English, and native American history.
As I said before, Albany has a rich history, SO DO THE OTHER UPSTATE CITIES, JUST IN DIFFERENT TIME PERIODS.
Quote:
Translation: Other upstate citeis is the key phrase...and Rochester is not on the finger lakes at all. How can you cruise on the fingerlakes in Rochester? You can't.
I also mentioned lake Ontario. I have also seen cruise type boats on the Genesee river by downtown.
Quote:
Translation: I am jealous because the first thing a newcomer notices about a city is its dowtown area and skyline. Architecture is a component of culture, and the impression a skyline leaves is lasting.
Yes, and just because a building is not as tall as another, does not make it impressive. The 2 buildings at the capital plaza stick out like a sore thumb since there are not any other buildings close to that size in the very small Albany skyline. Places like Rochester and Buffalo have slightly smaller buildings, but with a meatier skyline. That is more impressive than 2 large buildings surrounded by nothing.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-15-2007 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 02-14-2007, 09:08 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,711,077 times
All places have its high and low points.....Give it a rest. IMO all of these cities are pretty much the same thing.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-15-2007 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 138,595 times
Default albany

andry rooney is from Albany...nuff said. His eyebrows alone make my town cool.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,505 times
I'm a junior in HS moving with my mother to either Buffalo or Rochester. We'll be there next week to check it out. Does anyone have any info about the Rochester School of the Arts and/ or The Buffalo Academy for Visual and Performing Arts (BAVPA)? We want a more liberal/ arty city atmoshere or an affordable walking quaint village. My mom's on disability, so money is tight. Any suggestions?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Default deleted posts

My posts got deleted the reason said "troll"

What does this mean?? I'm not used to having my opinions silenced.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,581,221 times
It's because you are a troll....mine were deleted because they were offensive....in response to your asinine trolling.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM

Default troll?

When I think of a troll I think of a small hobbit like creature that lives under bridges. There must be more to the troll thing...do explain.

Does it mean I have been nominated as an All Star from city data??

I wish I was offensive and not a troll.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:09 PM

122 posts, read 790,318 times
Default buffalo vs. rochester

This is really a reply to everything that's been said/asked about Rochester, NYC, and Buffalo.

I'm a born & raised NYer, but I've subletted in Rochester. It's true what people have been saying about Rochester being economically depressed. But I think that it has a lot of potential. All it needs is for people (maybe not as many "uppity" NYers like the wine guy) to contribute to the city's economy instead of staying home and griping about how there's nothing to do.

Personally, I really like Rochester. I love my hometown, but I prefer a slower pace. The rents [and therefore probably housing prices] are low, the people are friendly, some of the architecture (East Ave.) is breathtaking, and the bars/restaurants have character--and not to mention excellent chicken wings! Being a soon-to-be college grad, I have to go where the jobs are for now, but for the person who asked about Buffalo vs. Rochester, Rochester is not a bad choice. The Health care industry is probably one of the few that isn't drying up like Kodak--2 out of 5 of the city's top employers are health care related.

I know lots of people from Buffalo, one of whom is my roommate. As I understand it, Buffalo is a "bigger city" with a stronger artistic pulse and music scene. Its public transportation system is WAAAY better. Like someone else on this thread, I heard the Buffalo suburbs are crap..but I've never been to them. (We must remember that both cities have experienced heavy-duty urban decay, though). I DO know that Webster and Pittsford have famous public schools. ONe of Webster's high schools is--seriously--known throughout the country for its athletics and was once voted #1 by Sports Illustrated for...something (i don't like sports, heh); and I've heard that public schools in Pittsford are some of the best in the state for general academics. Hmm..let's see...both cities get beastly amounts of snow in the winter, but some parts of Buffalo remain unplowed while Rochester and its suburbs seem to be on top of that. I learned to drive in Rochester and have to say that practicing there is a lot less intimidating than pretty much everywhere else.

As far as Upstate vs. NYC, I'll agree that some NYers are incredibly spoiled and expect too much (aka duplicates of NYC) wherever else they go. But it all boils down to taste. If you like a slower-paced lifestyle, go upstate. If you need tons of culture daily, stay in NYC.

Hope I helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakuman View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've read the threads on this blog and they have all been very informative. My family is thinking of relocating to the WNY area and have decided that we need to choose between Buffalo and Rochester. We live in small college town right now and like this type of atmosphere such as diversity, culture, great place to raise a family, friendly people all around etc. We are contemplating on relocating to be closer to family.

Does anyone have any remarks/comments on comparing Buffalo and Rochester. Both my wife and I are in the health care field. My only real concern about both areas are the longterm predictions for both areas economies.

Are there any initiatives to increase or decrease property taxes in these areas?

Thanks in advance for your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area