Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM

35 posts, read 132,717 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed that a lot of gas stations are labeling their gas pumps "contains 10% Ethanol"? If you do a little reseach you'll find that using this kind of gasoline will lower your gas mileage at least 10% which means you're paying 10% more for your gas. Of course the government loves it when you have to buy more gas to go the same distance. They get to collect more taxes. Ethanol is not the magic answer to our problems.
Even the government says not to store this stuff more than a month or two or it will start to separate. Adding things like Stabil are useless againist ethanol. Good luck with your lawnmover or generator. If you have a boat with a fiberglass tank kiss it goodbye. Hess, Kwik-Fill, and Citgo are still selling real gas. I'm sure there are a few others too. Sunoco, BJ's, Mobil, Gulf, Valero stay away from. Take a good look at the pump next time you get gas. It's a state law that they have to label it if it contains Ethanol. $2.72 a gallon is is really about $3.00 a gallon if it has ethanol in it. Do a little research if you have any doubts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
I would think this should go in the automotive or another general forum.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 AM

Just trying to help educate people where I live so that they can make intelligent decisions instead of letting the government do it for us. We have more than enough of that!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
Seems awfully strange that we've spent millions of dollars already trying to produce this stuff if it's ineffective. I'll have to do some research on the matter. It could be an important thing to know about.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleman602 View Post
If you do a little reseach you'll find that using this kind of gasoline will lower your gas mileage at least 10%
I have done a little research and the 10% figure of MPG loss is hardly uncontroversial. I have no problem with 10% Ethanol gas.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Seems awfully strange that we've spent millions of dollars already trying to produce this stuff if it's ineffective. I'll have to do some research on the matter. It could be an important thing to know about.
It may not be as "effective" as traditional gas but it also doesn't take millions of years to grow a crop of corn. So it's not strange that we're looking into ethanol as a replacement for fossil fuels.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
It may not be as "effective" as traditional gas but it also doesn't take millions of years to grow a crop of corn. So it's not strange that we're looking into ethanol as a replacement for fossil fuels.
Which creates domestic jobs which might offset said cost.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Ya it's pretty hard to find ethanol-free gas anywhere... And my cars is 6 years old and paid for so I don't feel that protective of it anymore lol.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM

I think some of you need to check out the Cornell University study that shows that it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than you get out of a gallon of ethanol. Good luck storing it in your lawnmower and trimmers over the winter.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 18,055 times
I am on my 8th tank of 80%+ Ethanol in my Flexfuel truck. I travel around the state a lot and figured the difference between $2.79 and $1.99 was worth a try. I am the kind of person who would not cross the street for a nickle difference, but 80 cents appealed to me.

My gas mileage has varied from almost no change to 4 MPG less. I think batches may be different. I get 19.5 highway on traditional gas. My performance has stayed the same.

My check engine light came on for the fuel recovery vent solenoid and the "tighten gas cap" warning light has come on 5 times. I think it is possible the vapor pressure is different in Ethanol and it was not programmed properly in the design of my truck's system. The vent solenoid is not expensive and I will replace it since the truck is approaching 70,000 miles. It could be a coincidence.

If I am busy and save $50 a week it is good stuff. If I commuted to a regular job and saved $10 a week I probably would not take the risk of a new product.

RW48
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area