Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 AM

20 posts, read 82,355 times

Advertisements

i grew up in the suburbs of manhattan. school in boston for 8 years. back to manhattan for 14???, a few years in europe and now thinking about the states again.

i like green and trees and open spaces and low cost of living. the major cities are way too expensive for me. seems like in the adirondack region you can get a decent house and a few acres for under 100k. i plan on doing a lot of growing... trees, fruits and vegetable garden. maybe if i have enough land some small scale farming.

i have spent a fair amount of time in vermont... very beautiful, but new york seems less expensive and just as beautiful.

land in upstate new york seems ridiculously cheap... about 1k/acre in some areas.

i am considering utica/rochester/ northern new york. but anything else really where i can live peacefully and quiet near to nature, not in an overpopulated area, with low taxes.

thoughts on rochester? or any other ideas that i havent thought about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,678,271 times
If you want quiet, not overpopulated and to be in nature, Rochester is the wrong place. Its a decent sized city with higher taxes. Its close enough to nature but a better bet would be the Utica area which is right next to the Adirondacks.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 AM

259 posts, read 450,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_key View Post
i grew up in the suburbs of manhattan. school in boston for 8 years. back to manhattan for 14???, a few years in europe and now thinking about the states again.

i like green and trees and open spaces and low cost of living. the major cities are way too expensive for me. seems like in the adirondack region you can get a decent house and a few acres for under 100k. i plan on doing a lot of growing... trees, fruits and vegetable garden. maybe if i have enough land some small scale farming.

i have spent a fair amount of time in vermont... very beautiful, but new york seems less expensive and just as beautiful.

land in upstate new york seems ridiculously cheap... about 1k/acre in some areas.

i am considering utica/rochester/ northern new york. but anything else really where i can live peacefully and quiet near to nature, not in an overpopulated area, with low taxes.

Rochester is a small city, I dont know how much farm land you will find.

But south of Rochester is the Finger Lakes region and southern tier you will find plenty of open land, at a low price where you can farm with a low population.

You can certainly live in Rochester and drive an hour to your farm if you want to maintain two homes but live in a small city where you can see a play or a jazz show.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:21 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,976,004 times
Ontario county might not be that bad either. It is close to Rochester and is growing county. Plenty of wide open space there.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 AM

259 posts, read 450,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Ontario county might not be that bad either. It is close to Rochester and is growing county. Plenty of wide open space there.
Visit and spend some time there and see how well you like it.

Make sure you visit in the winter time too.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 PM

92,037 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_key View Post

Maybe something around Plattsburgh or Glens Falls could work too. Both are close to vermont, but are close to bigger cities like Montreal in the case of P'burgh and the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area in the case of Glens Falls.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 AM

20 posts, read 82,355 times
Default more ideas

thanks everyone for the ideas so far.

i have been thinking more on the subject and doing some internet poking around. i had settled on the adirondack region, because i erroneously thought that would be my best bang for the buck as far as land and houses go. but this is not so. it seems like nice wooded land and houses can be had under 100k all the way down to the catskill area, and then westward toward northern pa.

thoughts of the south have also crept into my mind as well. eastern TN, southern AL, western VA, and GA.

there seems to be some beautiful and inexpensive property when you get to the very northern adirondack region near canada, but the extreme cold sort of has me wary.

so i'm wondering if anyone knows where are the best values as far as raw natural beauty, amount of land, and house for the dollar.

i need to reign in my possibilities.

the recession has created some pleasant problems as even northern CA has some nice properties for under 100k. unthinkable 2 years ago.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:45 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,678,999 times
20-30 minutes west, south or east from downtown is plenty of farmland... I don't know where everyone is getting figures of an hour drive. Of course no one expects to have acres of land in the middle of a city... however you can have a farm house and be close to Rochester very easily.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:54 PM

259 posts, read 794,880 times
We used to live in Rochester but moved to upstate SC. We are quite close to Charlotte, NC which is too overpopulated for you, but I would encourage you to look in western to central SC. The main reason is the weather for farming and the lower taxes.

While we were trying to figure out where to move, I also came across eastern Tennessee. The one attraction there was no state income tax!!

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 11,645 times
I lived in northern ny for 5 years, hated it. Not pretty, taxes are high, nothing to do. Finger Lakes area south of Rochester is very very nice, beautiful scenery, afforadable real estate. Utica is a nice city, but the countryside can be somewhat depressing. Adirondack region is pretty but can be pricey in certain areas and winters are tough. I have lived in all these areas, I now live south of Rochester in the Finger Lakes, bought a restored farmhouse and six plus acres for under !70k. Love it. But if you are thinking of going even further south I would encourage that. Property taxes in NY are high and likely will continue to go up. Not a good forecast for the financial health of NY. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area