Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 AM

259 posts, read 454,531 times

Advertisements

YIKES.. too much poop in the water.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1612/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1612R-6081.jpg (broken link)

Underscoring continuing pollution concerns in western New York waters, an annual nationwide study has ranked local swimming beaches among the most challenged in the state.
Ontario Beach in Charlotte was seventh-worst in the state last year, with 30 percent of water samples failing to meet state bacteria standards.

Pultneyville Mariners Beach in Wayne County, also on Lake Ontario, was third-worst among 350 New York beaches that were tested last year, according to data compiled by the Natural Resources Defense Council.

Durand Beach in Rochester, two swimming areas at Hamlin Beach State Park and one other location in Wayne County also were near the top of the list of beaches facing bacteria problems.

In all, eight of the 10 worst beaches were on Lake Ontario or Lake Erie — yet another demonstration that those lakes, like many others in the region, still suffer from storm water runoff, sewer-system discharges and other pollutants. Those sources are blamed for feeding bacteria into the lakes and for loading the water bodies with nutrients that stimulate the growth of beach-fouling algae.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
I wonder where its supposed to go?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I wonder where its supposed to go?
Maybe a sewage treatment plant?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Does Rochester even have any? I'm googling, I see some in Buffalo, but not Rochester. I know Kodak Park has one, but thats for Kodak and the other businesses inside.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Does Rochester even have any? I'm googling, I see some in Buffalo, but not Rochester. I know Kodak Park has one, but thats for Kodak and the other businesses inside.

One would think that with the dying local economy that the locals would try to capitalize on the water front location by at least attempting to manage the water quality issues.

To keep wastewater (from homes, business, etc.) from spoiling our water resources, pollutants must be removed before it is discharged back into the environment. In Monroe County, wastewater is collected by a system of underground pipes, or sewers, which carry it to wastewater treatment facilities (WWTF). Most of these are located near bodies of water into which the treated wastewater is discharged. Prior to 1970, there were approximately 40 WWTFs in Monroe County. Today, eight facilities remain, serving a population of over a half million.
Until 1998, Monroe County operated three WWTFs: Northwest Quadrant, Frank E. VanLare and Gates Chili Ogden. Gates-Chili-Ogden WWTF had a final discharge into the Genesee River. It was determined this point source could be eliminated by shutting down GCO and pumping the sewage flow to VanLare. A sewage pumping station was constructed on the grounds of the Gates Chili Ogden facility and the plant was decommissioned. The discharge from the pumping station is routed through the new Gates-Chili-Ogden force main to the southwest section of the Rochester, then on through downtown Rochester and north to VanLare—where it is treated.
Other wastewater treatment plants that discharge into the Genesee River include those from the villages of Scottsville and Honeoye Falls; and Kodak’s King’s Landing. Each of these facilities has a permit to discharge specific amounts of certain pollutants.
The county’s VanLare and Northwest Quadrant plants are located on the south shore of Lake Ontario. VanLare dates back to 1916 and is the largest WWTF in the county. The operating permit for flow is 135 million gallons per day (mgd) with a capability of handling 660mgd during storm events. Northwest Quadrant is located in the town of Hilton and handles largely residential wastewater. NWQ has a permitted flow of 22mgd and handles 14mgd on average

Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 AM

5 posts, read 18,055 times
My wife and I visited Charlotte Beach last week. We like to go to the LDR Charbroil, walk to the end of the pier, and ride the Merry Go Round at least once a year. We have been doing this since the early 1970's.

Our last visit was unbelievable. People were gagging and covering their mouths with their shirts or holding their breath the best they could at the pier. The water was so thick with waste it was smooth on the surface. The waves couldn't even get through.

Isn't this the place all the tourists from Toronto were going to visit after their ride on the $50,000,000 albatross? Their was a volley ball competition on the beach. Their was a skateboarding party. Tents were set up in a festive manner. And the sewer was trapped in the corner by the pier.

I read about the great promotional skills of the elected officials in attracting tourism and business to the area. I read about building great centers in downtown. I read about wonderful use of fuel technology they will use in their vehicles. Maybe keeping the crap out of the lake water is not glorious enough to read about or to get votes.

Maybe the eyes roll and a scream comes from the chambers when spending more money in Charlotte is mentioned. (I like the visual I just had.) What would it take to resolve the trapped water issue? If they built a home for the foreign architect who designed the floundering Renaissance Center at the pier I bet the water would be real sweet in no time.

I am looking forward to a cozy lunch at the LDR on a cold winter day. We like that season, too.

RM48

Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmaster48 View Post
My wife and I visited Charlotte Beach last week. We like to go to the LDR Charbroil, walk to the end of the pier, and ride the Merry Go Round at least once a year. We have been doing this since the early 1970's.

Our last visit was unbelievable. People were gagging and covering their mouths with their shirts or holding their breath the best they could at the pier. The water was so thick with waste it was smooth on the surface. The waves couldn't even get through.

Isn't this the place all the tourists from Toronto were going to visit after their ride on the $50,000,000 albatross? Their was a volley ball competition on the beach. Their was a skateboarding party. Tents were set up in a festive manner. And the sewer was trapped in the corner by the pier.

I read about the great promotional skills of the elected officials in attracting tourism and business to the area. I read about building great centers in downtown. I read about wonderful use of fuel technology they will use in their vehicles. Maybe keeping the crap out of the lake water is not glorious enough to read about or to get votes.

Maybe the eyes roll and a scream comes from the chambers when spending more money in Charlotte is mentioned. (I like the visual I just had.) What would it take to resolve the trapped water issue? If they built a home for the foreign architect who designed the floundering Renaissance Center at the pier I bet the water would be real sweet in no time.

I am looking forward to a cozy lunch at the LDR on a cold winter day. We like that season, too.

RM48

The Rochester area business and political community fail miserably at developing the water front as an economic engine. One would think that in a region thats dying economically that they would recognize the great potential of the city being in a water front location. I have to laugh at the local "leadership" who are mostly self serving and so conservative and stupid that their lack of positive action is killing the region.

All those miles of waterfront wont serve the region well when the water is literally filled with poop.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Here is about the only treatment plant I'm aware of:vl1
It used to be really "odifirous" They cleaned it up a bit..have not been near it for many years..

Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Here is about the only treatment plant I'm aware of:vl1
It used to be really "odifirous" They cleaned it up a bit..have not been near it for many years..
Play golf at the Durand golf course just after a holiday weekend to know that is not always true

Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
So it still stinks???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area