U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,659,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Holy moly. I lived in the Dewey/Stone area, no garage. Although I loved living in the Rochester area, I'm glad I moved.

I lived in the same house there for 7 years, and I sold it for what I bought it for and was told by real estate agents that I was fortunate not to lose anything. I think the homes go for about $10K more now, 16 years later.

In the same time period, my home in Raleigh appreciated about $70K total (from its original price), which for Raleigh, is still somewhat low compared to newer homes. (I've always preferred older homes.)

$4K in taxes on a 900 square foot home west of Mt. Read!? OMG! No wonder people are flocking here. (Although things are pretty bad now -- very high unemployment, high real estate, high living costs, etc.) The Rochester area has more things to do.

And no wonder you are in SC.
One friend lives on Wendhurst, off Stone. Bought the house from his parents. I've seen houses in that area as low as $65K (I've heard some go for less; there are HUD homes that come up for sale from time to time, there), and that's usually for one that needs lots of work and updating. Highest was maybe $100K, and that would include a pool or 1.5 car garage, at least, with updates, hardwoods, EIK, vinyl siding, HVAC, new roof, expansions, properly insulated (those Cape Cods can be a pain) etc.

His house would go for $450K here in a nice part of the City of Greenville (1300 sq. ft. Cape that needs nothing), but he'd be lucky to get $85K for it, tomorrow, up there. Sad, with all the work, landscaping, etc., that's gone into the property. I think he pays around $2700-$2800/yr. on the STAR program. One issue, too, in that area are the neighbors. Houses are close together, and if the neighbors on both sides, behind, across the street, etc., don't maintain their properties, then all that work is for naught. He's in that situation right now. Sure, his assessment 5 years ago was for $95K, but there's no way he could get that with a rental on one side, a vacant house across the street, a vacant foreclosure 2 houses down, etc. There have been issues with drug houses here and there, right off Dewey (California Dr., definitely, which is sad).

Much of Dewey/Stone has seen better days, although there are decent pockets. Was nicer 20 years ago when high school friends of mine lived there. Personally, I'd rather live there than off Ridge by St. John's parish near to the mall (similar area), if it were my choice.

Mine and my wife's first house in Rochester was of newer construction, yet not new, per se. Couple had divorced and the house was priced for a quick sale at way under market (Fairport area). Taxes went up $500 2nd year we were there, to $6500/yr. (total taxes), and our house was smaller than others in our neighborhood. Didn't really like the area so much, and I got a job on the west side in '05, so we moved and ended up in Greece near to the canal, which is a nice area (off Elmgrove). Older post war house, yet the taxes were still high ($6K). I'm with you, I like older, solid construction that is easy to maintain and repair.

Moved to Columbia, SC, for a year and rented, then moved to Greenville last year, before our oldest started kindergarten. Bought our first SC house, and it's a post war 1800 sq. ft. ranch, 1.5 car garage, almost half an acre, needing little work when we moved in, and our taxes are $1300/yr. I figure every dime we put into this place will pay us back in spades, upon sale. Both houses we had in Rochester were nice, and I had one of my own when we met that was nice, too, on the canal in Fairport.

Several folks we know whom have left Rochester (Monroe and Ontario counties) lost some money upon resale, and these were nice houses that would probably go for between $200K and $450K, down here.

One reason why my mom's taxes are high is because her property abuts a school lot. Crazy, considering there are 1200 sq. ft. ranch houses on her street, with pools, hot tubs, 1.5-2 baths, finished basements, etc., and her assessment is the same, despite her scarce amenities (although it's a nice house).

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 AM

14 posts, read 42,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like St. Stanislaus is on the North Side, but I don't think the OP would want to check out that area around Hudson ave. I would think Irondequoit or the Lyceum area would be better and relevant in regards to Polish based organizations and such. I think a original Polish parish was at Sacred heart Cathedral in the Maplewood area of the city as well.

Are there any decent or nice areas on the North Side of Rochester maybe towards Irondequoit? i ask because there still seems to be some sense of a Polish community close to St. Stanislaus.
I would prob pick to live in Irondequoit. Nice town- want west iron if you have kids but... eh whatever Irondequoit is the best place around that I have been in. I absoluley hated living in greece- none of the people were like me!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM

87 posts, read 79,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimukr104 View Post
hI,i AM LOOKING INTO rOCHESTER AREA OR SUBURBS AND I SEE HOMES FOR 65,000-70,000 ON MOTHNANGLE THAT LOOK GREAT,EVEN PHOTOS OF INSIDES LOOK GOOD AND HOME LISTS UPDATES.(sorry caps).I check zipcodes and they seem to be good demographics.I like Greece. So why are the homes so low and what would total taxes be plus school taxes on 75,000 home.what would be insurance and utilities on these homes.

what are the good zip codes in the city itself?
I am not a snob and dont need an expensive home to show off. I am from brooklyn ,ny and the same old homes would go for over $400,000 and not be as updated,infact nyc homes seem to be less updated the nrorchester homes,probably costs more to do so.
could anyone tell me what would be a good area for polish couple.

Yes they are real, its supply and demand. People are not flocking to western NY so the price of homes are very low. The homes are priced based on supply/demand and the prevailing wage base.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 PM

847 posts, read 1,638,963 times
Yes Rochester has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,140,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Yes Rochester has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation.

Sorry to split hairs but a $2 avocado is not low. Add this to the property taxes and such and your even with everyone else in the country .

Old 12-11-2009, 05:02 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
Columbus Ohio is a medium sized city, Rochester NY is a small dying backwater city.

and you are a smallminded troll

Old 12-11-2009, 05:20 PM

233 posts, read 596,735 times
Well, for what it's worth...wait, that's not a good preface to this sentence, considering Rochester isn't worth much. Yes, the house prices are low, but it's not worth everything else that comes with it.

And for the record, just because someone has a differing opinion of an area, that doesn't make them a "troll".

Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM

56,721 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Sorry to split hairs but a $2 avocado is not low. Add this to the property taxes and such and your even with everyone else in the country .
Things generally even out no matter where you go. Then, when you consider as bad as the job market has been, it actually worse in many, if not most places right now, a city like Rochester might actually be inviting right now.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:40 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,194,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimukr104 View Post
hI,i AM LOOKING INTO rOCHESTER AREA OR SUBURBS AND I SEE HOMES FOR 65,000-70,000 ON MOTHNANGLE THAT LOOK GREAT,EVEN PHOTOS OF INSIDES LOOK GOOD AND HOME LISTS UPDATES.(sorry caps).I check zipcodes and they seem to be good demographics.I like Greece. So why are the homes so low and what would total taxes be plus school taxes on 75,000 home.what would be insurance and utilities on these homes.

what are the good zip codes in the city itself?
I am not a snob and dont need an expensive home to show off. I am from brooklyn ,ny and the same old homes would go for over $400,000 and not be as updated,infact nyc homes seem to be less updated the nrorchester homes,probably costs more to do so.
could anyone tell me what would be a good area for polish couple.
I was born in queens and moved to long island when I was young.I have been up here for a little over a year but will be returning to long island as soon as I can.My wife originally was from Brooklyn(coney island area). The houses are very nice and most schools are good but it is quite different then NYC.My suggestion is to take a 2 week vacation(minimum) to the area here to make a true assessment.Employment is much harder to come by unless you have a minimum of a bachelors degree and even then it can be difficult unless you are in the medical field(IMO).

Old 12-11-2009, 06:42 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,194,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Compared to NYC and long island the property taxes of Rochester are lower but not alot lower.The grocery prices are MUCH lower and in general cost of living is quite a bit less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area