U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:27 PM

87 posts, read 78,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Well, for what it's worth...wait, that's not a good preface to this sentence, considering Rochester isn't worth much. Yes, the house prices are low, but it's not worth everything else that comes with it.

And for the record, just because someone has a differing opinion of an area, that doesn't make them a "troll".

Thats the Rochester mentality showing in these people, the area is full of followers. Grown men and women who have the confidence of a pimpled face adolescent. If you been exposed to more and better and have out grown the place there must be something wrong with you in their tiny insecure world.

Cheap homes are abundant in all kinds of dead end towns all over the USA, your right, its not worth everything that comes with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 22,450 times
Greece is great, i love it here! 14626 is a prime zip, and it is right in the heart of everything! Other nice areas include Fairport, Pittsford, Penfield, Gates, and the City (East Ave, Park Ave, etc. around those areas). Good Luck on your move!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,871,724 times
Quote:
Well, for what it's worth...wait, that's not a good preface to this sentence, considering Rochester isn't worth much. Yes, the house prices are low, but it's not worth everything else that comes with it.

And for the record, just because someone has a differing opinion of an area, that doesn't make them a "troll".
actually, considering the fact that they no longer live in this area, and posted only negative commments about it...and were in fact banned from the site (hence it saying "not a member" under his/her username); yes, troll is an appropriate label.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 AM

113 posts, read 564,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Holy moly. I lived in the Dewey/Stone area, no garage. Although I loved living in the Rochester area, I'm glad I moved.

I lived in the same house there for 7 years, and I sold it for what I bought it for and was told by real estate agents that I was fortunate not to lose anything. I think the homes go for about $10K more now, 16 years later.

In the same time period, my home in Raleigh appreciated about $70K total (from its original price), which for Raleigh, is still somewhat low compared to newer homes. (I've always preferred older homes.)

$4K in taxes on a 900 square foot home west of Mt. Read!? OMG! No wonder people are flocking here. (Although things are pretty bad now -- very high unemployment, high real estate, high living costs, etc.) The Rochester area has more things to do.

And no wonder you are in SC.
Yep it's an unfortunate fact that property taxes here being as high as they are are repressing property appreciation. Areas like this are terrible from that perspective. I suppose it's all a wash if you plan on staying here indefinitely but if you want to sell your house and go to a nursing home at some point you'll have a lot less money left over if your house has taken three decades to double in value (number pulled from air).
Quote:
I figure every dime we put into this place will pay us back in spades, upon sale. Both houses we had in Rochester were nice, and I had one of my own when we met that was nice, too, on the canal in Fairport.
People don't own their homes in Rochester, they rent them. With the taxes as high as they are and the slow equity gain, it's an adage more real than comedic, unfortunately. I still do not _for a second_ regret moving from the South with its traffic and prices and traffic and the traffic. And the traffic and bad schools, but this is still something to keep in mind.

GOOD LORD how I hate traffic. Speaking of which, I am never going to Greece again. I was there this past weekend, traffic started reminding me again of the South. I am east of the city.
Quote:
Thats the Rochester mentality showing in these people, the area is full of followers. Grown men and women who have the confidence of a pimpled face adolescent. If you been exposed to more and better and have out grown the place there must be something wrong with you in their tiny insecure world.
I've lived in a few countries. I am, however, proud of you for "outgrowing" Rochester and being able to look down upon those with small minds who have yet to be exposed to enough to understand how ignorant and silly they are for still living here

Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,225,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like St. Stanislaus is on the North Side, but I don't think the OP would want to check out that area around Hudson ave. I would think Irondequoit or the Lyceum area would be better and relevant in regards to Polish based organizations and such. I think a original Polish parish was at Sacred heart Cathedral in the Maplewood area of the city as well.

Are there any decent or nice areas on the North Side of Rochester maybe towards Irondequoit? i ask because there still seems to be some sense of a Polish community close to St. Stanislaus.
We go to church there but we all moved north. Pass Ridge Road going north and it's good middle-class, pass Titus and it's getting a little upper-weenie-middle-class. Some Irondequoit people can be pathologically unfriendly.

Look along Culver; all the way but mostly east.

Sacred Heart is full of very blue collar white folks of indeterminate breed. You want cheerful, try Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Mix of colors and everyone's having a ball.

I like my houses old and a little "charactery" so don't listen to me about houses.

S

Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM

31 posts, read 65,200 times
Quote:

Disagreeing is one thing, disagreeing the way this troll does it is another. You may agree with the troll and it seems you may well do so.

It isn't that you disagree, it's that you disagree and find it necessary to add in the slam that makes the title of troll appropriate.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 PM

31 posts, read 65,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Compared to NYC and long island the property taxes of Rochester are lower but not alot lower.The grocery prices are MUCH lower and in general cost of living is quite a bit less expensive.
Regarding taxes, you have to look at what is paid and what is received. And you have to consider if the properties/taxes paid are comparable.

Well, from your perspective, the groc. prices may SEEM lower in the Rochester area, but they are not. Some things are more, some less. Some "food" items are taxed oin NY that are not in other places, raising their cost 8%+. Remember the majority of food is no longer locally produced...we all share the same basic sources of food through our retail chains.

The prices in the NY/NJ/LI area are higher than many other areas...for some very good reasons:

Every truck load of goods coming in there pays a premium just to enter the city or LI. NJ also likes to keep big rigs on the toll road$, adding to the costs. 11 or 12 years every trailer load paid at least $90 in tolls alone to access LI...and I know the tolls have increased since then. Increased costs of storage, handling, and distribution all add to your final cost there...costs not found in all other areas. Final retail reflects all those costs plus a profit for the retailer.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,148,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles View Post
Regarding taxes, you have to look at what is paid and what is received. And you have to consider if the properties/taxes paid are comparable.

Well, from your perspective, the groc. prices may SEEM lower in the Rochester area, but they are not. Some things are more, some less. Some "food" items are taxed oin NY that are not in other places, raising their cost 8%+. Remember the majority of food is no longer locally produced...we all share the same basic sources of food through our retail chains.

The prices in the NY/NJ/LI area are higher than many other areas...for some very good reasons:

Every truck load of goods coming in there pays a premium just to enter the city or LI. NJ also likes to keep big rigs on the toll road$, adding to the costs. 11 or 12 years every trailer load paid at least $90 in tolls alone to access LI...and I know the tolls have increased since then. Increased costs of storage, handling, and distribution all add to your final cost there...costs not found in all other areas. Final retail reflects all those costs plus a profit for the retailer.
I don't care about the reason,the bottom line is that if I went to wegmans or walmart and bough $150-200 worth of groceries,the same food would cost me closer to $300-$400. So the groceries no matter the reason are cheaper then on long island and NYC. By the way,check gas prices.Long island is cheaper then Rochester and it's surrounding areas so the tolls,etc...are not entirely true because they would apply to gas also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area