U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 24,521 times

Advertisements

hI,i AM LOOKING INTO rOCHESTER AREA OR SUBURBS AND I SEE HOMES FOR 65,000-70,000 ON MOTHNANGLE THAT LOOK GREAT,EVEN PHOTOS OF INSIDES LOOK GOOD AND HOME LISTS UPDATES.(sorry caps).I check zipcodes and they seem to be good demographics.I like Greece. So why are the homes so low and what would total taxes be plus school taxes on 75,000 home.what would be insurance and utilities on these homes.

what are the good zip codes in the city itself?
I am not a snob and dont need an expensive home to show off. I am from brooklyn ,ny and the same old homes would go for over $400,000 and not be as updated,infact nyc homes seem to be less updated the nrorchester homes,probably costs more to do so.
could anyone tell me what would be a good area for polish couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 AM

118 posts, read 580,684 times
As you can see from links below, Rochester's Polish heritage is alive and well! I personally don't know of any specific neighborhoods populated more by Polish families, but there are MANY wonderful places in the city proper and the inner suburb communities (Greece, Gates, Irondequoit, Henrietta) that you can find beautiful older homes in your price range (that, yes, would be about $400,000 in the NYC boroughs) I am sure you will get more advice on this forum as well. Best of luck to you!

Polish Heritage Society of Rochester

Shoulder to Shoulder - Polish Americans in Rochester, NY

St.Stanislaus Polish Arts Festival Home Page

History of the Polish People in Rochester (1 of 5)

Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,319,845 times
These prices are for real. You can easily get an $80k home in a good neighborhood. The taxes are high, but it usually still works in your favor.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 AM

56,269 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post
As you can see from links below, Rochester's Polish heritage is alive and well! I personally don't know of any specific neighborhoods populated more by Polish families, but there are MANY wonderful places in the city proper and the inner suburb communities (Greece, Gates, Irondequoit, Henrietta) that you can find beautiful older homes in your price range (that, yes, would be about $400,000 in the NYC boroughs) I am sure you will get more advice on this forum as well. Best of luck to you!

Polish Heritage Society of Rochester

Shoulder to Shoulder - Polish Americans in Rochester, NY

St.Stanislaus Polish Arts Festival Home Page

History of the Polish People in Rochester (1 of 5)
It looks like St. Stanislaus is on the North Side, but I don't think the OP would want to check out that area around Hudson ave. I would think Irondequoit or the Lyceum area would be better and relevant in regards to Polish based organizations and such. I think a original Polish parish was at Sacred heart Cathedral in the Maplewood area of the city as well.

Are there any decent or nice areas on the North Side of Rochester maybe towards Irondequoit? i ask because there still seems to be some sense of a Polish community close to St. Stanislaus.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-09-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 AM

We have a 2.5 story house with a family room on the third floor in the city. We pay ~$130 a month between gas/electric. I would have to go back and check, but I think some winter months the bill has gone up to $250.

As far as neighborhoods go, you can use google maps to view them all. Browncroft, Cornhill and possibly Cobbs hill are the best neighborhoods in the city. Culver-Winton, Park Ave, East Avenue and Charlotte are good neighborhoods as well, just wouldn't always be my first pick.

Personally I like Browncroft the best, mostly upkept single family homes, quiet neighborhoods, good amount of shopping and restaurants nearby. Cornhill is an older section of Rochester with older historic houses mixed with new housing, very well upkept and is close to downtown. I don't know much about Cobbs hill, but I generally hear good things about it.

Culver-Winton is more affordable and has good neighborhoods. Hazlewood Terrice is probably the best st, Queens st and Grand ave (east of Culver) are very good as well. There are some nice restaurants and shopping nearby, even a small bowling ally. Park ave has alot of younger people, lots of small shops and restaurants, I hear it can be roudy from the kids though. East Avenue has most of the cities mansions and is probably the most upkept part of the city, it is not affordable for most people, but you may be able to rent something for cheap, Park ave and University are close, so shopping/restaurants/bars are closeby. Charlotte has some older, but very nice homes, some are right on the beach/water. I have never compared pricing, but they cannot be cheap. Especially this time of year it is a very nice section of the city, the peir, mom and pop restaurants and a park with a beach are close by. We were walking down there the other day, some of the homes resemble beach houses on the ocean with Cadillacs in the driveway. I couldn't find a single home in poor shape on Beach st.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 AM

49 posts, read 95,497 times
I just sold a house in Greece It is a nice area but in that price range you will get an older home and small you can get more home for your dollar in the city but you need to find a nice area.You should get a realtor and look at whats out there and don't buy without an inspection Good Luck.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 AM

56,269 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
We have a 2.5 story house with a family room on the third floor in the city. We pay ~$130 a month between gas/electric. I would have to go back and check, but I think some winter months the bill has gone up to $250.

As far as neighborhoods go, you can use google maps to view them all. Browncroft, Cornhill and possibly Cobbs hill are the best neighborhoods in the city. Culver-Winton, Park Ave, East Avenue and Charlotte are good neighborhoods as well, just wouldn't always be my first pick.

Personally I like Browncroft the best, mostly upkept single family homes, quiet neighborhoods, good amount of shopping and restaurants nearby. Cornhill is an older section of Rochester with older historic houses mixed with new housing, very well upkept and is close to downtown. I don't know much about Cobbs hill, but I generally hear good things about it.

Culver-Winton is more affordable and has good neighborhoods. Hazlewood Terrice is probably the best st, Queens st and Grand ave (east of Culver) are very good as well. There are some nice restaurants and shopping nearby, even a small bowling ally. Park ave has alot of younger people, lots of small shops and restaurants, I hear it can be roudy from the kids though. East Avenue has most of the cities mansions and is probably the most upkept part of the city, it is not affordable for most people, but you may be able to rent something for cheap, Park ave and University are close, so shopping/restaurants/bars are closeby. Charlotte has some older, but very nice homes, some are right on the beach/water. I have never compared pricing, but they cannot be cheap. Especially this time of year it is a very nice section of the city, the peir, mom and pop restaurants and a park with a beach are close by. We were walking down there the other day, some of the homes resemble beach houses on the ocean with Cadillacs in the driveway. I couldn't find a single home in poor shape on Beach st.
What about the part of the city near Route 104?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,649,562 times
Irondequoit or Greece. Maybe Gates.

Taxes are high, though. On a $75K assessed home expect to pay a total tax bill in the $2800/yr. (+/-) range, depending on how much land is included. Utilities are high, too, and you have to keep this in mind when looking for a house. Most post-war homes seem to be better when it comes to utilities (I've seen pre-war Cape Cod's with gas and electric bills of $300).

Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Irondequoit or Greece. Maybe Gates.

Taxes are high, though. On a $75K assessed home expect to pay a total tax bill in the $2800/yr. (+/-) range, depending on how much land is included. Utilities are high, too, and you have to keep this in mind when looking for a house. Most post-war homes seem to be better when it comes to utilities (I've seen pre-war Cape Cod's with gas and electric bills of $300).
I think our taxes are around 3,300/yr so that sounds right. Taxes can vary wildly between cities and even neighborhoods so keep that in mind.

As far as the areas around 104, the general rule of thumb, if you stay to the east of Culver rd your ok. Most of the neighborhoods over there are decent to great. The homes around the bay can be stupidly expensive, but you get a gorgeous backyard view.

As an example:

The bay area
Bay View Real Estate & Bay View Homes for Sale - Zillow

Those homes start at six figures and go up to seven, I couldn't afford the taxes, let alone the mortgage.

West of Culver closer to Rochester General Hospital:
Bay View Real Estate & Bay View Homes for Sale - Zillow

Culver-Winton neighborhood (my neighborhood):
Culver-Winton Real Estate & Culver-Winton Homes for Sale - Zillow

Its hard to tell, but you can see just from st to st how much the prices vary, Hazlewood terrace & queens is slightly higher some of the homes on Grand are slightly higher. So it really varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Personally if I were to move here, I would at least spend a vacation and do some sightseeing. You can always tell how good a neighborhood is by the condition of the yard. The rough neighborhoods have weeds going up to the porch with peeling paint etc. Any home owner knows how much work and money it is to keep up a nice front yard. I also would make a trip to a home I'm considering during the day AND night. There was a house we were considering, and almost made an offer, until we came back at night (10pm) and found people hanging out on street corners without much to do. We found this place on Grand, it was quiet, relatively cheap, good neighbors with nice front yards and the condition of the house sold us.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM

259 posts, read 321,290 times
Supply and demand, the prices are low because no one is beating down the door to relocate to western NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area