Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS34 View Post
Thanks vlousie for the reply, very helpful. I'm also leaning towards Brighton or maybe the village of Pittsford, we also prefer older houses and trees. good luck!
What about the West Irondequoit area? I believe that has some walkable neighborhoods with some nice older homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,763 times
Good luck to you too Jeff. If you have not lived in Rochester for a while, you should check out the traffic situation in Pittsford Village. It can be a bit daunting. Of course, compared to larger cities we do not have any traffic problems here! There are some very nice neighborhoods that are in the town of Brighton but in Penfield school district. They are mostly around Ellison Park, off Blossom and also Off Penfield Rd heading from East Ave towards Panarama Trail area. There is a very good elementary school there, Indian Landing School and you see packs of kids walking to school together. I love that, not having to put them on a bus and yet feeling that they are safe walking. That is how I grew up and I would like my child to enjoy the "trials and tribulations" of having to walk "all that way..."

Old 08-11-2009, 11:38 AM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about the West Irondequoit area? I believe that has some walkable neighborhoods with some nice older homes.
West Irondequoit is very nice, with a great school district. Not quite Pittsford or Brighton, but probably a solid 3rd place in schools in the area. I believe Briarwood elementary school was ranked the best in the state.

West Irondequoit seems to not have a great reputation on this board, but it has great neighborhoods off of St. Paul heading towards the lake.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
West Irondequoit is very nice, with a great school district. Not quite Pittsford or Brighton, but probably a solid 3rd place in schools in the area. I believe Briarwood elementary school was ranked the best in the state.

West Irondequoit seems to not have a great reputation on this board, but it has great neighborhoods off of St. Paul heading towards the lake.

Yeah, I thought it was a nice area from what I've seen and it seems to have the type of neighborhoods that the OP wants. It seems to be a bit more affordable, but of high quality as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,763 times
I do like the feel of West Irondequoit. It is beautiful and I too have read statistics that point to the school district being very good. The only drawback I have found is accessability. Living where I do, I have been spoiled by being on a quiet residential street but still only about 1/4 mi. from an expressway entrance, and then I am close to everything in Monroe county because I am near the center. Driving through W. Irond. it seems like most of the picturesque neighborhoods require driving for miles along congested roads to get to an expressway. I do hate traffic!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlouise View Post
I do like the feel of West Irondequoit. It is beautiful and I too have read statistics that point to the school district being very good. The only drawback I have found is accessability. Living where I do, I have been spoiled by being on a quiet residential street but still only about 1/4 mi. from an expressway entrance, and then I am close to everything in Monroe county because I am near the center. Driving through W. Irond. it seems like most of the picturesque neighborhoods require driving for miles along congested roads to get to an expressway. I do hate traffic!
It's a 5-10 minute drive to 104 from anywhere in Irondequoit, which then will link you to 590. Or if you live close to the O'Rourke bridge area, you can just do the parkway to 390 route. It's not too bad at all.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:25 AM

116 posts, read 622,337 times
Suburbs or private school. As a whole, rochester city schools have a highschool graduation rate of 39%. Maybe it's moved closer to 50% recently. Who cares, that's just a day care for teenagers, IMO. True, your kids are young, but they're with those same deadbeat kids from the start. I wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area