U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,471 posts, read 74,366,214 times
Reputation: 47872

Advertisements

you have described me to a T and i am sick and tired of being discriminated against. see profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,871,724 times
Reputation: 4238
The only neighborhoods in the City of Rochester that I would consider genuinely "diverse" would be the 19th ward, and south wedge. The rest of the city neighborhoods are for the most part either mostly white, mostly black, or mostly hispanic. This makes the city overall more diverse in general than the suburbs in general; but not a whole lot of diversity within neighborhoods. Actually, you would probably find more diverse neighborhoods in some of the suburbs; especially Henrietta and Brighton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 02:24 PM
 
56,243 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12403
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The only neighborhoods in the City of Rochester that I would consider genuinely "diverse" would be the 19th ward, and south wedge. The rest of the city neighborhoods are for the most part either mostly white, mostly black, or mostly hispanic. This makes the city overall more diverse in general than the suburbs in general; but not a whole lot of diversity within neighborhoods. Actually, you would probably find more diverse neighborhoods in some of the suburbs; especially Henrietta and Brighton.
but are there city neighborhoods that are mostly one groups, but have at least a "good" amount of another group or two? I thought that the Monroe Ave. area was "diverse". Same with the area around East High.

As for the suburbs, I would add in parts of Chili, Gates, Greece and the eastern half of Irondequoit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 PM
 
5,843 posts, read 14,004,143 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It gets pretty mentally exhausting, trying to parse words for their actual meaning. "Diverse" is supposed to mean

Main Entry: di·verse
Pronunciation: \dī-ˈvərs, də-ˈ, ˈdī-ˌ\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English divers, diverse, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French divers, from Latin diversus, from past participle of divertere
Date: 14th century

1 : differing from one another : unlike <people with diverse interests>
2 : composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities <a diverse population> synonyms see different

Diverse doesn't mean black. It's extremely agitating to see posters trying to be PC by calling primarily [insert ethnicity here] neighborhoods "diverse." If it's primarily a black neighborhood, call it that. If it's a primarily Puerto Rican or other Latin Amercian ethnicity, call.it.that.

Diverse seems to have two meanings- either code for the non-white population or the actual meaning of being an area of DIFFERENT kinds of people. A black neighborhood isn't diverse. A white neighborhood isn't diverse. A suburban housing development or trailer park isn't diverse.

An area that you can't classify as "mostly... sort of people", because they're so varied- THAT is diversity.

A violent area that is primarily one race/ethnicity isn't "diverse", it's just violent.

A neighborhood of academics isn't diverse, though it *may* be welcoming to diversity.

Diversity is a *quality*, not code for racial tension. Please, don't abuse it. Besides being frustrating to those trying to understand the true meaning of the post, I'm sure it's confusing to outsiders. They have no idea where they should relocate because "diverse" could mean anything.
THANK YOU!! This drives me crazy too. Other examples, when I hear people say Detroit is one of the most diverse cities in America, my response is, the hell it is! And when I hear a non-white person tell me they are diverse, I can barely keep a straight face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 AM
 
6,196 posts, read 14,196,031 times
Reputation: 4483
According to City-data.com data, the racial makeup of Greece is as follows:


Races in Greece:
  • White Non-Hispanic (92.7%)
  • Black (2.5%)
  • Hispanic (2.4%)
  • Two or more races (0.9%)
  • Other race (0.7%)

I would not consider Greece "diverse."

There are a high number of people with Italian, German, and Irish ethnic backgrounds:
Ancestries: Italian (27.1%), German (26.4%), Irish (17.2%), English (11.1%), Polish (7.7%), French (3.8%).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Greece-New-York.html#ixzz0YGQVZ5qW




Last edited by lovebrentwood; 11-29-2009 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
 
56,243 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
According to City-data.com data, the racial makeup of Greece is as follows:



Races in Greece:
  • White Non-Hispanic (92.7%)
  • Black (2.5%)
  • Hispanic (2.4%)
  • Two or more races (0.9%)
  • Other race (0.7%)

I would not consider Greece "diverse."

There are a high number of people with Italian, German, and Irish ethnic backgrounds:
Ancestries: Italian (27.1%), German (26.4%), Irish (17.2%), English (11.1%), Polish (7.7%), French (3.8%).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Greece-New-York.html#ixzz0YGQVZ5qW


but are there areas of the town that are more so than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
 
56,243 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
THANK YOU!! This drives me crazy too. Other examples, when I hear people say Detroit is one of the most diverse cities in America, my response is, the hell it is! And when I hear a non-white person tell me they are diverse, I can barely keep a straight face.
Yeah, that is funny. Unless you are in Palmer Woods, SW Detroit, the Villages(Indian and Old English), the University District, Downtown or Warrendale(give a few more smaller neighborhoods), Detroit isn't the most diverse city. There are neighborhoods that are, but as a whole, not really. That's why I think it is better to think of "diversity" in smaller quantities like neighborhoods/sections and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,871,724 times
Reputation: 4238
Detroit is probably the LEAST diverse major city in America. Over 85% black. Is there any other city of that size with any one race/ethnicity that is THAT dominant? Diversity is pretty subjective. The city of Rochester's population overall is "diverse" in that it has a mix of people from different cultures/ethnicities; but most of them live in neighborhoods that are inhabited mostly by people of their same race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
 
56,243 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12403
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Detroit is probably the LEAST diverse major city in America. Over 85% black. Is there any other city of that size with any one race/ethnicity that is THAT dominant? Diversity is pretty subjective. The city of Rochester's population overall is "diverse" in that it has a mix of people from different cultures/ethnicities; but most of them live in neighborhoods that are inhabited mostly by people of their same race.
Some are close like Salt Lake City and Portland that are about the same percentage White as Detroit is Black.

I'd also say that "diversity" or pluralism is relative to where you are as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
 
56,243 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12403
Here's some Rochester neighborhoods with the racial demographic breakdown of each: High Falls neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Sector 8 neighborhood in Rochester, NY

South Marketview Heights neighborhood in Rochester, NY

North Marketview Heights neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Sector 10 neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Upper Falls neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Corn Hill neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Ellwanger Barry neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Southwest Quadrant neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Northwest Quadrant neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Northeast Quadrant neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Southeast Quadrant neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Alexander (Monroe) neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Grove Place neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Manhattan Square (Manhattan Sq) neighborhood in Rochester, NY

East End (Upper East End) neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Main and Clinton neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Saint Paul Quarter (St. Paul Quarter) neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Cascade District neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Washington Square neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Convention District neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Saint Joseph's Park (St. Joseph's Park) neighborhood in Rochester, NY

Four Corners neighborhood in Rochester, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top