Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:07 PM

31 posts, read 56,131 times

Advertisements

Hi zooando,
We've narrowed our search down to Hilton, Webster, and the Fairport/Perinton area. My wife is actually the one with the job transfer, i'm in auto sales and it doesn't matter where you go in this country you NEVER hear of an unemployed car salesman. We will actually be up this weekend and hope to find a house and put in an offer. On a side note if anyone knows where to get really good bbq PLEASE let me know. I'm avid bbqer and love my sidesmoker. What is the Strong Museum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,576,422 times
Dinosaur and sticky lips I prefer sticky lips!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,980,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Dinosaur and sticky lips I prefer sticky lips!
Both are a tossup. I like some of the different sauces at Sticky lips, and they do better catering. Many of their sandwiches, burgers and pulled meat are excellent. Parking is easy, there is a big lot out back.

Dino has good plates, beef briscuit, cornbread, ribs, all excellent. Dino also has a much better bar. Parking is a little more difficult, especially if there is an event at the Blue Cross arena, you can usually park under one of the towers if you have to.

Both places are packed, so make sure you show up early. I would recommend trying both!

There is also Taste of Texas, the Anchor Bar, Nolas, and Jeremiahs for wings and good BBQ.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM

76 posts, read 168,568 times
Good luck with your house hunt when you're up here this weekend. I see that you've already had a few suggestions for good BBQ, and I have to agree with others that Sticky Lips and Dinosaur are great restaurants for BBQ. You can also purchase their sauces directly from their restaurant or in the grocery store.

Strong Museum is a museum for kids, where they can get their hands right on the exhibits. You can see more at their website -- Strong National Museum of Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenj View Post
Hi zooando,
We've narrowed our search down to Hilton, Webster, and the Fairport/Perinton area. My wife is actually the one with the job transfer, i'm in auto sales and it doesn't matter where you go in this country you NEVER hear of an unemployed car salesman. We will actually be up this weekend and hope to find a house and put in an offer. On a side note if anyone knows where to get really good bbq PLEASE let me know. I'm avid bbqer and love my sidesmoker. What is the Strong Museum?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone!!!! We were up there this weekend and narrowed our search down to two houses. One is in Hilton the other is in Greece but with Hilton Schools. I'm still in shock at what you get for your money. Put an offer in on the Greece house and we are keeping our fingers crossed!!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

By the way does anyone know the average cost of a new roof? The Hilton house has a 22yr old roof that they have already had to make some repairs to which is why we steered away from it at the last minute.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM

1,865 posts, read 3,415,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenj View Post
By the way does anyone know the average cost of a new roof? The Hilton house has a 22yr old roof that they have already had to make some repairs to which is why we steered away from it at the last minute.
Very expensive, even for a plain ranch style house. Is the roof fairly elaborate?

Even a simple ranch can cost $5K, and that's taking it down to the plywood (doing it right). I'd be wary of "repairs", unless a home inspector can confirm the plywood and trusses are OK.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 AM

60 posts, read 46,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkgirl585 View Post
You know what pa29? The answer is very simple. If you dont like it here dont ever come back. We dont need or want anyone here that doesn't love and support our city. Just because ROC doesn't live up to YOUR expectations doesn't mean you have to be arrogant and condescending. You sound like you belong in West Hollywood or San Francisco.

Sounds like you have a case of "look the other way... everything is just fine homerism"

The OP does make some good points. Rochester is boring and I think very narrow minded and parochial. The city does nothing to attract new business, forward thinking people or tourists. There are a large number of people that continue to live in the past up there.

There is not much tolerance for gays (which I believe the OP is?) like in many other large cities. There also seems to be racial tension as well.

I don't hate the place but it seems as though it needs an infusion of fresh ideas.... idealistic people and educated people

The unemployment rate is not bad.... but you have to consider that no one is moving there from other cities or countries. It does not mean that new GOOD jobs are being created (no, Walmart and Wegmans do not qualify as "good" jobs)

Wake up Rochester

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,684,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post
Sounds like you have a case of "look the other way... everything is just fine homerism"

The OP does make some good points. Rochester is boring and I think very narrow minded and parochial. The city does nothing to attract new business, forward thinking people or tourists. There are a large number of people that continue to live in the past up there.

There is not much tolerance for gays (which I believe the OP is?) like in many other large cities. There also seems to be racial tension as well.

I don't hate the place but it seems as though it needs an infusion of fresh ideas.... idealistic people and educated people

The unemployment rate is not bad.... but you have to consider that no one is moving there from other cities or countries. It does not mean that new GOOD jobs are being created (no, Walmart and Wegmans do not qualify as "good" jobs)

Wake up Rochester
If you think the area is boring, you must have made no attempt to find things to do. I can find something going on any night of the week(comparing the area to other mid sized cities of course).
If you think the area does nothing to attract tourists, you must have not been paying attention for the past 10 years. The jazz fest has been growing each year since its inception. PGA and LPGA golf tournaments have been attracting people. The many festivals attract out of towners. Compare this to 10 years ago and there is a difference in the amount of tourists and money spend in the area. The D&C has ran articles showing the growth in tourist money spent here the past few years. The later half of the 2000s saw a decent amount of growth. Is this area a tourist destination? No. Has the area been working on attracting tourists over the past year years? Yes.
Over the past few years, downtown has attracted several new businesses. As many as cities out of state? No. We can no attract large amounts of new companies due to state issues. It has nothing to do with the city itself. We are burdened with high taxes and anal regulations that keep business away thanks to our corrupt state government.
Nobody is moving here from out of sate or country? You need to get out more if you think this is true. For an area that has a shoddy economy, there are a good amount of people not born here, who live here. Not as much as other cities but there are still plenty. At least in the medical, engineering and IT fields.
The area has done a good amount over the past few years to better itself considering it has remained economically stagnant

Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM

Actual Abbie your wrong!!! My wife and I are moving to Rochester from Northern New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area