U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM

266 posts, read 1,098,510 times

Advertisements

yeah, it is a shame that they always want to drown out anything good. There are definitely negative things that pushed us to make the move away from Lancaster County, but when I look back I will have a good feeling from all the positives we experienced - regardless of the negatives. I guess there is some truth to the expression "blossom where you are planted" (lol not sure if that is the exact wording, but you get my drift. I can't see that some of the negative posters could be happy elsewhere either - there is absolutely no way they aren't going to encounter negatives.

And, believe it or not, I'm not even generally an "optimist"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 04:54 PM

254 posts, read 962,705 times
Hey Kitty I forgot to post this but is a place that I love to go to every time I visit...it is GORGEOUS! I'm going to bring the girls for one of their children's days. It is about 35 min from rochester on the west side but well worth the trip

http://hurdorchards.com/

Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 AM

41 posts, read 127,903 times
Default Rochester has its upside

The crime in Rochester is isolated to a few bad areas as stated. It isn't all bad though...I bought some guns out of the back of a buick last summer, got a great deal. And on another note, Rochester has the often imitated never duplicated Garbage Plate. Yummy

Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 AM

7 posts, read 29,271 times
Talking Rochester

"I'm scared! Any POSITIVE comments would be helpful, particularly if you have been in the same situation - moving from somewhere quite different! Remind me why, again, of the positive reasons to move to the Rochester area!! PLEASE !"

Upstate NY for me is Jefferson County and on up. That 's was were I was raised.
Rochester is more Western NY. I had lived in the Sodus Point area, which I could travel 104 route to Rochester, and it took 50 mins. I lived there 5 yrs. and we went in to Rochester to shop , eat, and movies. Webster is a sub of Rochester, and I have one High School girl friend 20+ years ago, that loves Webster.

We now have moved one year ago to Stanley NY. (Near Geneva) We are 10 mins. from two Finger Lakes on Route 5 and 20.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 AM

17 posts, read 88,967 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not overly familiar with the Rochester area, but we own a weekend home in Medina, NY, which is half way between Rochester and Niagara Falls, and the weather is similar. Fruit tree blossoms aren't out yet, but it's just a matter of a week or two. Most trees are budding, ready to pop. Tulips, daffies, hyacinths and other spring bulbs are in full bloom right now - lovely. Everything is green, and spring is definitely in the air. Garden centres are open and stocking up. Many people are already out puttering in their gardens, getting ready for planting.

I cant believe that you actually know where that is.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM

276 posts, read 1,028,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
You are so lucky to be able to move there..I'm completely jealous!! My and my husbands whole family lives there..we are in Charlotte and moving to Atlanta soon..blech..want to trade Plus your kids are such a great age to go exploring and have fun day trips and activities!! (mine are 6, 2 and 2 months) In the summer there are many festivals!! I love Park Ave and Corn Hill fest..plus there is one at Charlotte by the lake. Have a picnic on the grounds of RMSC (rochester museum and science center) they have great gardens..perfect for a blanket and some lunch There is just so much to do there with kids It is just nerves with moving..you are going to LOVE it there I promise!!!!!
I know this is way to late for a post but I just wanted to share...I too love Charlotte and its pier...Great place...lived in Rochester(outside of city and in) years ago...I remember the first time I was there(a kid of 16) and was puzzled why the water wasnt going in or out at high or low tide...my friend thought I was NUTS...lol hey I was a city girl from Boston living in the WNY sticks lol...I was used to the Atlantic Ocean not Lake Ontario..It was beautiful though just took getting used to...Just thought I would share...Do you still live there? I still have family in Bloomfield, Rochester and Lima oh and Avon and Sarasota...Will be there this summer(whenever that is in WNY lol) I hope to visit again..Its been 10 yrs since I have been "home"...Take Care...Lisa

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 PM

276 posts, read 1,028,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debhop View Post
"I'm scared! Any POSITIVE comments would be helpful, particularly if you have been in the same situation - moving from somewhere quite different! Remind me why, again, of the positive reasons to move to the Rochester area!! PLEASE !"

Upstate NY for me is Jefferson County and on up. That 's was were I was raised.
Rochester is more Western NY. I had lived in the Sodus Point area, which I could travel 104 route to Rochester, and it took 50 mins. I lived there 5 yrs. and we went in to Rochester to shop , eat, and movies. Webster is a sub of Rochester, and I have one High School girl friend 20+ years ago, that loves Webster.

We now have moved one year ago to Stanley NY. (Near Geneva) We are 10 mins. from two Finger Lakes on Route 5 and 20.
Webster in great...Try looking into Geneseo and Avon(my fav) if you are still searching Rochester and suburbs...I lived in the city as well as Avon in the 80s and although its a bit more lively it is still a small town with a nice home town feel...Nice place to call home and very friendly and family orientated..I would love to raise my kids in a town like that but here in GA...Anyone know nice small towns in suburbs of Atl say 30 miles either way?
Take Care
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or