Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times

Advertisements

I always hear people say that Rochester is bad but how bad is it. When I saw bad, are we talking about Newark, New Jersey bad or Detroit bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Its not that bad. It has most of the same problems it shares with upstate NY. For an upstate city it does have the best economy, Rochester has done better for longer because of the optical business it has. There are a good amount of things to do here. I wanted to come back to upstate NY (grew up in Buffalo), Rochester had the best job market. There seems to have been a good amount of more recent construction, so coming from Buffalo, the city looks alot newer. The cost of living is low, but that is relative to the job you have. Traffic is a breeze, but public transportation really lacks in alot of areas.

The problems it has are the governments, unions and local interest groups that really hold back expansion. NY has many layers of government that really need to be consolidated, most of the politics work well for NYC, but not the rest of the state. That by itself is a never ending topic. Taxes, are very high, which is tied in with the what I just said. The only thing that offsets taxes for most people are the cheap housing and renting cost. Taxes have had a huge impact on new business up here. The city has gone through industrial decline over the past 50 years, which most rust belt cities have had. Rochester has been lucky because of the optical business it has. Although it has declined, it has fared much better than most of the other industry in the area. People complain about the weather also, which is a matter of preference.

Overall, I like it. I do think that there are better places to live. But I am satisfied. Coming from NC, I get paid more and the cost of living is less, so for my wife and I it worked out ok. I like the big city feel, so I wish Rochester had more of that. But with the job and the family close by, I am not complaining much.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
When you mention Newark and Detroit, I'm assuming your are talking about crime? Not even close. People like to blow things out of proportion. Even Newark isn't that bad anymore compared to 10 years ago.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
I dont think crime can compare to any large city ( I know some will argue this but really its low here compared to the op's questions) I think the problem it with the people of the area's lack of willing to change to the economical changes to the region and country ie; Kodak with the digital for one good example. With that said they still wont change.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Check crime maps to see how bad the crime is. Or Google "crime comparison by city" and see how it compares. Seems bad to me. Lots of shootings and stabbings inside the city near downtown. I'd also be afraid of the area along the Keeler Expressway, where there are a lot of cars stolen and thefts from inside cars.

It's worse than Raleigh, NC.

I checked the comparisons -- Rochester has the same rate of property crime as Newark, NJ, and Newark has a slightly higher rate of violent crime.

The rest of the Rochester area is wonderful -- the suburbs and the entire Finger Lakes area. Beautiful waterways and fun festivals. Great people. Good restaurants. Good shopping. Incredible museums. I loved growing up there and spending half my adult life there.

Kodak is all but dead and has been that way for a very long time. I worked there 7 years decades ago (my first job) and went back recently and saw the offices downtown where I worked. Kodak used to be the top place to work. It looked so old, dark, and dreary -- and empty.

The Rochester economy still seems to be chugging along, though.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-19-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Check crime maps to see how bad the crime is. Or Google "crime comparison by city" and see how it compares. Seems bad to me. Lots of shootings and stabbings inside the city near downtown. I'd also be afraid of the area along the Keeler Expressway, where there are a lot of cars stolen and thefts from inside cars.

It's worse than Raleigh, NC.

I checked the comparisons -- Rochester has the same rate of property crime as Newark, NJ, and Newark has a slightly higher rate of violent crime.

The rest of the Rochester area is wonderful -- the suburbs and the entire Finger Lakes area. Beautiful waterways and fun festivals. Great people. Good restaurants. Good shopping. Incredible museums. I loved growing up there and spending half my adult life there.

Kodak is all but dead and has been that way for a very long time. I worked there 7 years decades ago (my first job) and went back recently and saw the offices downtown where I worked. Kodak used to be the top place to work. It looked so old, dark, and dreary -- and empty.

The Rochester economy still seems to be chugging along, though.
You have to keep in mind that Raleigh has grown so fast that a lot of it is really more suburban in character, whereas Rochester has boundaries that have pretty much been the same for a long time.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You have to keep in mind that Raleigh has grown so fast that a lot of it is really more suburban in character, whereas Rochester has boundaries that have pretty much been the same for a long time.
I wonder how that is going to work with them. One would think at some point in time the suburbs like Cary, Wake Forest and Apex would eventually just become neighborhoods through consolidation. Rochester/Buffalo went through the same thing, I know Charlotte was its own city at one time, so was Blackrock in Buffalo.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:23 AM

116 posts, read 622,223 times
How bad do they say it is? My impressions of the city core are pretty much all negative. I stick in the suburbs and really love it here. The weather (yes, really), traffic, home prices, scenery, it all is very nice.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM

12 posts, read 73,879 times
The City of Rochester is very rough in places, but even in those places, if you mind your own business and stay away from dangerous situations, it's not "bad". If you put yourself in risky positions, or look for problems and "bad" stuff, you will surely find it. The city "core" inside the inner loop is IMO one of the safest areas of Rochester. I've lived in various areas of Rochester for years and never once had a problem. I used to deliver pizza in the 19th Ward and never had a problem. I have walked home by myself many times at 2 or 3 am and never once have I had a problem.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,603 times
If you are a dealer, go looking to buy crack at midnight, or wander around at night in about 17 blocks of the city they call the crescent, you will have problems. Otherwise, you will be as safe as anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area