U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 PM
 
531 posts, read 975,267 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

Rochester can be just as dangerous--and safe--as any place in America. Like many cities, having common sense and a general understanding of the area is virtually all you need to avoid becoming a victim. However, while most cities have 'good areas' and 'bad areas', the difference between these neighborhoods is more pronounced in Rochester than in any other city I've ever been to; furthermore, these areas are relatively close together--sometimes just a street or two apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 AM
 
5 posts, read 7,414 times
Reputation: 12
I assume you're referring just to crime, and especially violent crime. There's now lots and lots of violent crime--I believe it now leads all of NY state in murders per capita--but almost all occur in the poorest areas of the city and the majority of the violent crimes are related to drugs and/or feuds among people who live in the poorest areas.

The city itself seemed to be rapidly developing the gangster attitude of "fight to the death over the smallest perceived insult." The suburbs and remaining affluent areas of the city are obviously different, though they tend to have other attitudes that can be irritating, depending on your values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 12:36 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,878 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
I always hear people say that Rochester is bad but how bad is it. When I saw bad, are we talking about Newark, New Jersey bad or Detroit bad?
Sorry to revive a thread a couple of months old, but seeing as how its only on the second or third page back...

I have never been or lived in Detroit so I can not compare Rochester to Detroit. On the other hand I have lived and frequented Newark, NJ. I have lived there in 2002, when another poster stated ten years ago it was bad. With any city there are bad areas and good areas. Usually if you do not look for trouble, mind your own business and such you will be fine. I have never been in any trouble in Newark for the years I have lived there and also the time I have not lived there.

Fast forward, I moved to Rochester in June of 2010. We live near the browncroft section. I have had items stolen off of my front porch (UPS/Fedex), and then off the side door when we started asking them to move the items back. I was mugged and beaten about two weeks ago, with a shotgun pointed at my face about two blocks away from my home, for twenty dollars, my eye-glasses and a 5 year old cell phone. I have seen homeless black people go through my garbage on the side of my house for cans and bottles. When I buy groceries, the person in front of me is buying steak, shrimp, cigerettes, and alcohol, on food stamps while I can not even afford those items. Later they are packing their items into an Escalade with outrageous sized shiny rims and a huge stereo blasting rap music across the lot. That is a frequent occurrence.

This city is a dump, which is a shame, because there is such a great potential. There are plenty of parks, outdoors, and things to do. There is almost everything that there is in NYC here. Sports events, concerts, culture... the possibilities are endless. Something needs to be done to stop these free loaders (black, white, hispanic, it is everyone not just the blacks, the escalade example from above were actually white people) and get them out or working. I'm sick of paying for them to sit outside, drinking beers, smoking whatever they smoke and hanging around all day, thinking of a way to scam more money from the system, while I work my a$$ off to get what I need. (There are plenty of jobs available, people need to look for them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 01:39 PM
 
56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Reputation: 12407
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfrresh View Post
Sorry to revive a thread a couple of months old, but seeing as how its only on the second or third page back...

I have never been or lived in Detroit so I can not compare Rochester to Detroit. On the other hand I have lived and frequented Newark, NJ. I have lived there in 2002, when another poster stated ten years ago it was bad. With any city there are bad areas and good areas. Usually if you do not look for trouble, mind your own business and such you will be fine. I have never been in any trouble in Newark for the years I have lived there and also the time I have not lived there.

Fast forward, I moved to Rochester in June of 2010. We live near the browncroft section. I have had items stolen off of my front porch (UPS/Fedex), and then off the side door when we started asking them to move the items back. I was mugged and beaten about two weeks ago, with a shotgun pointed at my face about two blocks away from my home, for twenty dollars, my eye-glasses and a 5 year old cell phone. I have seen homeless black people go through my garbage on the side of my house for cans and bottles. When I buy groceries, the person in front of me is buying steak, shrimp, cigerettes, and alcohol, on food stamps while I can not even afford those items. Later they are packing their items into an Escalade with outrageous sized shiny rims and a huge stereo blasting rap music across the lot. That is a frequent occurrence.

This city is a dump, which is a shame, because there is such a great potential. There are plenty of parks, outdoors, and things to do. There is almost everything that there is in NYC here. Sports events, concerts, culture... the possibilities are endless. Something needs to be done to stop these free loaders (black, white, hispanic, it is everyone not just the blacks, the escalade example from above were actually white people) and get them out or working. I'm sick of paying for them to sit outside, drinking beers, smoking whatever they smoke and hanging around all day, thinking of a way to scam more money from the system, while I work my a$$ off to get what I need. (There are plenty of jobs available, people need to look for them)
Unfortunately, you have such people in just about every city. I don't think Rochester is exclusive in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:30 PM
 
531 posts, read 975,267 times
Reputation: 274
yeah, I was just going to say that all the ***** you just complained about happens in EVERY city. Are you trying to tell me that these unfortunate realities don't occur in Newark just as much--or more--than they do in Rochester? If you are, I can give you crime statistics (specifically, the crimes you've alluded to) to disprove the first part of your claim, and I can give you anecdotal evidence to disprove the second part re: welfare abuse.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience here, and honestly, I'm quite surprised to hear that all these things have happened to you in the Browncroft area. I know many, many, many, people who live over there and have had virtually none of these problems (I mean, I'm sure homeless people have gone through their garbage and ***** before, but whatever). But as far as the violent crimes you've mentioned, I honestly find it hard to believe that these kind of things happened to a person acting prudently in that area of the city. I am not saying you're lying, I just wonder if there's more to the story? Maybe I'm thinking of a different area, but when I think of 'Browncroft', the neighborhood that comes to mind is extremely safe (especially in terms of violent crime); as far as a property crime is concerned, all I can say is be more careful next time, there's a lot of poverty in this city so if you leave something out, odds are someones going to take it, but this is the case in almost every city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times
Reputation: 4238
Browncroft? I think they must be talking about a different neighborhood or something. If this person were talking about 14621 around Clifford Ave or something, I would find their stories a little more believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 PM
 
531 posts, read 975,267 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Browncroft? I think they must be talking about a different neighborhood or something. If this person were talking about 14621 around Clifford Ave or something, I would find their stories a little more believable.

Lmao, my previous post was basically an attempt at euphemistically saying exactly what you just said; I didn't wanna seem insensitive to this guys' unfortunate situation, in case it is in fact legitimate. However, now that you've broke the ice, I'm gonna go ahead and stop beating around the bush:

popnfrresh-- you're either mistaking your neighborhoods or flat-out lying. If someone 'pulled a shotgun on you' and 'mugged and beat you' around the Browncroft neighborhood, it would literally be all over the news. If any type of violent crimes occur outside of the cities 'danger zones' the media literally has a field day with it and will proceed to cover the story ad nauseum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,878 times
Reputation: 12
5ive8ight5ive -- No need to be a D!CK. Just to clarify ( Rochester, NY Neighborhoods - Google Maps ) .I live 6 blocks from the section and I was mugged 8 blocks away from browncroft section highlighted, with a shotgun, as I was walking home at night. Maybe in your eyes I was looking for trouble or selling drugs? Maybe next time I can act more 'prudently' when I walk home. Maybe your confused about how the news works? I didn't see anything about it on print or video. I guess they won't cover it 'ad nauseum'.

Maybe in the future you need to READ A LITTLE CLOSER.

I have never encountered anything like this in ANY other city I have lived in. I have never seen the poor people walk around all day long, wandering around the poor areas drinking and smoking. I have never been in a wegmans or other grocery store and had someone pay in food stamps and then roll into an escalade...

In case you didn't read the next part closely, ill copy and paste it here for you. Notice I said they were parcels left from the mail... Not my 'personal items'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfrresh
I have had items stolen off of my front porch (UPS/Fedex), and then off the side door when we started asking them to move the items back
Why don't we meet up, you can see my bruised face and ill make a copy of the police report for you and bring the original. Then maybe we can 'stop beating around the bush'. But then again, I am 'flat out lying' or 'mistaking the neighborhoods'. I can do the single quotation thing too...D!CK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 AM
 
531 posts, read 975,267 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfrresh View Post
5ive8ight5ive -- No need to be a D!CK. Just to clarify ( Rochester, NY Neighborhoods - Google Maps ) .I live 6 blocks from the section and I was mugged 8 blocks away from browncroft section highlighted, with a shotgun, as I was walking home at night. Maybe in your eyes I was looking for trouble or selling drugs? Maybe next time I can act more 'prudently' when I walk home. Maybe your confused about how the news works? I didn't see anything about it on print or video. I guess they won't cover it 'ad nauseum'.

Maybe in the future you need to READ A LITTLE CLOSER.

I have never encountered anything like this in ANY other city I have lived in. I have never seen the poor people walk around all day long, wandering around the poor areas drinking and smoking. I have never been in a wegmans or other grocery store and had someone pay in food stamps and then roll into an escalade...

In case you didn't read the next part closely, ill copy and paste it here for you. Notice I said they were parcels left from the mail... Not my 'personal items'.


Why don't we meet up, you can see my bruised face and ill make a copy of the police report for you and bring the original. Then maybe we can 'stop beating around the bush'. But then again, I am 'flat out lying' or 'mistaking the neighborhoods'. I can do the single quotation thing too...D!CK.
AHAHAHA Rochester is the only place that has areas where you've seen poor people walk around all day wandering/drinking/smoking? You've never seen anything like that in NEWARK?! LOL just stop. this can be seen in every city in America.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 11-07-2010 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 AM
 
531 posts, read 975,267 times
Reputation: 274
I wonder why I haven't heard about the notorious "eye-glasses bandit" that's been on the loose in mean streets of the browncroft area in Rochester.

On a serious note, if what you're saying is true then that sucks. But the fact of the matter is that your experience WOULD BE more of an exception than the rule (for those living in that particular area). You've lived here for about a year, so don't make such broad indictments against an entire city based on your personal misfortunes. Especially when people who have lived here for their entire lives are saying that this type of activity is suspiciously unusual for the area you've described. Add to this the fact that there's seemingly no news account of it and it shouldn't be surprising that some of us would express doubts regarding the legitimacy of your story.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 11-07-2010 at 01:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top