U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,435,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Please read my post (or any others for that matter) prior to criticizing it.

I did not say that the ones you listed were BAD school districts, what I did was list the ones I felt were the better public schools in Wayne County. I have no idea where you get this "abstinence-only" quote from either, except to believe that you are implying we are too Christian in this area.

I have no use for offensive, unhelpful posts that serve no purpose other than to incite an argument.
From one of my Clyde-native friends who had like 10 pregnant girls in her graduating class.

I AGREE that "Wayne County is for hicks" is such an exaggeration but Monroe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Wayne by FAR. In healthcare, transportation, education, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:59 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,435,972 times
Quote:
One more thing about the schools, again referencing what I actually stated and not what is being inferred.

I would not send a child to public school these days, period. That is not to say one in Monroe is worse than one in Wayne. Some are and some are not. What that MEANS is what it SAYS!
And I think, unless there's a religious reason, there is no reason to NOT send a kid to public schools in Monroe County. The public schools here are often considered the best in the state/nation.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,766,793 times
Alright I think we can all agree that fighting isn't going to help anyone on this thread....just turn them off to reading it.... So that said- everyone has their own opinions and that is what CD is all about and the reason readers come to find out a variety of opinions and information... can we try and relax and move on? Just remember it is ALL about opinions- and we don't all have to agree but we can be civil.

That said.... you can have the benifit of both rural and suburban life. You can buy a home on the edge of Monroe County where you sit inside Wayne but go to school in Monroe. This would put you in Penfield/Walworth and I believe Ontorio/Webster. I am unsure if Macedon/Fairport do the same thing. There are a wide variety of homes, on the lower end of the price line in Walworth/Gananda area and you would pay Penfield School taxes as well as some taxes for Wayne County. You would be a 315er but really only as far as your phone line takes you as you would do everything in Monroe County anyway. The homes are cheaper and you are able to enjoy the country feel if that is what you are looking for. You are only 15-20 minutes away from downtown and 35 to the opposite side of the county as you aren't far from 490 or 104.

If you want to do a property search for such homes go to Nothnagle.com and search by Wayne Co and then hit PENFIELD CSD in the school search... you can do the same with Fairport schools and Webster Schools. This will pull up any homes in Wayne Co that will go to schools in Monroe...

Now, having taught in Wayne County I can tell you Gananda and Pal-Mac are some of the best schools and very competetive with Monroe County schools (if not better than some). If I were going to live in Wayne County, send my children to school in Wayne County... I would aim for those particular school districts.

Good Luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 80,273 times
As some have stated, the big difference really is suburban vs. rural. If you know what kind of person you are, it's a very simple choice (imo). Wayne County is very rural.. farms, long streets that don't go anywhere (without street lights btw... not fun), not really much to do. Monroe's got everything. Better schools = Monroe. Low crime = Wayne. Jobs = Monroe. Healthcare...ee.. not really sure. Insurance will be the same both places. Regular doctors' offices will be more spread out in Wayne, but I grew up there, went mostly to doctors in Monroe just because they had more, but unless you're going to the doctor once a week, it wouldn't be a problem. As for hospitals, Monroe has some good ones, I think Wayne County only has one in Newark (anyone? Might be more..). It'll take a half hour (ish) to get to a Monroe ER from Wayne.

As far as schools go, I would narrow down your towns/neighborhoods and then look them up (or repost) individually. There are some really awesome schools in Monroe, but of course.. you do pay for that.

And taxes... still Wayne, as it is usually with rural vs. suburban debates.

If you're the kind of person who likes to take a walk outside and go to a coffee shop (or... anything really), go for Monroe. If you're cool with maybe driving the half hour into Monroe on weekends or whatever, Wayne wouldn't be bad.

Basically - if you want space and/or quiet, can entertain yourself, and don't mind driving into Monroe for a mall, concerts, random fun city things.. then you can do Wayne... Otherwise... Monroe.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 PM

99 posts, read 258,587 times
I get the feeling that some of Wayne County's attractions are being overlooked here. Yes, we drive to the mall when we need to, generally that mall is East View in Victor, the outlet in Junius or the new plazas along Ridge Road in Webster, a far cry from metro Rochester. Head east and you can shop at the Great Northern and have a completely different view on the way there.

We have a ski slope in Wayne County, is there one in Monroe? Not to mention some great rural recreation in several bays and marinas along Lake Ontario. We have some fantastic libraries, a wonderful theater with live plays in Pultneyville, sportsman's clubs and on and on. Rural life is a bit different, as stated, it depends upon your lifestyle requirements.

I like not living in a fishbowl, some love it. From spring to fall, I spend my days outdoors tending my property. I don't really need someone to entertain me, but that is me. There is something about owning acres of property and not seeing a house behind you, just turkey, deer and scores of other creatures.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,766,793 times
Quote:
I get the feeling that some of Wayne County's attractions are being overlooked here. Yes, we drive to the mall when we need to, generally that mall is East View in Victor, the outlet in Junius or the new plazas along Ridge Road in Webster, a far cry from metro Rochester. Head east and you can shop at the Great Northern and have a completely different view on the way there.

We have a ski slope in Wayne County, is there one in Monroe? Not to mention some great rural recreation in several bays and marinas along Lake Ontario. We have some fantastic libraries, a wonderful theater with live plays in Pultneyville, sportsman's clubs and on and on. Rural life is a bit different, as stated, it depends upon your lifestyle requirements.

I like not living in a fishbowl, some love it. From spring to fall, I spend my days outdoors tending my property. I don't really need someone to entertain me, but that is me. There is something about owning acres of property and not seeing a house behind you, just turkey, deer and scores of other creatures.
This is a very nice viewpt on Wayne County...honest and offers a lot of information... but I would also like to add that you do not have to live on acres and acres of land in a house set by itself if you choose to live in Wayne County. Wayne County actually has develpments in it YES... and some very nice neighborhoods at that..... New homes that are stunning and full of the modern amenities, old homes with all of their charm in the villages, middle aged homes in middle aged neighborhoods and are turning over to the new beginner home buyers.... and the prices are set fairly in a lot of areas... so all I am saying is it can meet the needs of a lot of people.... you get the benifit of a neighborhood and the benifit of country living.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 AM

56,059 posts, read 80,134,238 times
Quote:

Don't forget Fingerlakes Mall and the shopping on Grant Ave. in Auburn too. There are plenty of plazas along Route 31 near Great Northern Mall in Clay too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area