U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:44 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,459,581 times
Default Grandma Brown's Baked Beans

I guess this isn't necessarily a Rochester topic since they're available throughout Upstate New York and nowhere else (they are made in Mexico, NY in the North Country.)

But anyway, I was invited to a Thanksgiving Pot Luck tonight and made them. They were SUCH a hit... there were a lot of people who had never had them before. Which is odd to me because they're a Thanksgiving staple in my family (I'm Irish-Italian... they are a staple on the Irish side.)

If you've never had them I encourage you to incorporate them into your Thanksgiving meal since I got a great reception tonight. Recipe:

1 2-lb. can of Grandma Brown's Baked Beans (available at Wegmans)
1 package of bacon
1 Onion
Ketchup & Mustard

Sautee half the onion with 5 strips of bacon (cut before hand ultra fine).
Put the beans in a casserole. Mix 2 tbls. of ketchup and 1 tbls. of mustard in.
Add the bacon & onion mixture.
Stir everything together.
Top the mixture with uncooked bacon (as many pieces as will fit in your casserole. It was 5 with me)
Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 02:28 AM

Forgot to mention, when you sautee the onion and bacon, you wanna dump the grease. Do not mix the grease in.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:16 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,707,538 times
LOL... funny you say they are a Turkey Day Staple.... in our Irish Fam they are as well! LOL... I never realized they were made in NY!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 AM

I knew they were made in NY just because I have family other places that always comments how good they are, where can they buy them? And my dad is in the grocery biz and always says they're available in Upstate NY only.

It's funny. Every Sunday I am Italian. Easter and Christmas I am definitely Italian. On Thanksgiving and St. Patty's only do I consider myself Irish LOL.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,707,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I knew they were made in NY just because I have family other places that always comments how good they are, where can they buy them? And my dad is in the grocery biz and always says they're available in Upstate NY only.

It's funny. Every Sunday I am Italian. Easter and Christmas I am definitely Italian. On Thanksgiving and St. Patty's only do I consider myself Irish LOL.
LOL... my children are "GARLIC and GAELIC"... but my oldest says SHE is Irish and the YOUNGEST is Italian! but we are 50/50 here with the celebrations... Irish Christmas Eve (but even us Irish bring in Savoia's for dessert!-introduced by my Italian Hubby)- Italian on Christmas Day.... Irish Easter Dinner but Italian Easter Morning.... LOL.... we really do share. Hubby was shocked the first time he came to Turkey Dinner at my Irish Fam and there was no pasta! LOL....

Now I have posted in other state forums and they have said they do not feel drawn to any one nationality over another.... They say they are JUST American.... Got me to thinking about if it was ONLY a NY/New England thing or not

I know us folks from the Roc do tend to say I'M IRISH/ I'M ITALIAN/ I'M POLISH.... My Irish Grandma.... My Italian Aunt.... and I have to say- I like that! I also like knowing where the recipes/stories/background came from.... the history behind the food and traditions. I think it is a nice part of being from Rochester/the North East.... we really care about tradition....

Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 AM

101 posts, read 197,354 times
I love Grandma Brown's baked beans, and I'm not even very much of a fan of baked beans. I love them with just a sprinkle of brown sugar on top and baked for about 15 minutes. Mmmmmm. Can't find anything like them here in North Carolina, that's for sure.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM

131 posts, read 528,655 times
I grew up near NYC and had never heard of Grandma Brown's until I married my husband, who grew up in Horseheads (near Elmira.) We used to pick them up when we were visiting his family and take them back down to Westchester with us. Now we live in Rochester and I just made them the other day! They are really good. I mix them with mustard, molasses, brown sugar and some cut-up hot dogs, but his Mom always made them with bacon. I'm going to try your recipe as my dh loves onions--he'd probably love this version. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:32 AM

6,061 posts, read 8,874,998 times
I grew up in Rochester (and now live in Raleigh, NC), and Grandma Brown's baked beans were a staple for summer picnics (never Thanksgiving) in Rochester.

The only way to make them was to dump the big can into a 9 x 12 pan, mix in about 3/4 cup of brown sugar, mix, and place a few bacon strips on top (no more than about 5), and bake. (Ketchup and mustard? No!)

My Southern husband tried them (when I had a friend bring down several cans), and he LOVES them.

I think I read somewhere they were available here in NC. I didn't check it out. Yet.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:21 PM

150 posts, read 267,559 times
I grew up in Rochester also and we usually had the baked beans during BBQs. They were so good but I haven't found them in any grocery store in our new state.

Recently I found a boston baked beans recipe in my old betty crocker cookbook and since I had all the ingredients on hand, I gave it a shot. They can take some time to do but the taste is well worth it--very close to Grandma Brown's . I brought some over for Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's and they loved it.

I used diced smoked turkey leg meat instead of the bacon. I will do the recipe again and will triple it to have extra in the freezer. Navy beans are very inexpensive too. I like Grandma's but this will work for us.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 7,058 times
When there is a Wegmans, they sell Grandma Browns Baked Beans But if people are not from CNY, people usually never hear of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area