Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 28,475 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job working for Harris in Rochester and I was wondering where people would recommend I try and live. I would like to live in an area that would likely have other young professionals and near some night-life options (preferably within walking distance). Other things I wouldn't mind being near include a gym and/or outdoor track, but my main concern is being near something that will encourage me to go out and be social and hopefully meet some new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,167 times
Park Ave area.... You can walk to everything and it is near night life... there is a gym on East Ave nearby... That is where most of the young people are....

Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Park ave. You are near Harris. You are near downtown for nightlife. There is a gym right by Harris, across the street from the Wegmans. I think it's a world gym.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,232 times
Unfortunately there are very few safe areas that are near nightlife in Rochester, your best bet would be the "Best Neighborhood" area, it's right by Harris RF, fairly close to nightlife and has a few gyms nearby. For a decent map of where you might consider living, check out: Safe Rochester Neighborhoods - Google Maps

The un-highlighted areas are relatively safe... although you should still use caution when looking for a place anywhere north of the highlighted zone. If you want to be able to easily walk to the nightlife, look for housing near the East Ave & Alexander St intersection.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Park ave. You are near Harris. You are near downtown for nightlife. There is a gym right by Harris, across the street from the Wegmans. I think it's a world gym.
I was thinking the same thing. Harris is right by the Park Ave. area.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Unfortunately there are very few safe areas that are near nightlife in Rochester, your best bet would be the "Best Neighborhood" area, it's right by Harris RF, fairly close to nightlife and has a few gyms nearby. For a decent map of where you might consider living, check out: Safe Rochester Neighborhoods - Google Maps

The un-highlighted areas are relatively safe... although you should still use caution when looking for a place anywhere north of the highlighted zone. If you want to be able to easily walk to the nightlife, look for housing near the East Ave & Alexander St intersection.
Also, that map is a generalization of the city neighborhoods. I think the 19th Ward is fine in many,if not most areas. lyceum-Northland in the far NE corner of the city seems to be fine too. Maplewood is a good neighborhood in a good portion. Charlotte is another one.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM

42 posts, read 104,605 times
Stick to the Park Ave Area.

rochester park ave map - Google Maps

Anywhere on this map between East and Harvard (north/south) and Goodman and Culver (East/West). Lots of young people, bars, and while no place is totally safe- this is not a bad area at all. Lots of beautiful old homes that have low rent. You will also only be about a mile from Harris.

You will also only be about 1.5 miles from Midtown Athletic Center. One of the best gyms I have ever been too. If money is tight I would get a less expensive rental property, but take the money you save to get a membership there. http://www.midtown.com/Pages/default.aspx

Old 11-30-2009, 12:12 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post

There are plenty of safe neighborhoods by nightlife. Park ave, East End, South Wedge, Corn Hill, NOTA, Monroe area are all by nightlife and are fine. They have no more problems than any regular US city.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Here's another map to give you an idea of where Harris is in relation to the Park Ave. area: harris communications, rochester ny - Google Maps

From what you see, it seems like regardless of the facility, you would be in the perfect neighborhood.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
There are plenty of safe neighborhoods by nightlife. Park ave, East End, South Wedge, Corn Hill, NOTA, Monroe area are all by nightlife and are fine. They have no more problems than any regular US city.
If you noticed, my map did cover those areas... with the exception of the south wedge. While the south wedge is 'up and coming', it still has a long way to go before I'd consider it to be even close to safety of the park ave area. I wouldn't really consider Maplewood to be a great area either, if it's not the crime, it's the pollution, it's sitting right in the middle of Kodak Park, where you can literally smell the toxic pollutants floating through the air. My map may be a generalization, but it's pretty darn close to accurate, there's a few pockets here and there... but do you really want to be living a block away from crack houses and gang-bangers?

Dear god... skip the Midtown athletic club, and go to Gold's Gym, the Downtown Athletic Club, or a YMCA. It is HIGHLY overpriced (to the tune of $140/mo. + join fee last time I checked) with fairly minimal services, everything there is basically a la carte, and is more a 'feel good' gym for the Pittsford/Brighton socialites to strut around with their McMansions. Now, if that's your thing... so be it... but if you're looking to get a real workout and not just stand around and chat on your bluetooth headset, look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area