U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:47 PM

87 posts, read 21,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think you are forgetting that the South had separate institutions for Blacks. So, that allowed them to get an education in spite of segregation by law. Then, you have to keep in mind that many of the Black people in the South today were born, raised and got an education in the Northeast, West and Midwest and have returned to where their families came from. So, it is a different dynamic in comparing Blacks in different regions.

Also, as far as the South, Cubans are the only Hispanic group doing well there. You also have to keep in mind that most of the Cubans in Florida are White Cubans that came from relatively affluent families in Cuba to begin with.

Again, no one said that the Rochester area is perfect and there is some truth to what you are saying, but I think things have been exaggerated a bit.

There are other groups of Hispanics other than Cubans doing well in the south. And many educated northern Blacks attended HBCUs. Lots of them chose not to return as their economic, cultural and social prospects are better away from places like Buffalo Rochester and Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 20 days ago)

30,291 posts, read 34,983,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
There are other groups of Hispanics other than Cubans doing well in the south. And many educated northern Blacks attended HBCUs. Lots of them chose not to return as their economic, cultural and social prospects are better away from places like Buffalo Rochester and Syracuse.
I already mentioned that about Blacks and institutions and what other Hispanic groups are doing better in the South? Before you answer the question about Hispanics, I don't necessarily consider Texas to be the South, except for Eastern Texas.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I already mentioned that about Blacks and institutions and what other Hispanic groups are doing better in the South? Before you answer the question about Hispanics, I don't necessarily consider Texas to be the South, except for Eastern Texas.
Texas is in the south. Its certainly isnt the north. There are Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, El Salvadorians, Venezuelans, Bolivians, Panamanians doing well in the southern states.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Texas is in the south. Its certainly isnt the north. There are Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, El Salvadorians, Venezuelans, Bolivians, Panamanians doing well in the southern states.
Texas is more like the Southwest, for the most part.

Also, where are these groups doing well in particular, in the South besides Florida? I'm sure there are some, but I'm talking about in relatively large numbers. Atlanta might be the only other area in the South where you a decent amount of Hispanics "doing well". Here's an interesting post I found about affluent Hispanics: Affluent hispanic Communities

Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Texas is more like the Southwest, for the most part.

Also, where are these groups doing well in particular, in the South besides Florida? I'm sure there are some, but I'm talking about in relatively large numbers. Atlanta might be the only other area in the South where you a decent amount of Hispanics "doing well". Here's an interesting post I found about affluent Hispanics: Affluent hispanic Communities

Texas is the south, there are plenty of Hispanics doing well in Ga, Al, La, Texas (which is obvious your trying to exclude) Va, Nc, as well as Fl.

Its funny how so many upstate NY folks think the world ends a the southern tier and starts up again in Florida. So many move to Florida, cant make it away from their nepotistic connections and move back to rural NY state.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Texas is the south, there are plenty of Hispanics doing well in Ga, Al, La, Texas (which is obvious your trying to exclude) Va, Nc, as well as Fl.

Its funny how so many upstate NY folks think the world ends a the southern tier and starts up again in Florida. So many move to Florida, cant make it away from their nepotistic connections and move back to rural NY state.
Nope....Not thinking like that at all. Again, show where they are "doing well"? I showed you. Now, can you show me? Like I said, there are Hispanics in the South, but show where they are doing well. Even if I give you Texas, that adds Houston and Dallas, which have good amounts of Hispanics doing well and should considering the history and percentage of the population they make in both areas. So, that's give or take 2-4 areas in the South, with Miami being very much legitimate and the others being decent.

By the way, my sister is one of those people that went to a HBCU and lives in the South. So, I know a thing or two about that. I have a brother in VA as well.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:56 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,924,003 times
I'm wondering where all of these vocal white racists are in places like Irondequoit are. I live in Irondequoit, in an area where there are many older people and many younger, black and latino persons are buying up houses and nobody seems to care that non-whites are moving in. The only time people are vocal is when a yard is not kept up. Otherwise, nobody gives a damn about what color somebody is.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm wondering where all of these vocal white racists are in places like Irondequoit are. I live in Irondequoit, in an area where there are many older people and many younger, black and latino persons are buying up houses and nobody seems to care that non-whites are moving in. The only time people are vocal is when a yard is not kept up. Otherwise, nobody gives a damn about what color somebody is.
I was going to say. Eastridge has quite a few Black and Hispanic students and the area is still fine.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I was going to say. Eastridge has quite a few Black and Hispanic students and the area is still fine.

Yes a good friend of mine lives in that school district. He had to straighten his cowardly neighbors out since they felt the need to used racial slurs at his 6 year old who was riding his bike in the driveway. Hes leaving the area as soon as his wifes parents pass. Thats the only thing holding him.
Having lived in Irondequoit I had to give him the "I told you so" talk.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post

Many are in the PD, I too went to IHS and lives near Chapel Hill, many of the old school Whites are not happy at all with the Blacks and Hispanics moving into the area. Many times when one is in denial as is the norm in Monroe county they dont notice what they minority community experiences or label it "playing the race card" when they speak of police or neighbor harassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area