U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 23,371 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Owings Mills, MD, a suburb of NW of Baltimore and I am considering moving to Rochester within the next 7 months. My wife and I are an interracial couple and I am looking for any cities or towns in the Rochester area as I will be attending grad school there.If anyone knows of any interracial friendly neighborhoods I am interested. We have no kids, we are both age 24-27 and college graduates if that helps narrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 AM

525 posts, read 1,645,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewhitfield View Post
I currently live in Owings Mills, MD, a suburb of NW of Baltimore and I am considering moving to Rochester within the next 7 months. My wife and I are an interracial couple and I am looking for any cities or towns in the Rochester area as I will be attending grad school there.If anyone knows of any interracial friendly neighborhoods I am interested. We have no kids, we are both age 24-27 and college graduates if that helps narrow.
I lot depends on what you are looking for. Park Ave is nice for urban living and if you can afford higher rent prices. Southwedge is closer to U of R and a little more eccentric. For suburbs, Brighton will probably be satisfactory to you, assuming UofR is the grad school. I don't really know of any non-interracial friendly neighborhoods, but I am sure there probably are some...possibly in the traditional ethnic or older resident neighborhoods.

I'd suggest spending a weekend here when it warms up a bit and spending some time in the various neighborhoods to get a feel.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,801,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I lot depends on what you are looking for. Park Ave is nice for urban living and if you can afford higher rent prices. Southwedge is closer to U of R and a little more eccentric. For suburbs, Brighton will probably be satisfactory to you, assuming UofR is the grad school. I don't really know of any non-interracial friendly neighborhoods, but I am sure there probably are some...possibly in the traditional ethnic or older resident neighborhoods.

I'd suggest spending a weekend here when it warms up a bit and spending some time in the various neighborhoods to get a feel.
I have to agree with rochacha... I cannot for the life of me think of "neighborhood" or area that is non-interracial friendly. Come, visit the area and fine a spot you like.... look around. Are you buying or renting? Are you looking for a lively area- close to entertainment and restaurants? Are you looking for a more suburban feel? Let us know that and we can help you better But no need to worry about being an interracial couple....

Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 PM

87 posts, read 79,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewhitfield View Post

Expect to receive odd stares from the locals as many of them dont approve of mating between the different shades of humans. I would advise you to pay the Rochester area a visit and see for yourself. You can spend a few days, rent a car, drive around and dine and socialize in the area and gauge the reactions for yourself. Try Brighton or the area of the city near Cobbs Hill Park. I think you will see the area is very segregated with few minorities once you venture out of the inner city. Compared to where you live now, its not diverse at all.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,636,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
Expect to receive odd stares from the locals as many of them dont approve of mating between the different shades of humans. I would advise you to pay the Rochester area a visit and see for yourself. You can spend a few days, rent a car, drive around and dine and socialize in the area and gauge the reactions for yourself. Try Brighton or the area of the city near Cobbs Hill Park. I think you will see the area is very segregated with few minorities once you venture out of the inner city. Compared to where you live now, its not diverse at all.
Odd stares where exactly? My past couple relationships have been interracial and nobody gave stares.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,801,497 times
Quote:
I have several relatives in interracial marriages.... I don't have a clue where these stares might be coming from... grew up in on the East Side and had kids with interracial parents in my school... never was an issue...

Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,774,989 times
Quote:
Are you serious? I grew up in Henrietta around inter-racial families in a small private school and no one ever blinked...we have regressed since the 70s? I don't think so....actually, if I remember right, divorce was the big "pssssstttt" of my friends......

Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 AM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
I was going to say as well, that you see interracial couples throughout the Rochester area. Actually, my brother in law was dating a woman of another race before he met and married my sister. I'd say that neighborhoods/communities like Park Ave., Upper Monroe, Monroe Village, Southwedge, parts of the 19th Ward and Brighton would be good in terms of "diversity" and proximity. Here's some information on some neighborhoods in the city of Rochester: http://rocwiki.org/Neighborhoods

Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 AM

113 posts, read 566,160 times
Quote:
Expect to receive odd stares from the locals as many of them dont approve of mating between the different shades of humans.
You'll get that in every single city in every country of the planet. I doubt it's worse here.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 PM

355 posts, read 764,221 times
Rochester is a pretty tolerant place, I think you'll be fine almost anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area