U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 16,457 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am new here and still working through how this works. We are moving back to Rochester - Yeah after 10 years! I have been reading many threads here that best school districts are on East side. Are there any west side lovers out there. What is the real skinny. LuLu in a different post mentioned Spencerport is really good? W/O sounding the wrong way - how do you know? Sorry, I have 4 kids under 6 yrs old so I really want to get it right. My husband will be working in Irondequoit (I know W. Iron is good but haven't seen much avail). Spencerport is one of the places we were interested in except there also doesn't seem to be a lot avail.

Is Greece a big no, no? The houses look so beautiful and very similar to the neighborhood we are coming from. Tell me more about this administration thing.

Also, anyone hear of any school districts that were exceptional with Spec. Ed (spec. PT and OT)? Only a concern of mine for the next two years.

Thanks so much and I am thrilled to know you are out there. I had no idea!

Last edited by Mooker; 05-18-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,906,699 times
I gotta ask; if your husband is going to be working in Irondequoit; why do you want to live on the West Side? I'm a west-side lover I guess you could say (Greece)....But I still don't see why you would want to live all the way out in Spencerport when your husband will be working in Irondequoit? I would suggest Webster or Penfield..both have excellent schools, and are much closer to Irondequoit. The best schools are in Pittsford and Brighton...but the houses will be somewhat more expensive there

Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 AM

6 posts, read 16,457 times
Default The short and quick answer...

family on the West side. We are also moving from Boston, MA area so there is a major difference in what we consider far away. Thanks for your input - I think Webster and Pittsford, Brighton and Penfield are all beautiful. I have heard lots of things on West Iron. school system from many people that say it's in top 3 (Brighton, Pittsford, W.Iron).

Thanks - looking for more info!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,906,699 times
Oh ok that makes sense then. The best schools on the west side are probably HIlton or Gates-Chili ( you would probably rather live in Chili than Gates to attend those schools) I would love to be able to say Greece, but there have been many issues with Greece Central schools that have been giving it some negative publicity.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:27 PM

578 posts, read 2,836,083 times
Here's a link to Rochester area school stats: http://homesteadnet.com/pdf/05within25.pdf (broken link)

There's also http://www.GreatSchools.net (broken link) which has links to more resources as well as occassional reviews by parents/students.

Note that I do not personally promote picking a school district on stats alone. But it's a start. My son is in Gates Chili elementary and we feel it's only OK. However, there's more than one elem school as with most everywhere else so it greatly depends on the specific school you get.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,943 times
Rush-Henrietta is a pretty good district. Henrietta/Rush is located in south of Monroe county. Probably won't be feasable for you.

It would make more sense to live in Irondequoit, Webster, or Penfield. I would reccomend Either Irondiqoit or Webster. They are simply the closest. If you want to live on the west side, there are many good choices.

Spencerport is nice along with Greece. Greece is I believe the largest suburb of Rochester. It has parts that are urban and parts that are rural. Very diverse. However, I agree with what one of the posters have said that the school district might not meet your needs.

If you want to move to a small town feel, there is Scottsville or Riga if you really want your husband to commute (although, it would probably seem like a walk in the park since your family is from boston).

I hope that helps.

The most inexpensive houses tend to me in Henrietta, Scottsville, and perhaps some in Greece. There are other inexpensive areas as well, you just have to search and see what comes up.

The most expensive are Pittsford and Mendon.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 29,305 times
Cool High Taxes

All I hear in the news is "higher Taxes", good luck .

We just bought a house one year ago in the Finger Lakes area, but, we still make some trips to Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or