U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,683,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
That's not really the point - saying Amityville is more well known than Rochester is like saying Hershey is more well known - it's the name, not that actual city, that people know. I lived in the tri-state area and had no idea where, who, or what Amityville was, just the name of a movie. Until I was even in 15 I had no idea it was in NY. I knew the name, though. If you polled a hundred people, 80 of them probably wouldn't know that Hershey is a city in PA, and the chocolate is named after the city where it is produced.
Really? 80 out of 100 would be that 'geographically challenged' ? That's quite a huge porportion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM

200 posts, read 355,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Really? 80 out of 100 would be that 'geographically challenged' ? That's quite a huge porportion
You've seen Ms. Teen South Carolina, right? LOL

YouTube - Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question
While her answer is hilarious, the poll cited in the question is more what we're concerned with on this thread. If 1/5th of Americans can't find the US on a map, I really am not sure 80 out of 100 not knowing where Hershey was is that much of a stretch. In the Mid Atlantic there are sure to be more than 20 people who know where it is, but if you asked someone in Boise or St Petersburg or San Diego or Mexico City or Tokyo what Hershey was, they would know it was a chocolate company, but might not know it's a city in PA.
A majority of us here, on this site would know about Hershey no matter where we are from, but lets admit it - a lot of us are nerds.

Last edited by aaron4040; 02-19-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 AM

12,344 posts, read 13,755,645 times
Its off the thruway , so the thousands of people who use the thruway each day can't see the skyline or anything that represents a modern city. Its one of those hidden gem cities , like New Brunswick,NJ , unless your on Amtrak /NJT you won't know theres a major city in Central Jersey.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,989 times
Maybe there should've been a law, to prevent cities from having the same names. That may be part of the problem being a medium sized city. As a 20 year Marine Corps Veteran afterawhile I just started telling people that I was from upstate NY so that they could get an idea of where Rochester NY was from when I mentioned Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany etc. Some people know but on a whole nationally Rochester Ny is not well known nowadays nor is it on the map nationally at this time.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,444,102 times
A law against naming cities the same thing? That's just what we need is more pointless laws!

Old 02-20-2010, 03:13 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,554,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usjpn4u View Post
Maybe there should've been a law, to prevent cities from having the same names. That may be part of the problem being a medium sized city. As a 20 year Marine Corps Veteran afterawhile I just started telling people that I was from upstate NY so that they could get an idea of where Rochester NY was from when I mentioned Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany etc. Some people know but on a whole nationally Rochester Ny is not well known nowadays nor is it on the map nationally at this time.
Whilst in the Marines, I met several folks from NYC. Raised there, and they went to NYC public schools. They thought Rochester was about an hour away from the city. None of them had ever heard of Buffalo. Far as they were concerned, Buffalo was in Nebraska.

I guess if I'd grown up in the bubble that is NYC, I'd be ignorant of the outside world, too.

Some of the folks I went to high school with couldn't find Rochester on a map of NY State.

I tell people I'm from Upstate or Western NY. Then if they ask where, I tell them Rochester. Most people down here know where it is, generally.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 PM

The ones who think that Rochester is an hour from NYC probably think it's somehow connected to Westchester; like they are the same thing or something. haha

Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,935,697 times
What is this thread making look worse......the fact that some people don't know where/have heard of Rochester, N.Y. or that in general, people have become so ignorant about world geography?

But you can name the 5 top contestants from American Idol?

The Dumbing Down of America: read it and weep

Old 02-21-2010, 12:45 PM

smalltownusa you are so right it's disturbing. Ever watched "jaywalking" with Jay Leno..where he asks average people he finds on the streets of LA pretty simple questions like "what planet do we live on" and they don't know? I cringe every time I see that spandex and who farted t-shirt laden 45 year old 300 lb women (or man if you replace spandex with torn up jeans) looking insanely perplexed when Jay Leno asks them to name the capital of the US or identify a picture of the vice president...and think "oh god, this is the world's image of the typical American".

Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 AM

220 posts, read 470,458 times
Default Rochester

As someone previously stated, in North and South Carolina people have heard of Rochester. More often than not they comment on the snow. There also seems to be a significant amount of people from Rochester who live here.

NYC on the other hand seems to think Rochester is upstate NY (meaning close to NYC) or they think it is out in the country and doesn't register on the things to do list.

I find with other areas I have to say right next to Buffalo or Syracuse, or close to Niagara Falls and Toronto before someone understands where I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area