Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
What folks are you talking about? Why wouldn't they want to be associated with the greatest city in the greatest country in the world?
Greatest city? Lol really?! I hope you're just saying that because of it's size and not anything else. The one thing that would help NYS better itself is if NYC were to just fall in to the Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
NYC is a great city, probably the greatest city on earth. HOWEVER, that doesn't make it an asset to those of us who live 7 hours away in the same state who will forever be in the shadow of and the back seat to what is important for the city. I poke fun at the NYC region all the time but I definitely understand its importance nationally and globally.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Very, very great point! I think metros in Upstate need to have more of a regional outlook in general, to be honest. I wonder what would be a good name to use instead of Buffalo though?
I would recomend calling them simply "The Bills". That way at least there is some heritage continuance. If you live in Syacuse, Rochester or someplace else in upstate, then you could actually call them "your home team", not a team belonging to some other city. Also, if a new stadium is ever built, maybe it could be built someware along the thruway, between Geneva and Batavia, so it will be within 1 hour of over 3 million people. That would solve the current 1.1 million small market problem that Buffalo has. I like the idea of building it at the intersection of interstate 90 & interstate 390 that goes right to the southern tier, making it easy for Corning, Elmira, Binghamton and Jamestown to commute. And it would be closer to the taxpayers, who would be forced to pay for a new stadium.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:25 PM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Greatest city? Lol really?! I hope you're just saying that because of it's size and not anything else. The one thing that would help NYS better itself is if NYC were to just fall in to the Atlantic
This may not be the thread for this, but what city would you nominate? Maybe I'll start a separate thread, but what city, if not NYC, would you call the "greatest"? LA, Chicago, SF, Toronto, Tokyo, Mexico City, London, Rio, Paris? Maybe I'm a homer, but I've been to most of those cities & NY gets my vote. Right after Rochester, of course lol.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 PM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
NYC is a great city, probably the greatest city on earth. HOWEVER, that doesn't make it an asset to those of us who live 7 hours away in the same state who will forever be in the shadow of and the back seat to what is important for the city. I poke fun at the NYC region all the time but I definitely understand its importance nationally and globally.
I know what you're saying. Sorry - I was half joking. Inflection isn't always obvious on here.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM

14 posts, read 37,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
is probably not as recognizeable as Kodak...and with Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglas having lived here, and the Erie Canal and everything...I think we are WAY more historically significant.
Don't forget Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, Hickey-Freeman, Hickock belts, and French's Mustard

Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,080 times
I will say one thing, people in Rochester Have a tremendous amount of pride, as did I growing up there. But after I moved out into the world. I discovered Rochester,NY isn't known nationwide or even worldwide for that matter. It is known in circles of academia, for our institutions of higher learning. Having 3 or 4 other cities with the same not doesn't help matters much when you have a medium sized city like Rochester wanting to make an international name, reputation and international dollars. It's stilll a great place to live though. Even though it's upstate NY, it has it's own personality apart from other cities, and that's good.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinNY View Post
Don't forget Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, Hickey-Freeman, Hickock belts, and French's Mustard
and Wegmans

Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
I don't think Rochester will ever be nationally know because we are in the shadow of both New York City AND Buffalo.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I don't think Rochester will ever be nationally know because we are in the shadow of both New York City AND Buffalo.
Don't understand why we are living in the shadow of Buffalo. I think it's all in the perception of the past. Buffalo was twice the size of Rochester 40 years ago, however, we are now only about 70,000 people away. We have the positive energy of the momentum, while they have been losing thousands every year. (yes, we are static right now, but haven't lost many people, if we've lost any at all).

Our economy is larger and the things they have that make them seem biger, they wouldn't have without us, like the Bills and Sabres. We have an arts "economy" of $200m and theirs is $160m, but they tout their arts all the time.

Financially we lose big time as they capitalize on the perception that they are bigger and get 10x the state and federal investments as we do, despite an almost equal contribution into the pot.

You always hear about population loss and general dieing of upstate, but that's all about Buffalo. Rochester needs to put itself in the spotlight more, and also grab more of the "government" money that is rightfully ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area