Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Most people on this site just go around posting why they love or hate a place based on their experience there. The Rochester forum is no different. How many people provide proof for their experience on city-data? Let's not be silly...

There is a difference between a persons experience and a person trying to throw out statistics and sweeping generalizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 PM

56 posts, read 335,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Yes I have to agree that most people I have met out of state are not too familiar with Rochester, NY. But I would have to say that these people are either dumb or geographically naive. Rochester is the largest city in the nation with that name.
No sorry, size doesn't matter... Rochester has a population of 207,000 and Amityville has a population of 27,000, according to your theory more people would be "familiar" with" Rochester, NY over Amityville, NY... Rochester is bigger but Amityville could be considered a household name because of the movie.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
718 bound...your point would only apply here if Rochester were named 'Amityville". The fact remains that Rochester, NY is the largest city there is with that name and by far the largest metro area. I still disagree with the notion that Rochester, MN is more nationally recognized than the good ole' Flower City.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 AM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718bound View Post
No sorry, size doesn't matter... Rochester has a population of 207,000 and Amityville has a population of 27,000, according to your theory more people would be "familiar" with" Rochester, NY over Amityville, NY... Rochester is bigger but Amityville could be considered a household name because of the movie.
That's not really the point - saying Amityville is more well known than Rochester is like saying Hershey is more well known - it's the name, not that actual city, that people know. I lived in the tri-state area and had no idea where, who, or what Amityville was, just the name of a movie. Until I was even in 15 I had no idea it was in NY. I knew the name, though. If you polled a hundred people, 80 of them probably wouldn't know that Hershey is a city in PA, and the chocolate is named after the city where it is produced.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I'm working out of state right now and the majority of the time when I mention I'm from here, I get a comment about snow..... so people have heard of it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
LOLOL I'm not finding this racist just funny
There's nothing racist about it at all.

Popeye's ran out of chicken. People (city dwellers, it would seem), freaked out.

One lady in that video claimed she drove from Penfield to the Lake location. Hmmm, 30 minutes by car across the city. So, round trip was probably an hour and a half, with nothing to show for it.

This is a classic video showing the decline of the City if Rochester. What, these people never heard of Country Sweet (3 blocks away)? Can't buy a rotisserie chicken at Wegmans?

No problem solving skills. No planning ahead.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
That video was hilarious but insanely sad at the same time. Stupidity all around; the note on the door said "do to" instead of "due to"; the one lady with the bee-hive yells at the RECORDING telling them "you telling us we can't feed our families?!"; the large gentlemen with huge eyes asks "no more chicken, or are they just out of chicken?".

Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 PM

56 posts, read 335,216 times
It doesn't matter what a town is named - granted the name of the thread- but RottenChester used the THEORY that more people would have to be more familiar with NY's Rochester because it is bigger. That theory has nothing to do with the NAME of the place it has to do with the size of the place. So using Rottenchester's theory on size of the place people would be more familiar with Amityville or Hershey.

arron4040, if a person knows the name of place but doesn't know if it is located in PA or NY would you say thy are unfamilarwith the place? I don't know... Geographically I guess so. lol

Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Most of the people I have met out of state know about Rochester NY. Especially in the Carolinas, how many people from NY have moved there? I would say more out west, Rochester is less known. I am sure there are other cities of similar size that I have not heard or, or only know of the name.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:23 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
I don't think that video was racist. Some people acting stupid, maybe. Popeyes didn't stock enough, maybe.

I worked at an electronics retail store for years before and during college. Every time there was a big sale, or during black Friday, we would get these same stupid comments. You can only stock so much fresh food, there is only so much supply. The video makes no comment of just how much chicken Popeyes actually sold. With some big sales, we stocked enough product for an entire year and sold the entire load. Out of 3000+ stores, there was no more. And yet people complain.

Read between the lines. The news displays people getting upset, which happens to all be black folk (because nobody else buys chicken) and they make no mention of how well Popeyes is actually doing. Lovely way to make a headline. How about interviewing the store manager? I blame the news, not the black folk or Popeyes. They news needs better stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area