Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times

Advertisements

This was made to my attention this morning on another forum.

This could prove that the people in NY and even the people in Rochester are grumpy. I know it changers my mood when I can see the big fireball in the sky.

Sunshine states are the happiest, study shows - Behavior- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Lol, you don't have to be in Rochester to be grumpy. I would say, just shy of everyone falls into this category.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM

233 posts, read 685,442 times
Yes, the weather causes my SAD and makes me stay indoors reading Frankenstein until spring.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
I saw a big fireball yesterday as it blinded me on my way to Buffalo, I see one now. People in the south are just as grumpy, we just have something different to complain about, it is just another survey.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM

42 posts, read 104,599 times
Caution.....Very broad statement upcoming!! Most people that have an issue with the weather are relatively lazy. It is an easy excuse to stay inside, eating cookies, and watching TV. It is also the easiest thing to blame- it take no thought or imagination to blame the weather. People love to complain about anything and the weather in the entire Northeast is just an easy thing to blame laziness on.

I enjoy this time of year. Running in the cold (anything above 25 degrees) beats the heat any day. Dont go to restaurants in the summer (stay home and BBQ), the winter is a great time to try different places to eat. Go to a show in Rochester once a month or go to Syracuse to see one of the best basketball teams in the country. If you can afford it- go south in Feb for a long weekend just to re-charge a little. Keep yourself busy during these months and spring is here before you know it.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctorochester View Post
Caution.....Very broad statement upcoming!! Most people that have an issue with the weather are relatively lazy. It is an easy excuse to stay inside, eating cookies, and watching TV. It is also the easiest thing to blame- it take no thought or imagination to blame the weather. People love to complain about anything and the weather in the entire Northeast is just an easy thing to blame laziness on.

I enjoy this time of year. Running in the cold (anything above 25 degrees) beats the heat any day. Dont go to restaurants in the summer (stay home and BBQ), the winter is a great time to try different places to eat. Go to a show in Rochester once a month or go to Syracuse to see one of the best basketball teams in the country. If you can afford it- go south in Feb for a long weekend just to re-charge a little. Keep yourself busy during these months and spring is here before you know it.
I'd like to add going ice skating, sleding, skiing or snowmobiling. Watching the Amerks or other sporting events isn't bad either.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctorochester View Post
Caution.....Very broad statement upcoming!! Most people that have an issue with the weather are relatively lazy. It is also the easiest thing to blame- it take no thought or imagination to blame the weather. People love to complain about anything and the weather in the entire Northeast is just an easy thing to blame laziness on. .
Honest, I admire people who are talented, good-looking, and have no health or mental problems. But some people do have problems, and saying that you should just "get over" things like depression or SAD is like saying that blind people could see if they just wanted to but they don't.

Of course it is a broad statement. On one side there are people who really are lazy. On the other side there are people who try really hard to function but they can't.

Sometimes people even kill themselves, and for some people this is funny. Maybe I was raised wrong but I don't see it as funny.

S

Old 12-20-2009, 12:34 PM

42 posts, read 104,599 times
Uhhh.....ok. Not sure how we got here, but I will bite. No question some people have deep mental issues- Agree with you 100%. However, in this PC environment we all live in it is very easy for people to blame issues they have on "depression" as opposed to then their own laziness. The doctors and community will simply prescribe more and more medications- probably paid for by the taxpayers. I believe a decent percentage of the people that are on "depression" meds could solve their problems with things like exercise, getting involved with local groups, work, family, etc. All these things take much more effort then simply popping a pill. Watching TV and staying inside due to the "weather" will only increase "depression".

I never met anyone that thinks suicide is funny. Hope I never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area