U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlibrarian View Post
Thanks for clarifying. There are places to hike long distances within an hour's drive in the Finger Lakes region, about an hour away from the city. There are not any hikes like you describe within the city or even a 10 minute drive away that I know of. The Adirondacks are closer to 5 hours away, definately not a day trip -- more of a weekend trip. There are, in the city, parks like you describe though, that are nice for a quick stretch.
If you wanna get away for a few hours, I found places by the bay are decent. Ellison park hooks up with Tryon park. It takes me a while to mountain bike though those areas so I assume hiking would take more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 AM

56,566 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlibrarian View Post
Also, to clarify, I'm not sure any hiking here, even in the Adirondacks would merit backpacking. To me, mountains are things that are either actively volcanic, covered with snow 100% of the year, or both. The Adirondacks seem from my West Coast perspective like big hills. It is great fun to walk around in them though and one can go quite a distance.
You have to keep in mind that the Adirondacks are older mountains, supposedly, in terms of creation. So, they are going to have the same look of mountains out West.

I'm sure there are plenty of places there were you would need a backpack.

By the way, Old Forge is only an hour and a half from Syracuse and is a great little community in the Adirondacks that you could try. Adirondack Old Forge, New York
McCauley Mountain Summit Webcam - Old Forge,NY.
Welcome to Old Forge, NY in th Adirondack Mountains, Old Forge, NY
Welcome to Hiking in the Old Forge Region of the Adirondack Mountains

Here's some areas close by that are good for hiking: Friends of Genesee Valley Greenway
Finger Lakes Trail Conference
Town of Canandaigua, NY USA
Victor Hiking Trails

Old 01-17-2010, 01:59 PM

726 posts, read 1,869,563 times
CKH, not to attack your posts but have you been out west? Please don't get me wrong I love love love the Adirondacks. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, I go there every year and probably will for the rest of my life but with that being said the Adirondacks do not look anything like Western Mountains. I would tell everyone in the world that Adirondack Park is a must visit but I would never recommend it for any experienced hikers/backpackers from the West without mentioning they may find it a little easy.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM

56,566 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
CKH, not to attack your posts but have you been out west? Please don't get me wrong I love love love the Adirondacks. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, I go there every year and probably will for the rest of my life but with that being said the Adirondacks do not look anything like Western Mountains. I would tell everyone in the world that Adirondack Park is a must visit but I would never recommend it for any experienced hikers/backpackers from the West without mentioning they may find it a little easy.
It was a mistype. I meant to say that they won't look like the mountains out West. If you notice, I was talking about how the Adirondacks are supposedly older mountains that the mountains out West.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:08 PM

726 posts, read 1,869,563 times
Oh sorry, makes sense.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,656,475 times
The Adirondacks are home to over 300 lakes. One can rent canoes, there, even, at places like Old Forge (which is at the edge of the park).

The Erie Canal path was always one of my favorites. I used to run the loop from Fairport to Marsh Rd. It's not all hard ball, either, meaning there's a thin layer of gravel which makes it easier on the joints. My (then) roommate was into the outdoors, too, and he'd bike the path, as well as go "sculling" on the canal.

Bristol was a place my friends and relatives would hang out at, as well as Swain, depending on the weather and conditions. The skiing in the Adirondack, Green, and White mountains is a about as good as any out west, save for the size of the mountains and lengths of the trails.

The outdoors of Canada are a mere 4 hours or so away, in fact there's a huge provincial park north of Toronto that's really nice, and some other areas back towards Ottawa that are cool, too.

The state and local park systems in NY are second to none, in fact folks travel from out of state to hang out at them (Hamlin Beach, Allegany State Park, etc.).

Ontario County has two or three systems of trails.

The Genesee Valley Greenway is a pretty cool trail:

Friends of Genesee Valley Greenway

Genesee Valley Greenway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They're still working on finishing the trail in a few specific spots, although
one can navigate it from Genesee Valley Park in the city, all the way to Cuba, NY, 90+ miles away (62 miles are complete, so some of that would be backcountry and hard ball road). It was a canal at one time, then became a right-of-way for the Pennsylvania RR. Like any long trail, it can be accessed at many points along it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area