Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 23,486 times

Advertisements

Hiya folks.
I was away from the net over the holidays and unaware what a debate I inspired! Some of you are right, I am not necessarily looking for majestic mountains, challenging treks, etc etc etc, though of course I love that about Oregon and Alaska. Good day/weekend trips are important, but just as much the ability to do a short drive and walk in the woods for a few hours when you have some time to spare. And that is actually a little harder out west, because distances are so long..... so, between all the back-and-forth, I think I have a good sense of things. Fewer big awe-inspiring adventures than out west (not surprisingly) but plenty of places not too far away to get out and be in nature, too. Obviously, some compromising involved. Thanks to all , and sorry for being kind of a ghost OP for a bit.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 AM

200 posts, read 604,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdaniel View Post
Hiya folks.
I was away from the net over the holidays and unaware what a debate I inspired! Some of you are right, I am not necessarily looking for majestic mountains, challenging treks, etc etc etc, though of course I love that about Oregon and Alaska. Good day/weekend trips are important, but just as much the ability to do a short drive and walk in the woods for a few hours when you have some time to spare. And that is actually a little harder out west, because distances are so long..... so, between all the back-and-forth, I think I have a good sense of things. Fewer big awe-inspiring adventures than out west (not surprisingly) but plenty of places not too far away to get out and be in nature, too. Obviously, some compromising involved. Thanks to all , and sorry for being kind of a ghost OP for a bit.....
LOL hey no problem - that's the beauty of back and forth debate - somewhere in there you get both sides of the story. Hope we helped!

Last edited by aaron4040; 01-02-2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM

24 posts, read 59,270 times
I'm from Portland, Oregon and recently moved to Rochester. There are tons of trails in Portland, so I'm assuming you mean hardcore hiking. I haven't discovered any hardcore hiking like you'll find on the coast or in the gorge AT ALL in the upstate New York. So it depends upon what you mean by "hiking."

Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlibrarian View Post
I'm from Portland, Oregon and recently moved to Rochester. There are tons of trails in Portland, so I'm assuming you mean hardcore hiking. I haven't discovered any hardcore hiking like you'll find on the coast or in the gorge AT ALL in the upstate New York. So it depends upon what you mean by "hiking."
Compaired to Portland Oregon the trails here are bunny slopes. I'm not saying that there isn't good hiking just not Portland hiking.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM

93,346 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Here's some hiking spots close by:
Finger Lakes Trail Conference
Friends of Genesee Valley Greenway
Letchworth State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Hiking & Climbing

Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 PM

36 posts, read 81,648 times
I think Rochester has great outdoor things to do and many beautiful places within a small radius. When the weather is good in Rochester, there is no more beautiful place! Lots of parks, lots of beach and water, lakes, Bristol area and Naples are gorgeous. They have awesome bike paths too. Not real crowded either! I think you will love it. But, it is cloudy, rainy, cold and snowy there for a LONG time. That is why I moved to north Texas but I so miss the all the beauty and different outdoor things to do in NY state. You can't beat a ride to Naples on an Autumn day or walking on the beach or down the Charlotte pier! The Finger Lakes area is great too and you have to hike up or down the gorge at Watkins Glen at least once! BEAUTIFUL!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM

8 posts, read 23,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlibrarian View Post
Hello pdxlibrarian,
I'm actually from a smaller town in Oregon - and Portland does have lots of great places to get away within the city, and definitely within an hour away. Here's my best effort to be more specific. I do like both - a few times a year I like to go on a longer hiking/backpacking trip. But for that I'm willing to drive and the distance to the Adirondacks would be fine. But on a weekly basis, I like to have somewhere close by I can go, for instance, for 3-5 miles or 1-3 hours of walking in the woods. A walk in a small picnic area state park is nice for a busy Saturday afternoon, but ideally I'm thinking of of something longer than that to be regularly accessible. The same could apply for cross country skiing (ideally, 1-3 hour outdoors time range regularly, within an hour's drive, and able to go for longer within several hours).

Any thoughts based on these details?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Default Skiing is close

I used to ski at Bristol Mountain after work on a week day. It was 45 minutes from Rochester:
Ski New York! Bristol Mountain Ski Resort, Bristol NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post

I'm thinking hill skiing would be the furthest, I don't ski, so the closest I know of is Holiday valley. Probably 2 hours I'm thinking.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks for clarifying. There are places to hike long distances within an hour's drive in the Finger Lakes region, about an hour away from the city. There are not any hikes like you describe within the city or even a 10 minute drive away that I know of. The Adirondacks are closer to 5 hours away, definately not a day trip -- more of a weekend trip. There are, in the city, parks like you describe though, that are nice for a quick stretch.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 AM

Also, to clarify, I'm not sure any hiking here, even in the Adirondacks would merit backpacking. To me, mountains are things that are either actively volcanic, covered with snow 100% of the year, or both. The Adirondacks seem from my West Coast perspective like big hills. It is great fun to walk around in them though and one can go quite a distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area