Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times

Advertisements

For the "Hottest zip codes for home prices" Rochester had two in the top 10.

. . . that's biggest one-year increase by %

Hottest Zip Codes for Home Prices - CNBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 06:52 AM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post

That's cool. I'm kind of surprised that 14621 was one of the ZIPs listed. I know that most people would consider that one of the rougher neighborhoods in the city, but if things are going well there, then great. I'm not sure exactly how this reflects on the Rochester housing market, but any positive press is a good thing, right?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM

87 posts, read 106,482 times
Quote:

Do you think this will start a flood of people moving to Monroe county from all over the nation? I hope they are expanding that tiny airport to handle the infux of new residents

Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 AM

When the homes are priced at $50K an few thousand dollar spike is significant. Could be more absentee landlords from NYC speculating on the vacant units again as has been the trend in recent years.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Booming? no
steady gains? yes

Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Booming? no
steady gains? yes
the thread title was meant to be facetious. I live in one of those top 5 zip codes so i'm definitely not knocking it . . . it's where the smart money is right now.

People from Vegas like to talk about how they [were] the fastest growing city in the country. When you only have 200,000 people it's really not that hard.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
the thread title was meant to be facetious. I live in one of those top 5 zip codes so i'm definitely not knocking it . . . it's where the smart money is right now.

People from Vegas like to talk about how they [were] the fastest growing city in the country. When you only have 200,000 people it's really not that hard.

Rochester has 200K people. Do you think they have the vision or the balls to do something different that will provide growth?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:48 PM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
Rochester has 200K people. Do you think they have the vision or the balls to do something different that will provide growth?
No. And even if someone had any bright ideas they would probably get shouted down. If you still lived here, what would you suggest?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
No. And even if someone had any bright ideas they would probably get shouted down. If you still lived here, what would you suggest?

Gentrification projects in the city that are inclusive of city residents.
A regional approach to business development that includes downtown/the city being the employment center. Bring back trades training to local schools tied to local industries as well as skills that can be used for relocation. Regional development of the Lake Ontario water front to induce more tourism and trade. Better regional public transportation route. And a cultural flush for much of the population.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
Gentrification projects in the city that are inclusive of city residents.
A regional approach to business development that includes downtown/the city being the employment center. Bring back trades training to local schools tied to local industries as well as skills that can be used for relocation. Regional development of the Lake Ontario water front to induce more tourism and trade. Better regional public transportation route. And a cultural flush for much of the population.
What's funny is that almost all of that is occurring in Syracuse:
SALT :: Syracuse Art, Life & Tech District :: Home
O'Brien & Gere sells building - syracuse.com
Cazenovia architectural firm moving to downtown Syracuse | News from The Post-Standard -
Renovated Syracuse building for King & King Architects, moving from Manlius, is just about ready | News from The Post-Standard -
Institute of Technology (http://www.scsd.us/%7EITCentral/Index.html - broken link)
State seeks new proposals for Syracuse Inner Harbor | News from The Post-Standard -
Clean Tech Center Blog: RFP out for development of Syracuse Inner Harbor: A unique green opportunity (in one of the greenest cities in the country)
Connective Corridor , http://www.centro.org/pdf/connective-corridor.aspx (broken link)

As for the "cultural flush", I'm not sure what you are getting at, but the arts scene here is pretty good in terms of having an opera, symphony orchestra, professional theatre with Syracuse stage and plenty of live music venues. You might be in the wrong city or Rochester offers more of this than you know.

Also, I don't think that including trades in the local schools would be used for relocation, as students would probably be trained in trades that are in demand locally like weatherization and many others, so they can get jobs locally. What is Edison Tech doing in this regard?

You can check this out too: Syracuse Construction Update

Also, what about an aquarium on the lakefront, a riverwalk along the Genesee, reviving the old subway or propose some lines of rail, maybe tear down some of the highway routes in the middle of the city the same way many other cities have proposed or have done(inc. Syracuse with I-81), connect the college campuses with the rest of the city with transit routes similar to Syracuse's Connective Corridor and increase community policing efforts with statios in necessary neighborhoods.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-31-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area