U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,732 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm about to sign a lease on an apartment in the Park Ave/Colby area of the city and I have a few small concerns. How much of a problem is parking in this area? I don't mind having to park a couple blocks away or anything like that, but I don't want a bunch of parking tickets. Is it fairly easy to follow the parking rules on Park Ave? As I said, I don't mind having to walk a few blocks homes but I don't want to have to worry about tickets too much.

Also if anyone has extra information or advice about this area it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM

200 posts, read 530,871 times
I used to live in that neighborhood and it's not that confusing. The times are 7pm - 6pm, I believe, and you have to move your car one side or the other - Mon, Wed, Fri on one side, Tues Thurs Sat on the other side, and as long as you remember to move your car before 7 pm you should be all set. That's the general gist of it. Um.....yeah...... I guess it is a little confusing.....

Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,358,267 times
The parking situation in the Park Ave area is obnoxious... and you're pretty well guaranteed to get parking tickets. The meter maids... or whatever name (read: curse word) you identify them by are like vultures, they wait for the moment the alternate parking switches (so right at 7pm and 6pm) and start writing tickets out like their lives depended on it. You may want to reconsider how far you're willing to walk to get to your car in the winter, depending on where you're coming from I suppose. The weather is currently about 10 degrees Fahrenheit (not including wind chill) with about a foot of snow on the ground.

It's another scam perpetuated by the city to produce income, not for any sense of public safety or maintenance. Same deal as the red light cameras that are getting put in... they're only there to generate additional income for a city that has no idea how to budget properly.

Edit: Not that I blame Duffy so much, the budgeting situation has existed for longer than he's been in office. Actually, he seems to have been doing a great job in office, along with Jean-Claude Brizard to help reform the city. Stopping the Renaissance Square project was one of the smartest decisions this city has ever made.

Last edited by RowingMunkeyCU; 01-04-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM

87 posts, read 79,051 times
Ask your landlord if they have any other properties in the area that have off street parking for rent.
If they have a building with a vacant space they may rent it to you for as little as $25 per month.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM

504 posts, read 1,295,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlineden View Post
Hi everyone! I'm about to sign a lease on an apartment in the Park Ave/Colby area of the city and I have a few small concerns. How much of a problem is parking in this area? I don't mind having to park a couple blocks away or anything like that, but I don't want a bunch of parking tickets. Is it fairly easy to follow the parking rules on Park Ave? As I said, I don't mind having to walk a few blocks homes but I don't want to have to worry about tickets too much.

Also if anyone has extra information or advice about this area it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
If your street has alternate parking, you'll have to remember to shift your car a couple of times a week. Not sure about Colby St, but I think Harvard does (and you may end up parking over there from time to time). If you're the forgetful type, this might result in a lot of parking tickets. Just read the signs carefully when you first move in and maybe set up an alarm on your cell phone to remind yourself.

When I lived on a street with alternate parking, everyone on the block knew whose car belonged to who and would remind each other if they could. My downstairs neighbors saved me from a lot of parking tickets just by ringing the doorbell. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area