U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,447,160 times

Advertisements

Honestly I would love to know the demographics on this forum. I can't talk about "the economy" in an abstract sense, having been laid off from a job I deserved and was amazing at. And when I graduate college in May I have no prospects in this region or maybe anywhere, which is so god damn unfair when I was 12 when Bush was elected and his cronies were the ones who crashed this country's economy. People like me are being driven away. And it's sad. Upstate NY paid to educate me and now it's gonna lose me. And I could've given. I'd work a 70 hour week for 30k/year if that's what it took to stay here. But I can't even get treated crappy here, though I'd love to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

726 posts, read 1,864,975 times
I think people in Rochester/WNY have an inferiority complex. The post was "why do so many people from Rochester relocate to Florida". Why don't you all try to answer that instead of being defensive about Rochester? Why people move to Florida:1) better weather2) happier people3) lower taxes4) lower COL (not all areas but many)5) better future6) more natural beauty

Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM

233 posts, read 594,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
But they don't pretend everything is all and well. They admit that there are problems, but think the pluses outweigh the minuses.
You can't prove it either way. It's not a good idea to speak for everyone else.

However from my personal experience, it would appear that a lot of NYers have some interest in Florida as opposed to other states.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,608,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
You can't prove it either way. It's not a good idea to speak for everyone else.

However from my personal experience, it would appear that a lot of NYers have some interest in Florida as opposed to other states.
I can as the people on the forum the poster was referring to have all stated that there were problems in the area. If we are going from personal experience, Florida is more towards the bottom of the list on relocation compared to places like NC, AZ.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
There's no "BS" just simple experience. I've known about 5 people (that I can think of offhand) that moved back to WNY after moving away (NC, NEV, CALI, TEX, FL) all said it boiled down to missing family and friends and none had anything negative to say about where they relocated to. Ironic enough of those 5, four ended up going back after a couple of years. Turns out they romanticized "home." BTW: relax, take a breath, it's a discussion forum.
Funny, I know two families who moved away (SC and FL) for job tranfers, moved back and wondered out loud why they did after returning...I think there is a lot of romanticizing as you stated and it ends abruptly when the first snow hits again.....

Sorry, NY has lost it's sheen for me and maybe it's just a "growing old" phenomena but I can not envision myself digging out of snow, scrapping snow off my car, knocking snow off my boots, looking fo rmy lost glove in the snow, mopping slush puddles off my floors and sweeping salt-licks off my garage floor for the rest of my life.......

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 AM

200 posts, read 529,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I think there is a lot of romanticizing as you stated and it ends abruptly when the first snow hits again.....
I've noticed that too - here's a fun little game you can play if you want. Search through the Rochester forum (and many other cities throughout the Northeast / Midwest if you want) and you'll notice that posts and posters swing from "(insert city name here) is greatest place in the world" to "I live in a living hell" in a span of about a month (November). Then, April comes, and the positive posts bloom again like so many annuals. They are, I'm assuming, a pretty good cross section of the attitudes of a majority of the populace in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I think people in Rochester/WNY have an inferiority complex.
Can you blame them? If people kept telling you you suck and didn't want to hear you explain why you didn't think you sucked, you might get a little defensive too.

There are two simple reasons why people move to Florida
- 1) the Weather - they don't like the cold. Easy enough.
- 2) The taxes - Income taxes down there are non existent, and though I didn't own property when I lived there, I'm assuming that there is no comparison on that front either.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,871,724 times
aaron4040 it won't let me give you any more reputation points...but excellent post!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Yep, weather and taxes....here's my scenario: I'm living in Fl., walking the dog almost everyday of the year (and never in piles of dirty, sloppy snow) while getting some much needed exercise, therefore, increasing my good serotonins which puts a smile on my face......then I come in from getting the mail and open my Jan/Sept. tax bill and it's a mirror pittance compared to my NYS taxes of old.... ahhhhhh....life is good.....my smile is even bigger now...time for a game of golf (and I don't even play golf LOL)...

Pretty simple equation IMHO....

Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,871,724 times
One thing I'm curious about with this supposed lower COL in Florida. I see everyone talking about such lower property taxes but what are the homeowners insurance costs down there? I know they are among the highest (if not THE highest) in the country; I know they were higher in NC than they are here (not high enough to completely take away the differences in prop. taxes but it certainly put a dent in it). Also are there not high HOA's in most florida subdivisions as well?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
One thing I'm curious about with this supposed lower COL in Florida. I see everyone talking about such lower property taxes but what are the homeowners insurance costs down there? I know they are among the highest (if not THE highest) in the country; I know they were higher in NC than they are here (not high enough to completely take away the differences in prop. taxes but it certainly put a dent in it). Also are there not high HOA's in most florida subdivisions as well?
Well, I can answer a bit here. As to Homeowners Insurance, mine IS higher in Florida.....my NY home is worth more, (bigger, etc) then my Florida home. NY home is about $600 per year, my Florida home is about $800 per year. Homeowners insurance varies greatly in Florida dependent on how close you are to the coast, construction, etc. I had a wind mitigation inspection done and it lowered my insurance even more.

As to HOA's only folks in gated communities and condo's have them. The cost varies greatly. My HOA fees are only $85.00 per month, and I feel I get a lot for that...no complaints here.

My lower taxes, lack of state tax, lower utility costs, (even with higher water cost), way lower maintance costs on home, car, etc, more then makes up for that.

Of course other factors my inpact others differently, and alter the outcome.....like lower wages, etc. For ME, the cost of living is lower in Florida then NY. For others, it may not be.

I just wanted to point out that not ALL Floridian's have HOA fees or ultra high Homeowners insurance.

Gas is cheaper, milk is higher, water is higher, overall utilities are cheaper, car's last longer, snow removal costs are WAY lower in Florida...........I DO spend more on suntan lotion down there though.......

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or