U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM

201 posts, read 559,137 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, this might seem a little old fashioned, but I am looking for any restaurant in town that has a sunday brunch that is a buffet style. I hear that Palmer's used to have one and also Ponderosa, but that most of them closed down over the years. I did some searching online but I cant seem to find anything. It's for a special occasion, so I'd like it to be special. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,609,784 times
If you want a nicer atmosphere, I know people that have done them at Mario's. I'm not a huge fan of their food for dinner but their brunch foods were actually pretty good and served buffet style.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,355,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If you want a nicer atmosphere, I know people that have done them at Mario's. I'm not a huge fan of their food for dinner but their brunch foods were actually pretty good and served buffet style.
I'm really not a fan of Mario's in general, they're pretty overrated for what they offer. They are also pretty expensive for the quality they offer.

The atmosphere for the brunch buffet is very dark and brooding, not at all the sort of bright and cheery atmosphere that is conducive to starting off your day. The food itself is mediocre at best, there's a fairly sizable selection, but most of it is left sitting in warmers to go stale. About the only thing that is 'fresh' are some basic Belgian waffles and made-to-order eggs (basically a choice of scrambled, over-easy or an omelet).

Several years ago, I went with some family to a Kansas restaurant with a breakfast buffet that was out of this world. Right atmosphere, fresh food, significantly more 'made to order' options, expensive, but worth it. I'll have to see if I can track down the info... nomnomnom.

To be honest, you'd be much better off going to someplace like IHOP, where you'll not have quite the same selection, but the food is typically cooked pretty well at a lower price.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
I'm really not a fan of Mario's in general, they're pretty overrated for what they offer. They are also pretty expensive for the quality they offer.

The atmosphere for the brunch buffet is very dark and brooding, not at all the sort of bright and cheery atmosphere that is conducive to starting off your day. The food itself is mediocre at best, there's a fairly sizable selection, but most of it is left sitting in warmers to go stale. About the only thing that is 'fresh' are some basic Belgian waffles and made-to-order eggs (basically a choice of scrambled, over-easy or an omelet).

Several years ago, I went with some family to a Kansas restaurant with a breakfast buffet that was out of this world. Right atmosphere, fresh food, significantly more 'made to order' options, expensive, but worth it. I'll have to see if I can track down the info... nomnomnom.

To be honest, you'd be much better off going to someplace like IHOP, where you'll not have quite the same selection, but the food is typically cooked pretty well at a lower price.
I don't know when you went but the food really doesn't go stale. Most of it is fresh as they keep having to refill the containers. I mean there are a couple of unpopular items that may sit for a while but most things get cycled through with fresh stuff due to people eating it all. Maybe it was dark a few years ago but the dining areas were bright and well lighted as recently as a few months ago. Though the area that you actually get the food is pretty dark. I think the food is good as far as the brunch selection goes. As far as the dinner menu goes, now that is expensive and overrated.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM

200 posts, read 529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
Hey everyone, this might seem a little old fashioned, but I am looking for any restaurant in town that has a sunday brunch that is a buffet style. I hear that Palmer's used to have one and also Ponderosa, but that most of them closed down over the years. I did some searching online but I cant seem to find anything. It's for a special occasion, so I'd like it to be special. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Hey Samuel -
I remembered reading this story last year and found it -
DISH '09: Buffets - Guides - Rochester City Newspaper
I can vouch for the Woodcliff, I was there last in July and it was great.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM

That article lists Crescent Beach. I had a bad experience there with horrible food that was not fresh. I don't know if that was a fluke or not.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 PM

41 posts, read 132,307 times
Mario's!!! I miss that place so much and go there every time I visit! Go early for the best selection of desserts.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,649,226 times
Golden Ponds:

GoldenPonds Restaurant & Party House (http://www.goldenpondspartyhouse.com/Restaurant.html - broken link)

Great brunch, and the people who own/run the place are nice. Very popular brunch joint on the west side. Easy to get to off 390 or the Parkway. Sets behind the Convenient corner store plaza on Long Pond Road.

Great party house and restaurant, too. I'm not a shill for them, however I do know some folks who know the owners, and my experiences there have always been positive. The place has been there for at least 25 years. Some of their competitors have closed within the last 5 years or so, and a couple of those were in business 80+ years.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 AM

201 posts, read 559,137 times
Thank you very much for the help. Golden Ponds seems like a great place to try. In addition to the sunday brunch they seem to have buffets almost every night. As far as Mario's I tried it one time as a family member had a wedding there. The food was pretty lacking. I can't tell if that's the food that my fam picked out or if that's the food Mario's recommended. Either way, it wasn't fantastic and I prefer Bazil's. I also heard Jine's offers a sunday, all you can eat brunch too so I'll have to check that out. And thanks for not suggesting "Grand Super Chinese Buffet" for a special occasion

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 AM

455 posts, read 1,355,575 times
Gah... people keep naming the restaurants I dislike (or despise) the most.

As for Mario's, the last time I was there was around 2 years ago, and I can't imagine they've changed the layout all that much.

Crescent Beach, went there with a group of friends (and my date) for Junior Prom. We made our reservation months in advance, confirming it several times between date we reserved it, and the actual prom. We get there and end up standing around for an hour and a half because they overbooked the place. When we finally did get seated, the foot was only mediocre, and took over an hour to arrive once we made our order. By the time we were done, the prom was 3/4 over. I will NEVER go there again.

I went to Golden Ponds for the wedding vow renewal for a friend of a friend. Aside from the high tension power lines right above the place (forget any semblance of ambiance), the food was very bland, mass-prepared crud you could find at any Ponderosa.

Bazil's is run by the same owner as Mario's, both times I've been there the service has been horrible and the food is underwhelming at best. Along with the food delivery being slow, the waitstaff all but disappeared after we received our food, and were rude when we had to eventually flag them down to get some refills on our water. On top of that, the owner is a member (or has family who is a member, I forget which) of the Webster town council, and has prevented at least one restaurant from opening in Webster because it would be in direct competition with Bazil's.

The Chinese Buffet's in general tend to be pretty shady in terms of quality. I have a Chinese friend who worked in a couple while growing up... and you really don't want to hear the horror stories.

Now as much as it may seem I'm a restaurant snob, I'm really not... I just expect to get what I pay for.

I haven't been to Jine's for brunch, but their food is very good in general. They're great in the summer, they put out a number of tables and chairs outside so you can enjoy the sun.

The Cheesecake Factory is actually pretty decent, not super-cheap, but still fairly reasonable. The environment is a little loud, but the waitstaff is friendly and attentive. Portions for the feature of your dish (like the steak or fish or whatever) are a little on the small side, filling in the rest of the plate with an overly large portion of the side dishes. However, the main features are cooked and flavored very well, dishes that would normally be very easy to overcook (ie - Steak Diane) were cooked perfectly (medium rare).

The Inn on Broadway is quite expensive, but very good. They have a lot of dishes you can't find anywhere else in Rochester. Black and Blue is also a little expensive, but they also have some of the best steak I've had. Richardson's Canal House is very nice, they have private dining rooms for two, as well as a great location right on the Canal.

Edwards (before they closed) made some fantastic French food, I went there for my Senior Ball (prom).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area