U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM

115 posts, read 292,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
And heres the other part, is traffic really that bad here? I find the only congested roads are the 590/490 interchange in the morning. I drive from the 590 to 531 every day, and construction aside, I have a smooth ride. So to me, the only valid point comes to environmental concerns. So buy a more fuel efficient car or walk more during the day.
Congestion is pretty bad but not as bad anymore since so much of downtown is now vacant coupled with the large population decline since the time when traffic was a major issue. I guess thats one way to solve the problem . Now if Rochester was running at full capacity it is a different story and a much more lucrative one for it's residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,129,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machino View Post
Congestion is pretty bad but not as bad anymore since so much of downtown is now vacant coupled with the large population decline since the time when traffic was a major issue. I guess thats one way to solve the problem . Now if Rochester was running at full capacity it is a different story and a much more lucrative one for it's residents.

Spending 222 million on a light rail system will not get Kodak, B&L, Xerox back on there knees! Does anyone out there think another big Corp. will move in to downtown Rochester just because of a light rail ? Would a light rail bring a mall much larger than Eastview?

Did anyone see the report yesterday about the commute ? Rochester is/ has the shortest commute in the U.S. Why would anyone take a rail that will stop between 5 and 15 times and possibly you would have to transfer on top of that instead of spending 15 mins. in a car not to mention doing it in the snow and it 5 outside?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,609,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Spending 222 million on a light rail system will not get Kodak, B&L, Xerox back on there knees! Does anyone out there think another big Corp. will move in to downtown Rochester just because of a light rail ? Would a light rail bring a mall much larger than Eastview?

Did anyone see the report yesterday about the commute ? Rochester is/ has the shortest commute in the U.S. Why would anyone take a rail that will stop between 5 and 15 times and possibly you would have to transfer on top of that instead of spending 15 mins. in a car not to mention doing it in the snow and it 5 outside?
agreed. Light rail would help after the companies already move downtown, not beforehand. There needs to be a decent population density in a larger land mass for it to work. I like the idea, but don't think it would work here as of now.
The only thing downtown is missing is retail. There are plenty of options for restaurants and night life. I don't think bringing in light rail would attract retailers. The retailers (along with other factors) would attract the light rail.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM

455 posts, read 1,355,471 times
The other major problem is the thug scum that plagues the city... since they've made over half of the city proper uninhabitable... unless you don't mind getting shot.

As far as the trip to NYC via the high speed rail, I don't think it would take 5 hours to get there. I know I heard mention of it traveling at more than 100 mph, with most high speed rails coming in around 110-125mph, it'd only take about 3.5 hours.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,319,091 times
Quote:
Its proven to be an economy booster, bring PEOPLE, development and jobs, and would allow for Downtown to be more than offices and empty parking lots. No one seems aware that Rochester comfortably fit 300,000+ people in the general area years ago and now at 200,000 we are far below capacity and it shows in our failing economy. The lack of vision is discouraging, especially considering it was not long ago that Rochester had a lot more going for it.
It will not boost the economy, one only has to look at Buffalo, which has a population not much larger than Rochester and is loosing it faster. The things that kept Rochester going for so long were the big business, which spun off smaller business. A light rail will do nothing at all for Kodak, Xerox, B&L or most any other company in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machino View Post
Lucrative!!!???? We have ZERO, $0.00, zilch, null, none, 0.00x10^4545415 dollars. The state has been over budget for what, the better part of 40 years. With the budget cuts Patterson is proposing to fix the problem, this is guaranteed to trickle down into the local municipalities. Duffy is projecting a HUGE budget gap. We have NO MONEY! The light rail is a pipe dream. Make the population grow again first.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,609,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
The other major problem is the thug scum that plagues the city... since they've made over half of the city proper uninhabitable... unless you don't mind getting shot.

As far as the trip to NYC via the high speed rail, I don't think it would take 5 hours to get there. I know I heard mention of it traveling at more than 100 mph, with most high speed rails coming in around 110-125mph, it'd only take about 3.5 hours.
There are only really a couple of areas that are high crime infested. Most of the city is fine. Random people don't get shot for the most part. I really don't think that would be a big issue. Other rail lines go through bad areas without incident.
Do you know what the average speed would be for the rail? From what I've gathered, it would top out at the 110-125 range, but only for a few minutes. The rest of the time it would be going much slower.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM

The idea that the light rail wouldn't spur development is dead wrong. See Denver and Phoenix for current examples of this. Population size is not relevant to this argument, Light Rail connections denote development and renewed interest.

Also the idea that it would be slow is absurd, they move very fast and with 8-10 stops, most trips would take 5 minutes.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
It will not boost the economy, one only has to look at Buffalo, which has a population not much larger than Rochester and is loosing it faster. The things that kept Rochester going for so long were the big business, which spun off smaller business. A light rail will do nothing at all for Kodak, Xerox, B&L or most any other company in the area.

Lucrative!!!???? We have ZERO, $0.00, zilch, null, none, 0.00x10^4545415 dollars. The state has been over budget for what, the better part of 40 years. With the budget cuts Patterson is proposing to fix the problem, this is guaranteed to trickle down into the local municipalities. Duffy is projecting a HUGE budget gap. We have NO MONEY! The light rail is a pipe dream. Make the population grow again first.
Buffalo is not an example of a successfully implemented light rail, and has some problems leading back decades to how they chose to develop their downtown even with a light rail. I have said Rochester's light rail will also require the support of intelligent urban planning, as would any project. Having said this, I don't even know where you are getting the information it is a failure, their ridership has increased exponentially in recent years.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 PM

726 posts, read 1,865,173 times
Light Rail does attract businesses and residential real estate development. Companies build and develop along light rails because they think it will be easier to find workers, and it kind of feeds off each other. Meaning residences pop up because they can say "near light rail", businesses also develop because people are living right there and service industries (restaurants, hotels, etc) open because it is perceived as most convenient. It's a proven formula. Most cities (even those with declining populations) are trying to get on board with a light so to speak.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post

What about small businesses? Catering only to the big corps and forgetting the local/small businesses or the mom and pops are exactly why Downtown looks the way it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area