Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times

Advertisements

Our only major league team is currently the Rochester Knighthawks but, who watches lacrosse outside of this region? The Rhinos could have joined the MLS ten years ago but what happened to that? Will we ever get a team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Do we want/need one? Buffalo has the Bills and Sabres close by. They can also be a huge money drain on the region. Although it definitely gives name recognition to the city, can Buffalo even afford it?

I have mixed opinions on sports teams. For Buffalo I think removing the Bills would be the final nail in the coffin. The sports in the area bring people together and keeps the city recognized across the country. However I do know how much money goes into the team. I don't know if you are looking for a sports team for economic reasons or for more entertainment? I know studies have been done on the economic impact of sports and they typically have little impact. Personally, given the economic climate of New York, Rochester does ok.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Sports stadiums can also be a drain. The soccer stadium is Exhibit A. Can't sustain itself, and the latest I've heard is the team's owners cooked the books for several years to make their finances and attendance numbers appear to be at least marginal.

MLS tried to rope Rochester into vying for a team. Rochester now has a half-assed stadium in a rat trap part of town for a lesser league team that hasn't done especially well in years. I'm a former season ticket holder, and used to hear all the scuttlebut on Rochester sports teams. The "sports authority" is corrupt and shouldn't even exist.

I agree with cheese, why have any more professional teams when Buffalo has the Sabres and Bills? A lot of the season ticket holders for those teams are from Rochester and southern Ontario.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:15 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Sorry to be Mr. negative but Rochester is a very small market and will never get a real pro team. Buffalo is a small market and is struggling to stay alive hence the rumors of them leaving.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:55 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Sorry to be Mr. negative but Rochester is a very small market and will never get a real pro team. Buffalo is a small market and is struggling to stay alive hence the rumors of them leaving.
That's somewhat deceiving as many people come from the Rochester, Erie/NW PA, Jamestown, Southern Ontario and if it's the Bills, the Syracuse/CNY areas for games there. So, the fan base is much bigger than the immediate Buffalo metro area.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
In a soccer crazy town like Rochester, an MLS team would have been a reasonable venture. I think the opportunity has probably passed on that but you never know.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
In a soccer crazy town like Rochester, an MLS team would have been a reasonable venture. I think the opportunity has probably passed on that but you never know.
I agree. Buffalonians at the Bills games used to ask us all the time about Rochester's soccer team (back when they were at Frontier), so they would have pulled from all over that end of NY (Syracuse to Buffalo, and down to the Southern Tier).

Their plan was flawed, though. The Red Wings are really the only team which has been managed consistently well, although they've had some issues, too.

They should have put the stadium out at Elmgrove. It's sad that so much has been politicized with regards to prof. sports in that town.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's somewhat deceiving as many people come from the Rochester, Erie/NW PA, Jamestown, Southern Ontario and if it's the Bills, the Syracuse/CNY areas for games there. So, the fan base is much bigger than the immediate Buffalo metro area.

Iʻm not deceived at all . lets make an unfair comparison. lets say we live in Orlando and they think that they deserve a baseball team. Whats thrie population in the county of Orange? and we all know that people will come from outside to see a Major league Baseball team lets say that its safe to say they will drive 45 minutes each way to see a game. thatʻs alot of people isnʻt it.

OK no lets say that we do this in Rochester and they drive 1 hour we do this because we know that its an hour to Buff. and Syracuse.
Would you drive an hour each way to sit at a game and drive back at 11 at night? I know I would maybe 2 or 3 times a season and then I would go to some day games but I like Baseball.

So which city will be able to get a team ?
Why does Rochester deserve a team more than Orlando?
will Rochester pay twice the average ticket price to make up the difference in seats that Orlando will fill ?
What makes Orlando deserve it more than Rochester?

The only thing that I know is I was in Orlando a while ago talking to a friend in public service I asked him why Orlando doesnʻt have a pro Baseball team he said "the market was to small with Tampa having a team they would not get enough people to buy tickets."
Tampa is over 2 hours away if i remember correctly.
Do you think that Uncle George (Yankee) would even let you get a team? He wonʻt even let you watch a game unless you pay for yes or drive to the game!

I think we should enjoy our teams that we have and when we can drive/fly and see the big boys play we might even see one of our minor league rs play.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:40 PM

42 posts, read 104,626 times
I would rather have a D1 College Basketball team in the area. Buffalo has Canisius, Niagara, etc. I think a D1 hoops team in Rochester would do very well.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
We would forever be in the shadow of the Orange Men if that were to happen. I believe UofR is in the top of the D1 squash league though! (seriously, my son toured the campus a few years ago and they told us that).

I'm sure RIT could successfully launch the nation's first D1 robot battling league team though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area