Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,409 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a family (4 kids age 10-16) moving to the Rochester area this summer. We are looking for your advice as to best neighborhood to settle in.
As "best" may be subjective, here are our criteria:
#1 safe
#2 good education (middle and high schools)
#3 good warm people
#4 quiet and green
#5 nice houses
Our budget is at the $400K.
Your advice is highly appreciated.
Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
With your price range...Pittsford is the most obvious choice. Unless you would prefer to be closer to the water, then Webster would be a good option as well. Pittsford is the Rochester area ( as well of all of Upstate NY's) most affluent town. It has top rated schools, beautiful houses on lush green yards (be they brand new or 150 years old) and definitely safe and family oriented.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,603 times
For Pittsford, 4 out of 5 isn't bad (#3 is questionable haha), but if you haven't, make sure you research taxes when determining your budget. Property and school taxes on a $400k house will run you at least $1k/month!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM

haha I missed #3. I hate to stereotype but yes, Pittsford has an image of a somewhat pretentious place. There are plenty of nice friendly people who live there too, but there is definitely no shortage of snobs.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about Brighton? It seems to fit all of those criteria and is closer to the city of Rochester. I think a sleeper is West Irondequoit and you can still be close to the water there too. Both of these areas are a bit more "diverse"(which is also subjective) than Pittsford or Webster, if that is a "bonus" thing one is looking for. These websites can give you an idea about the schools in the immediate area: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Monroe (broken link)

Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM

466 posts, read 982,311 times
West Irondequoit, towards the lake would be a very good option. Good school and great people. Areas like Rock Beach Rd have fantastic houses right on the water which very well could be in your price range.

I'd also look at Fairport, always been a favorite of mine. Nice town on the canal, good people, good schools and lots of nice neighborhoods.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Actually, looking over the OP's requests more now, (specifically the "open and green" part), I'd include areas like Mendon, Rush, Hilton/Parma. Mendon would put them in Pittsford schools but in a more affluent semi-rural town with less of a "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I thought about Hilton, Fairport and maybe even Penfield too. Another place that I think gets underrated in the Rochester area is Brockport. It has the college/small town feel, is still pretty close to Rochester, but is still far enough away to be it's own thing, it still seems to fit the criteria of the OP, the Erie Canal runs through the community, it has a nice little Downtown and the college has things going on that the local community can enjoy. I've heard that taxes in the village can be on the high end, but there might be some nice homes just outside of the village with lower taxes.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,603 times
I'd throw Ogden into the mix. There are a number of $300k houses available that are very large and/or have a barn and setup for horses, if you are into that. Spencerport schools are very good. The only thing not quiet might be dirt bikes and snowmobiles (especially Carolotta Dr. and Chambers St., as well as properties close to the power lines)

Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 PM

118 posts, read 626,827 times
I'm partial to Mendon, in the Honeoye Falls-Lima school district. I am pretty sure no one would argue with me that it meets every one of your criteria. The question is, how far of a drive would you want to work. Pretty much any location in the greater Rochester area is 20 minutes to downtown, but if you live on the complete western edge of the county and have to work all the way on the eastern side, it is a good 45 minute drive.

Best wishes to you on your move to the Rochester area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area