U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 05:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,281,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
To me, a pole barn ( for cattle) must either be a 3 sides enclosed, 1 side open or be insulated ( sidewalls and cieling ) and electrically ventillated with fans ( confinement barn)

Having livestock cattle in a fully enclosed , non insulated .non ventilated, building is an unhealthy disaster.
I've only been a country dweller for a couple of years. I had no idea that barns were insulated these days.

There are some Amish near me. If anyone knows about building barns it seems they should know. They've even got a lumber mill out there.

I think I'm going to drive out there and talk to some of them and see how much they would charge to build one.

Sounds like I need to start saving some money....
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,586 times
Quote:
To me, a pole barn ( for cattle) must either be a 3 sides enclosed, 1 side open or be insulated ( sidewalls and cieling ) and electrically ventillated with fans ( confinement barn)

Having livestock cattle in a fully enclosed , non insulated .non ventilated, building is an unhealthy disaster.
Hey Marmac,

Not sure if you were directing your comments to me. We aren't keeping our five heifers in the pole barn. They are outside in the elements, year round.

Our neighbor has a wooden barn with a few stalls that he would let us use if we needed to confine one of them. The pole barn is my dh's workshop, a place to keep the tractor, the lawn mower, gardening tools, for working on cars, and storage. It's been a dream of his to have an outbuilding, and now he finally has one. We didn't build it ourselves, so the cost was including labor.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hey Marmac,

Not sure if you were directing your comments to me. We aren't keeping our five heifers in the pole barn. They are outside in the elements, year round.

Our neighbor has a wooden barn with a few stalls that he would let us use if we needed to confine one of them. The pole barn is my dh's workshop, a place to keep the tractor, the lawn mower, gardening tools, for working on cars, and storage. It's been a dream of his to have an outbuilding, and now he finally has one. We didn't build it ourselves, so the cost was including labor.
I guess terminology differs depending on regions/areas.
Here , we would call any pole shed not used for livestock a " pole building"

I , on a different farm, cofused people cuz I had a 50 x 90 combination pole building.
The front half was a 50x45 machine shed with split sliding doors.
There then was a wall with 2 split sliding doors that entered into a 50x45 cattle barn with the south side open.

Complete cost fully erected was $5,700

That was built in 1971, though

Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,586 times
Quote:
I guess terminology differs depending on regions/areas.
Here , we would call any pole shed not used for livestock a " pole building"

I , on a different farm, cofused people cuz I had a 50 x 90 combination pole building.
The front half was a 50x45 machine shed with split sliding doors.
There then was a wall with 2 split sliding doors that entered into a 50x45 cattle barn with the south side open.

Complete cost fully erected was $5,700

That was built in 1971, though
That's an amazing bargain!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
That's an amazing bargain!
In 1971, I agonized for a few weeks if I should have it built.

I had bought a new Plymouth Fury hardtop in 1968 for $2960.( just to illustrate prices back then )

Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM

206 posts, read 1,050,810 times
Quote:

To me a pole barn is any structure that is constructed with POLES as it's main source of strength. Our barn has 6x6 posts 8 feet apart for the most part. The large doors you see in the picture in my previous post are 10 feet tall. There is another set of doors on the back side you don't see, 8 foot. Then that window. The side with the big doors faces southwest and is the direction we get most of our weather from. All doors and the window are open 24 x 7 and there are 4 fans running inside. The area around the roof and beams is not closed in. There are birds flying in and out and nesting in there. The livestock hide out in there during the heat of the day, but for the most part they like it outside in the adjoining pastures.

Here are some more pictures of what it looked like when we started and the inside when we were done. Of course that was before we installed the stall skins on the floor over the gravel. We don't raise cattle, or goats or pigs.... but Alpacas... they are much gentler on the land and they don't poop in the barn ... they all go in basically the same place outside.

Of course this is only our female barn, the boys have a 3 sided structure that basically looks the same, with room for storage in the back of the stalls and doors on the back outside to get access without going through the pasture and gates. That is the 3rd picture

How much does it cost to build a barn???-dsc04926s.jpgHow much does it cost to build a barn???-dsc04477s.jpg

How much does it cost to build a barn???-dsc05125s.jpg

Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM

The last barn I had someone build was in 1998.
My 2 story........36x70 dairy barm.......31 tie stalls.....burned down.

I built a 40x160 ft pole barn.
The front 24 ft is insulated and has 8 stanchions for rotating the milk cows thru twice a day at milking, plus a Grade A milk house with a 400 gallon milk bulk tank.

The rest of the barn is open to the south and used as a loafing shed for the herd.

Total cost-------site prep, construction, electrical wiring,plumbing , was $60,000 ( the exact amount my underinsured dairy barn insurance check was.

For a beef operation ?-----------too expensive
For a dairy operation ?----------quite a reasonable price.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,901,561 times
Quote:
To me, a pole barn ( for cattle) must either be a 3 sides enclosed, 1 side open or be insulated ( sidewalls and cieling ) and electrically ventillated with fans ( confinement barn).
Sounds like "pole barn" means different things to different people.

Where I grew up, a pole barn had 2 or three sides, the other sides open.

When I referred to a pole barn in my first post, I was referring to what most folks here in mid-TN are talking about...basically a few pole supports with a roof on it, usually tin...main purpose to keep hay dry and that's it. Pretty simple and inexpensive.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,432,420 times
24x40, $2000 in 2010. (I think it was actually closer to $1500, but I'll over-estimate for the sake of conversation and we got our telephone poles for free).

Ours is a pole barn also. We buried a number of telephone poles, strung 2x12s across them to bear the weight of the roof, and 2x6s for the walls. Walls were skinned with PT ply, though steel probably would have been better (and will probably be what we re-skin it with later).
Dirt floor.

The key here is that we did all of the work ourselves.

I know this is an old thread, bumped only because a salesman hit it, but I thought it was worth tossing out some more numbers.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,658,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
24x40, $2000 in 2010. (I think it was actually closer to $1500, but I'll over-estimate for the sake of conversation and we got our telephone poles for free).

Ours is a pole barn also. We buried a number of telephone poles, strung 2x12s across them to bear the weight of the roof, and 2x6s for the walls. Walls were skinned with PT ply, though steel probably would have been better (and will probably be what we re-skin it with later).
Dirt floor.

The key here is that we did all of the work ourselves.

I know this is an old thread, bumped only because a salesman hit it, but I thought it was worth tossing out some more numbers.
yep timely thread.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living